Changing locks + Ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2010, 10:20 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Changing locks + Ignition

I am looking to change all my locks and the ignition. Called a few dealers and the lowest quote I got for the lock set was $379. They told me that I would have to program the new keys, which come with the set.

I'm a bit confused. If I am purchasing a new set of locks with everything, including 3 keys, based on a vin# search, shouldn't the new keys come programmed to the immobilizer thats included in the kit.

I'm trying to figure out what needs to be done, since I will be performing the change myself and saving up to $ 500 on labor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.
Old 05-22-2010, 11:39 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
remove each door panel for lock access to change them out

OR call a locksmith, they may be able to change the inner part where the key goes- so it only accepts a different key now (if angry ex has a key for example)
Old 05-22-2010, 06:17 PM
4th Gear

Thanx for the input.

I thought about doing that but decided to change them all out anyways. For the door locks, I know how to do them, my confusion arises about the ignition however.
Old 05-22-2010, 06:45 PM
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hitier01
I'm a bit confused. If I am purchasing a new set of locks with everything, including 3 keys, based on a vin# search, shouldn't the new keys come programmed to the immobilizer thats included in the kit.
You shouldn't need a new immobilizer unit if your current one is fine. If all you're trying to do is swap out the locks you just need the locks/ignition/keys.

What happens is that the immobilizer unit reads the electronic code off of your key and sends another encoded signal to the ECU. The ECU then just sees if that encoded signal is registered in its memory. If not, then that key will not start the car.

So once you have your locks & ignition installed, you have to go to the dealer so that they can tell the ECU to recognize the ultimate encoded signals the immobilizer unit sends to it based on what it reads off your key(s).

So yes, you do need to go in to the dealer for programming, otherwise the car will not start.
Old 05-22-2010, 08:55 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
crazy ex wife?
Old 05-23-2010, 01:23 AM
4th Gear

hahah at this point I wish it was some crazy ex (at least I would know where to get my key back from).

Unfortunately my backpack was stolen and along with that a set of keys. So in addition to locks and ignition, I also need to change the immobilizer ring. This is where my issue arises. (Maybe I should have stated this in my initial thread to avoid confusion, sorry this is my first post as I am fairly new to the Acura world)

I've read numerous threads but they are usually about programming an additional key. I haven't come across someone who did this kind of replacement that I'm looking to do. It would be perfect if that was the case.

Thank you all for your time and feedback!!!!!!
Old 05-23-2010, 08:41 PM
2000 acura tl FPR

Received 58 Likes on 50 Posts
ouch. gotta love thieves sorry to hear bout that good luck with your adventure. is insurance going to cover this?
Old 05-23-2010, 11:05 PM
I got the Shifts

Received 230 Likes on 163 Posts
RICHIE V6 programs keys. so hit him up. he is a vendor and cheap
Old 05-23-2010, 11:15 PM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
hahah at this point I wish it was some crazy ex (at least I would know where to get my key back from).

Unfortunately my backpack was stolen and along with that a set of keys. So in addition to locks and ignition, I also need to change the immobilizer ring. This is where my issue arises. (Maybe I should have stated this in my initial thread to avoid confusion, sorry this is my first post as I am fairly new to the Acura world)

I've read numerous threads but they are usually about programming an additional key. I haven't come across someone who did this kind of replacement that I'm looking to do. It would be perfect if that was the case.

Thank you all for your time and feedback!!!!!!

did your backpack, have some type of insurance card in it, that they might be able to ID what car is yours???

to me personeally it sounds like you are being a little anal about it, but i would just get the immobilizer chip ID removed from the ecu, of the lost key, so it will not start it anymore
then get the keyfob code erased also, so they can't just go through a parking lot, and click it till your car unlocks (basically they have to go up to every acura and try the key in it)

or you could also just change the door locks themselves, and not worry about the ignition one, since the key would be erased from memory, so it won't start it anyways, but you will then have two keys for the car though, one for the doors (which as long as the keyfob works, should be no biggie) then one for the ignition with the correct code (and btw the one for the doors could be bought at home depot or something, since it would not need a immobilizer chip on it)
Old 05-24-2010, 12:34 AM
4th Gear

Thanx for all ur comments.

friesm2000, you bring up a good point. I could just change the door locks and carry two separate keys, which won't be such a big deal since I always open the door with the FOB. Thanx for the tip
Old 05-24-2010, 07:53 AM
B A N N E D

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Thanx for all ur comments.

friesm2000, you bring up a good point. I could just change the door locks and carry two separate keys, which won't be such a big deal since I always open the door with the FOB. Thanx for the tip
np, and don't forget to get the old key and fob erased from memory, so then they are pointless

then also for that second key, you could also just point it in one of those hide-a-key boxes, and just have to remember where you put it, when the fob does not work

then also to help save more money, just disconnect the passenger's door lock both mechanically (linkage) and electrically (wiring to unlock all the other doors), it is not like you need that lock, you just need one to get into the car itself, hell look at the 3g TL, they only got a driver's door one, nothing on the passenger door