carpc carputer in the 2nd gen tl

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2007, 04:21 PM
Back in a TL again.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb carpc carputer in the 2nd gen tl

hi has anyone seen pictures of a car pc aka carputer in our tl's ?? i searched the fourm didnt find anything on the 2nd gen.

I'm thinking about

A. pulling out the oem nav and fitting it there giving it an oem look

or

B. or fitting it where the stereo goes

any ideas or suggestions
Old 01-15-2007, 04:53 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think fitting it where the stereo goes is too low for navi functionality, the stock navi location works pretty well for 'at a glance' looks without taking your eyes completely off the road.

https://acurazine.com/forums/showpos...69&postcount=6
Old 01-15-2007, 05:25 PM
Back in a TL again.

thanks

thats something that im looking to do wonder why it didnt show up when i searched, im going to try and do an 8 inch screen with a little cutting to fit it in ill take pictures when ill start the prosses.
Old 01-15-2007, 05:47 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

I've got the Xenarc 7" touch/widescreen, I'm not sure how a 8" 4:3 would work out though. An 8" widescreen would be sweet, I haven't worked on this project in some time so they may be available now. I've got the Via 1Ghz 17cm x 17cm all in one board stuffed into my armrest and the GPS antenna in the rear deck underneath where the stock sub went. Works pretty well there, oddly enough. Closer to the window messes it up, probably the defroster grid and/or radio antenna. The DC-DC power supply is from the mp3car forums site.
Old 01-15-2007, 06:23 PM

heres another idea

https://acurazine.com/forums/showthr...light=carputer
Old 01-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Back in a TL again.

so far i have a harddrive from a laptop 100gig for all the mp3 albums

itx power supply dc to dc for the mb,hd,cpu etc

slot load dvdrw drive

8" touch screen lcd

now im shopping for a mb and cpu to fit my needs i want to use a laptop that i have that the screen is broken but cant seem to figure out how i would set it up to turn of when the car shuts of and turn on when i turn the car on since its a laptop ill have to mess around with it maybe ill get it to work

and next on my list will be the amps to run the audio system
Old 01-15-2007, 10:20 PM
Honda Noob

you might want to check mp3car.com......the site has almost everything you could possible think of dealing with regarding a carpc
Old 01-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by vetalik
hi has anyone seen pictures of a car pc aka carputer in our tl's ?? i searched the fourm didnt find anything on the 2nd gen.

I'm thinking about

or

any ideas or suggestions
Another washingtonian...you should come out to one of our meets when you have time...

Check out AcuraZine meets...there's a Seattle/Tacoma thread going on there.

P.S. Do situation A...I would like to see that.
Old 01-16-2007, 11:17 AM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Here are some pic of a 99 tl with a carputer

Old 01-16-2007, 11:19 AM
I like cars.

Received 163 Likes on 119 Posts
Originally Posted by vetalik

I'm thinking about

or

any ideas or suggestions
Dont put it where the navi is, the glare from the sun would not let you see the scree, unless you create a shade of some sort but i think it would look to weird.
Old 01-16-2007, 06:28 PM
Back in a TL again.

it just came to my senses that the ac runs on the nav unit the manuel control part of it, where the ac turns on off blower speed would the climate control off a non navi tl still plug and play with mine?
Old 01-16-2007, 06:34 PM
Smitty's Moral Police

Good question, the plugs are the same but since the navi controls functions it may not be reverse compatible? The navi AC controls do work on a non-navi (but you lose fan speed and AC on/off, which is why I went the way I did).
Old 01-16-2007, 07:54 PM
Wish

yup

yup i've been thinkin about this inside out.... working out hte solutions and well basically there is this one method i have in mind but still haven't gotten around to try it yet. the FAN speed.. well honestly.. thats useless.... since you have temp control... with or without ac.. the climate control will set the fan speed... BUT AC is important so i figured.. why not extract the AC component... now this will be time consumin and might require some electrical skills but it will most likely work..

the AC control is located in the center... so extract that portion and connect it. (if possible) or SPLIT the wires so u connect it to the new digital climate control (thats slim) AND the old one but extend the wires to the old one that u can hide in ur glove box or something.. this way u can control ur temp 2 different ways ... and u still have AC.

cheap diagram: ___________ NAVI screen = carputer screen.
|
MAIN UNIT: --------------------------------------------- OLD CLIMATE CONTROL with AC
|
|
|__NAVI climate control (slim with digital controls)

HOLY S***, i just realised if we can extend the old climate control (by splittin the wires) , then why not put iti n the back so the ppl in the back can control the ac and speed too..... that would be kick ass
Old 01-16-2007, 08:34 PM
Back in a TL again.

your thinking is pretty cool but thats alot of wiring to do i was thinking one of two options going with the ac controls of the non navi unit

2, keeping just the auto climate control but when you use auto the ac pump tends to stay on 24/7 needed or not maybe wiring a ac on/off button .

i guess i have a third idea one is to wire the whole climate control unit in to the carputer yes there will be some wiring that i can do only down side to that part is if carputer crashed your screwed if its hot no a/c when it cold no heat unless some how like you said put in the glove box or center console. as a back up i read a little to much on the car pc i have so many ideas so little time
Old 01-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Wish

your right

well that idea is very time consuming and honestly, time is money. if we all had all the time in the world, we all would've been doing so many other things but we don't and thats y we pay the price to get things done within our time range.

and yes your 100% right abotu the ac being on 24/7... damn i hate that fact.. but if you can get it wired where you can turn on and off the ac, that pretty much would solve your problem... in toronto here, its like -10 celsius, not sure what that is in fahrenheit but i usually hit the auto button followed by hittin the ac button to turn it off. so i would be screwed without the ac button cuz who wants the ac on when its this cold? ..

i'm still thinkin about my idea... a lot of wiring.. a lot of time... cuz each of those clips (i think there is 3 clips at the back of the limate control) have like 10 thin wires attached so thats like 30 thin wires your basically splittin and extending, if its done, i can hook up the second climate control to the arm rest. or i would just hide it somewhere and wire the ac button to the dash.

ur first time is good though.. someone did it here but can't find the link, they retrofitted the OLD ac climate controls to old factory radio position.. and it looks so flawless.. i'm not sure how they did it.. that is the only other easy possibility.

then again , another person mentioned that it would be too bright and I agree with him 100%. i have a carputer and the touch screens are horrible in sunlight, and the old navi screen looks like it will reflect all sunlight.

good luck, i'll post pics of my carputer soon!! i'm at work now. no pics here.
Old 01-16-2007, 09:30 PM
Back in a TL again.

did some research found this

so get one thats bigger and slap it on there for the glare and with the oem navi the glare on the map does not seem to be that bad..

and as far as the climate control goes im going to go for one of another car maybe and wiring it to my harness

one of these

and molding it where the oem deck was???
Old 01-16-2007, 09:54 PM
Wish

wow

that climate control you had before with the wood, thats sick but are you sure that will work with our units or you can get it to work? if so, i would love to do that because that gives the car some really nice luxury looks...

as for the second peice... where did u get that from? older tl? molding it probably might be the best option if you are going the navi-car puter route ... and yes those anti glare things do work BUT they reduce the brightness of the screen dramatically... unless u get those transreflective screens @ www.mp3car.com which is like 700$ .. (ya rite) ...

i've been plannin the navi-carputer thing for a while myself so i'll keep u informed of my progress... i rather have ti at the top so i can seee the gps stuff easier and keep the bottom screen space for watching movies... (u gotta see my car soon)
Old 01-16-2007, 10:01 PM
Back in a TL again.

sweet cant wait to see your car. as far as going with the other climate control in my 97 audi a4 i put a double din head unit and had to get rid of the climate control. it was a pain, what i did is got a wiring guide from gm climate control and wired the gm one since it was smaller and fit and the wiring from the a4 everything worked only thing i spent about 12 hours on it straight, almost went crazy.

and i think i will be able to live with a little glare since imgoing with e 8 inch screen maybe ill have it sit a bit deeper give it a big of a shade on its own. since my windows are tinted if the sunroof is closed it wont bother me.

biggest reason why i want it where the nav is for the pure oem finish and look.also the whole gps option so i can reduce taking my eyes of the road.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:10 PM
Back in a TL again.

sorry im not dyslexic took my eyes of the screen while typing talking to a customer. for all the errors
Old 01-16-2007, 10:11 PM
Back in a TL again.

sorry for the errors took my eyes of the screen while typing and talking to a customer.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:12 PM
Wish

oem look

tahts y i wanted to do it as well because it gives a very nice oem look and newer cars nowadays have the screen at the tom like the bmws. and i guess you can mount it a lil deeper to get rid of the flare, i actually calculated everything because i have very deep tints and sunroof is tinted, even top of my windshield is a lil tinted and still glare but hopefully that will the minor issue to deal with. like i mentioned, this is something that i have been plannin for quite a while,

however the kit i currently have, which i will be sellling and i'm sure most ppl here would love to have this is a specially custom made kit that gives you the ability to have 2 screens and a deck in the front. yes u heard. hehe the pic will explain it once i post it.

and if you can wire an audi's with a gm, thats kickass! SKILLS, i'm not sure how thats done since i always thought acura's programmin is different then audis but oh well... if thats the case, could it be easier to just program a single button to turn on and off the ac, thats the easiest way along with the navi climate control. this way no retrofittin required.

i'm puttin in a yellowtop soon, still looking around because i'm powering 6 screens in the car right now and with the factory battery after a good drive, it can last about 10 minutes.. horrible!! with 2 screens, its about 30 minutes.. i have a video amplifier in my car.. yes a video AMP lol which powers all the screens nicely and keeps them nice and bright.
Old 01-16-2007, 10:26 PM
Back in a TL again.

the ac button is what im leaning twords i can just keep the climate control i have now and mod it to that.

as far as two screens i think its to much for me i want to keep it simple my bmw had all the head rest trunk visors center consol everything screened out lol.

yeah everytime i sit in the tl i mastermind how im going to do the install
Old 01-16-2007, 10:29 PM
Wish

ha

true... the reason i 'm plannin 2 screens is, my carputer has dual screen outputs, and one screen will be dedicated for GPS 24/7, the second screen is for other activities , movies, dvds, song play etc. this way i have more flexibility.
Old 01-17-2007, 10:30 PM
Back in a TL again.

how do you run two things on two monitors with one pc? im going to do the ac button on of to the side some where
Old 01-18-2007, 11:08 AM
Wish

ohh

well... runnin it off to the side is good as long as its accessible as well as looking close to stock (eg. not something sittin underneath the seat of anything, but maybe inside the glove box)

as for dual monitors, just get a video card that has dual outputs .. or u can even get those USB video cards that allow dual outputs...

U know something that most ppl haven't tried which i'm plannin to do..... dual TOUCH SCREENS, one in the front, and 2 in the back where my headrest screens are.... this way.. controls can be done at the back or front ... its teh same thing as having multiple mice and keyboards in a computer. of course i'll be puttin in an override switch incase there are annoying friends in the back who keep changing the songs.

Old 01-18-2007, 03:08 PM
Back in a TL again.

sounds sweet i dont care about the people in the back so no need for the screens there and as far as the button for the ac i might just put the non nav controls in i already ordered it off ebay ill post some pics once i recive a few more things i ordered
Old 01-18-2007, 06:09 PM
Wish

no ac

so no ac button? man i wish it was easier to post pics... soo lazy to go and copy and paste.. i'll paste later on when i'm a lil more buzzed... only 2 hienz so far lol....

p.s i'm heading down to woodbine acura (tdot) to pick up my kit.... so excited.... i'm plannin on repainting the car NBP or some really nice black shiny gloss paint!!
Old 01-19-2007, 11:45 AM
Back in a TL again.

man i love black one of the most sexyest colors but dam i have to wash my car every two days if not every other day to keep it looking good and you can see every nik scratch swirl its a shame almost. i sometimes wish i choose the pearl white tl.....