Can someone help me?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2002, 03:18 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Can someone help me?

I need to know where the three wires from the rear view mirror connect to....I'm starting a project and I have no idea where these wires go, I'm assuming one's a ground and the other a power but what's the third for? Thanx guys...
Old 07-06-2002, 04:59 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3rd is to detect when your car is in reverse. Should have +12v when gear selection is in "R".
Old 07-06-2002, 02:24 PM
Three Wheelin'

i thought the rear view mirror was the one on the windshield inside the car and the other two side mirrors driver/passenger side ??
Old 07-08-2002, 11:13 PM
Advanced

Yes I am talking about the mirror on the windshield. I want to put one in my Legend but I need to know what these wires tap into! Thanx again guys!
Old 07-08-2002, 11:38 PM
Three Wheelin'

the third wire would go to dash illumination circuit so the night dimming feature would be enabled. Otherwise the mirror would stay dark during the daylight.
Old 07-09-2002, 01:34 AM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL
the third wire would go to dash illumination circuit so the night dimming feature would be enabled. Otherwise the mirror would stay dark during the daylight.
Ummm...are you sure??? You might wanna check again.
Old 07-09-2002, 03:51 AM
Advanced

one wire is the power wire, the second wire is the ground, and im guessing the third is a remote (not like a hand held remote or anything) its what turns the mirror on and off when you start and stop your car otherwise the mirror would stay on all the time even when your car is off (you could still turn it off manually but that would be ghetto)
Old 07-11-2002, 10:53 PM
Advanced

Wouldn't the power wire just be plugged into a wire that is "hot" when the ignition is in accessory? This would then turn it on and off...does anyone have detailed info as far as wire color, and plug in source? I know that two wires are gray and one black...I'd assume the black to be ground...that leaves two gray...one power and the other? Thanx for the help guys!!
Old 07-12-2002, 12:09 AM
Three Wheelin'

Just wondering, why'd you want to do this in the first place? Unless you have a junk TL somewhere and tries to move the mirror over to your legend? But you might be better off buying an aftermarket dimming mirror. I saw one that are being sold at a Mazda dealer. It has dimming plus a compass too.

Tatewaki
Old 07-12-2002, 12:44 AM
Three Wheelin'

I checked the Helm for this:

Black is Ground

White goes to fused side of Fuse Circuit 9 (drivers under dash fuse panel)

Grey goes to Reverse Relay output (also drivers side fuse panel, its the wire with the Green w/Black tracer)

The mirror has its own photorelay to tell it to work only at night (and in a parking garage or tunnel etc.). So strike my earlier thought (and post) about going to illumination circuit with the 3rd wire. In reality that would have kept the mirror from dimming when ever the lights are on. The reason the wire goes to reverse relay is to turn off the dimming feature at night, when you put the car into reverse.
Old 07-13-2002, 01:02 AM
Advanced

Thanx a lot 2002!!!

Tatewaki...I can buy a mirror off of a junked TL for 30 bucks shipped!! I have yet to find an aftermarket one for that kind of money, cheapest I've seen was a little less than 200! Plus it would be something that would seperate me from all other Legends!!
Old 07-13-2002, 05:19 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL
According to the service manual, if you're looking at the connector from the mirror (notch on top) pins numbered from left to right.

Pin1 - goes to +12v when ignition switch is ON.
Pin3 - ground
Pin2 - goes to +12v when ignition switch is ON and the gear selector is in Reverse.

The auto dim inside mirror has a front-facing LUX level sensor and rear-facing LUX level sensor. Based on the differences between the two LUX levels (the light outside the vehicle and the light from the headlights of the other vehicles, etc.) the built-in control unit controls the electro-chromic gel to reduce the glare. Dimming feature is disabled when the transmission is in reverse.

The mirror DOES NOT connect to the dash illumination circuit.