Calling out Trans Rebuilders!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 02:42 PM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
Calling out Trans Rebuilders!!

Anyone tried the new Raybestos GPXX Clutch Friction Plates for Honda?
They seem to be made specifically for the issues with our trans with "Improved Cooling Efficiency" "Longer Lasting Material and Heat Resistant".

I am Going to Rebuild my AV6 Trans myself and I want to use top of the line stuff for it.. A friend of mine recommended the Transtec rebuild kit which is what most rebuilders use, I am planning on using that but instead of the Friction and Steel plates included I'm going for the Raybestos GPXX Kit..

Also what about the Trans Lab Valve Kit? Anyone used it before? I am also installing that

All in all I'm seeing less than 800 bucks for the AV6 Rebuild myself with premium stuff which is quite cheap all things considered.
Any response's will help...
Old 09-18-2015, 08:37 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
I used the Transtec Deluxe kit with clutches and steels from Rockauto. Rockauto also supplied the rebuilt torque converter.

The deluxe Transtec kit was just OK. About 1/2 the o-rings were bagged and labeled - the rest I had to match up while I was rebuilding. It would have been better if they were not just rolling around in the box. I was never sure if I had the right one or if one would be missing further down the line. Perhaps it didn't matter.

They did not supply one of the gaskets. It is the A/T clutch pressure control Solenoid valve C gasket. All the others were in the box but this was not. Rockauto contacted Transtec and they said they don't supply it. Plan on visiting the dealer for that. (why is it not in the kit??)

Everything else was in the box - even a few extras of o-rings that didn't fit anything plus one extra set of clutch plates and steels for a different transmission.(?)

I had never done an auto trans before so i bought the ATRA manual of Honda 5-speed rebuild procedures. With this book a cave man could rebuild this transmission.

I used that new GUNK environmentally safe cleaning solution and about 5 spray cans of brake cleaner. I kept the work area spotless by doing the build on a garage floor tin pan on my workbench. It kept the small parts and fluids all together in one spot.

I must have used 50 zip lock bags of various sizes for the tear down and sub-assembly rebuilds. There are a lot of parts in this transmission. A Sharpie marker marked the bags and notes were written in the ATRA manual.

You have to be a little creative with pullers for one of the shafts. Later, I modified a puller to work with a small press to take apart and put together the clutch packs. I bought no special tools for the rebuild but you do have to be creative. The ATRA manual is good that way as it suggests alternate ways to do a task rather than always relying on the dealer supplied special Honda tool.

Good luck. Enjoy the process.
Old 09-19-2015, 08:57 AM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
All of the kits I have bought regardless if they were from Rockauto or Amazon or Wellington Parts Corp have came with the Raybestos clutches and discs. I have noticed no improvement over the OEM clutches that were in the trans from the beginning.

The reason the kit comes with an extra clutch and disc is because the Type S trans has an extra one in its 4th or 5th gear clutch drum. Dont remember which one though.
Old 09-19-2015, 04:16 PM
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by musiclevelz5
All of the kits I have bought regardless if they were from Rockauto or Amazon or Wellington Parts Corp have came with the Raybestos clutches and discs. I have noticed no improvement over the OEM clutches that were in the trans from the beginning.

The reason the kit comes with an extra clutch and disc is because the Type S trans has an extra one in its 4th or 5th gear clutch drum. Dont remember which one though.
Good to know. This wasn't just one clutch disk and steel, it was an entire extra set of 6 clutches and steels. The pattern didn't match any of the clutch baskets in the transmission. I'm sure it's used in one of the many versions of this transmission along with all those extra o-rings. This kit had Raybestos clutches and steels. We'll see how long they last. OEM was 192K with no maintenance.