Car Wash - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2003, 10:18 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Wash - Suggestions?

I don't trust the car wash with my black TL but sometimes I don't have the time and need a clean car within half hour or so.

Does anyone have any advice on which type of car wash would be ok for the finish?

I have never left a touchless one with a dry car and end up with water spots. Also, when I leave a full service wash, there are swirls all over the car.

I understand that washing your own car is the best way. I was curious if anyone has some car wash tips?

Thanks in advance...
Old 08-25-2003, 10:25 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I really don't know of a national chain that does a good job. The only one around here (Cincinnati) that is marginally decent is Mike's Car Wash. It's about $12 for the top wash and all the guys run around in shirts and ties but they don't clean your interior or do the windows inside.

The best one I like around my house is a place called Johnny's Car Wash. I think they only have one location but for $20 (including tip) they do a pretty decent job. They use respectable looking wax(es) and get the windows spottless. Been around for about 50 years but it still can't measure up to doing it your self at home (no high pressure water bays).
Old 08-25-2003, 10:33 AM
USMC Butterbars

Originally posted by Tom Blasing
Been around for about 50 years but it still can't measure up to doing it your self at home (no high pressure water bays).
whats wrong with high pressure water bays? will they do damage to our cars?
Old 08-25-2003, 10:55 AM
is the Mighty Favog

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by shimbo519
whats wrong with high pressure water bays? will they do damage to our cars?
Well, the paint on our cars can be rather thin and using the foam brush that's been used on every other pick up trucks mud flaps isn't something I want touch my car.

The high pressure water is o.k. to rinse off and to spray the under carraige but I wouldn't rely on it to get all the dirt off since it doesn't actually touch the car.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:11 AM
Banned

the only car wash i would ever use is the touchfree ones that use high pressure water. but they dont always take off all the dirt.
Old 08-25-2003, 11:13 AM
Burning Brakes

Well, the paint on our cars can be rather thin
I never go to car washes. I don't like the chemicals they use. I don't like the fact that "hand wash" is a guy with a wash mitt that he's been using for the past ten cars. I don't like the towels they use to "dry" the car. But then again, I spent 4 hours last week and 6 hours yesterday detailing....so I guess people do what they gotta do.

Might want to check out something like this.
http://www.poorboysworld.com/waterlesswash.htm
Old 08-25-2003, 11:16 AM
The axeman Cometh

My personal take on this would be to deal with the dirt until you can clean it yourself. There really is no substitute or shortcut so I have been seen driving around with a dirty car but I have virtually NO swirl marks anywhere on my 99.

Only in the dead of winter do I take my car to a brushless wash. After everything dries, you really see what a crappy job it does then I get pissed because I spent 8 bux for nothing...

Axe
Old 08-25-2003, 11:23 AM
Still sluggin' it out

I run a touchless wash in the Philly area. We are a chain of 4 sites and I'll tell you from experience, these washes are only for anal-retentive car owners like myself that wash their car 1-2 times a week, regardless of the weather.

Also, the wash is only as good as the towel dry. Let's face it-in order to get dirt off, you need some kind of friction. Whether it's brushes that are dirty as $h!t or clean towels used after the majority of the dirt as been blasted away, that is the simple fact.

If you use a touchless wash in your area frequently (AT LEAST once a week) and maintain your paint's finish with polish (to remove the deep dirt) and wax (to keep a good bead) you will have excellent results.

Check out our website safetywash.com

GOOD LUCK!!
Old 08-25-2003, 08:04 PM
Ackniculous One

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I wash my car myself as well. But, when the car has been through crazy dust or dirt, I go to car washes that have the upside down "L" wash arm that does a 360 around your car and uses very high pressure. Those work really good. And I go every once in a while to get an undercarriage wash as well.

Another good one I saw in Memphis TN. This was a brushless wash and you pull in. Your parked under an arch rail. The sprayer goes over your car while rotating as it travels back and forth along the arch rails.. So it will spray below the bumpers on both ends and will even get lower side skirts. Best brushless car wash I ever seen.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:29 AM
Advanced

thanks for the info. as my last resort, i found a hand wash that does a decent job. i am thinking that i will just have to request that they use new towels or at least not the ones in their hands.
Old 08-26-2003, 09:54 PM
Advanced

Love my 99,
You run Duke's Firehouse (SafetyWash)?? I found out about that place when I was living in Norristown this past winter. I was looking all over for somewhere to wash my car when it was freezing out. Tried one automatic place but it left swirls and the rail that moves the car scratched up my underbody kit (even with no drop at that time).
Then I tried SafetyWash after my roomate told me about it. I must say that it was nearly as good as when I wash my car by hand! The jet streams were powerful and got rid of all of the dirt and salt. I would still make the drive over there even though I'm farther, but my car is dropped now and I'm afraid I won't clear the guiderail.

-Matt
Old 08-30-2003, 01:11 AM
Cruisin'

i have swirl marks on my car. How do i get rid of them? any good products anybody recommend?
Old 08-30-2003, 02:27 PM
THE SILVER BULLET

doin ur carwash ur self is the best thing trust me
Old 08-30-2003, 03:07 PM
Still sluggin' it out

TL Life...

Yeah, I run the one in Frazer. I used to run the one in Blue Bell and the one in Devon (brushes) but the ones in FZ and BB are our only touchless ones, as you know.

My TL is dropped with Eibach Sportlines and it fits perfectly at my location (Frazer) but not in Blue Bell (slight incline going into the tunnel) and fits also at our Devon and W.Conshohocken locations. Let me know if you want to check us out...
Old 08-30-2003, 04:15 PM
booooo

this is what i recomend you do. i have a black tl and it looks amazing after this process!

1. wash ur car with Dawn dish detergent once every 6 months to renew your wax layers.

2. Use Megiuers Gold Class Liquid wax.

after the initial Dawn wash use Meguiers Gold CLass car wash for every car wash within the 6 month period of dawn washes

after megiuer wash use liqiud wax also!

dont go crazy with the wax, and dont let it sit for more than 15 min then it would be harder to buff out!
Old 08-30-2003, 04:34 PM
Still sluggin' it out

The dawn is OK to use but ONLY if u follow it up with a hand wax immediately afterward. I laugh every time I hear someone using dawn or another dish washing soap on their car b/c, like u said, it strips all dirt AND wax off the car. I mean come on, people your using a soap that cuts through stubborn grease and grime on dishes to wash your car???!!!

The process u use is very similiar to what I do to my TL except I do it every 3 months.
Old 08-30-2003, 08:24 PM
1st Gear

What up all. Been reading this board a while to help my dad figger out what to buy. He just got an Anthracite TL-S (pparty sale and picks it up Wed). I haven't really had much to add and cannot ask ?'s cause I havent gotten thru the history of this boards posts. I ahve been detailing (not 4 profit) for about a year now and have some advice for a beautiful looking exterior.

You need to have a wash that both neutralizes the pH in your water and is easy on you wax. Try Eimann Fabrik Power Wash+ or P21s Bodywork Shampoo. Use a chaneile (sp) or 100% cotton heavy napped sponge or mitt.

A clay bar will get every minute contaminant off of your car including the ones that aren't seen but felt. I always use Blackfire Poly Clay kit but I have heard the medium cut Mothers kit (auto stores) will work ahite. This produces a diff you wont believe.

If you go to your local Harley davidson dealer and pick up some S100 Shine Enhancing Cleanser and S100 Paste Wax for a total of like $30 for the two you'll be extremely pleased with your outcome.

Notes:
Dry with Microfiber towels only. I use pakshak.com from Hawaii cause thier product are quality and a great price.
Anytime you apply or touch your paint with anything move in the directiuon the wind flows off your car. this prevents swirl marks.
Everything I said above this notes section is only scratching the surface :P so if you care or have questions hit me up. A great website to $$$pend is
Classic Motoring Accessories and if you need another forum addiction stop by autopia.org once in a while. Wealth of info.
Anyone want to buy a Volvo?

-Stu.