Can't get tires balance right on my car. what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2002, 07:39 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Can't get tires balance right on my car. what to do???

I have got a problem with the balancing on the tires. I have taken in my car to discount tire two times already and havent had to much success with it. What I am getting is a slight shimmy like when I am driving around 55 mph and up in the car. It is mostly noticable when you are changing from one lane to another. Now I have taken it in to discount tire 2 times already since monday and it still is doing it. I know that they have this road force variance on the tire and I'm sure that they would love to try and make me pay for that too. However, I just paid for balancing and I dont know if its that they are incompetint or what.

Has anyone else had this issue with their rims since they are 17's or what? What do you guys recommend??
Old 11-12-2002, 08:16 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try swapping the fronts with the rears, it may be the tire. It may also be either the balancing machine or the mechanic. If the tire swap does not work take it to another place to re-balance.
Old 11-12-2002, 09:24 PM
Instructor

I had the same problem with my TLS (2003). how many miles do you have on it?
The dealer had to do it twice too...going on thrice.
Old 11-13-2002, 12:54 AM
Pro

What tires are you talking about??? Have you bought new tires... or why are you going to Discount tire for service? I have the stock tires and rims on my 02TLS, 10,000 miles. Rotated them once (myself) at 7,500. The car drives perfectly straight down the road with the wheel perfectly centered. COMPLETELY SMOOTH... no shimy whatsoever from 0-120. That's as high as I've had the balls to drive it on the open highway to Vegas.

It should be "Hands off" steering and as smooth on the pavement as the acceleration is. If you're talking about the stock tires... sounds like you have a bad tire. Could be a radial pull or something coming apart internally at speed.

Again, How many miles and what tires/rims are you talking about? Have you talked to the dealer about it? If it's an 03, I doubt that it has enough miles on it to be giving you that kind of ride. DEMAND SOME SATISFACTION... Acura TLC!

Good Luck!
Old 11-13-2002, 01:49 AM
Racer

At 40 000 KM, I had the same problem with stock tires. Dealer couln't find what is going wrong until they jack up the car and make the front wheels freespin. Surprise, the tires were too old that they just aren't round. And we could see it while the wheels spinned. Solution, replaced with new tires.

Now, if you do the same same test as me and see that the tires aren't round, and if they are new, get them replaced by the tires warranties.
Old 11-13-2002, 07:05 AM
Racer

When in doubt, try your local local Honda or Acura Dealer for balancing (okay...now I'm going to get flamed).
Most of them sub-contract out anyway.
I had my tires balanced twice at a discount place too.
They never got it right. Found out later the counter-weights on their tire balancing machine was off.
Old 11-13-2002, 09:47 AM
Advanced

i had a balancing problem with my A4. turned out the wheel itself was out of round.

definitely try rotating the tires back and forth and see if you can "follow" the problem. you might be able to determine which wheel / tire is doiing it.

one more thing, maybe it's not a tire wheel issue? maybe what you're feeling is another mechanical problem? at first i had thought my A4 was having engine hesitation problems. it was just a slight fluttering that felt like the eingine was misfiring or something. the steering didn't doing anything jacked up even when the bad wheel was on the front. long story short, finally figured out i needed a new wheel. problem solved. maybe your situation is this in reverse?