caliper paint

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2002, 05:34 PM
Rock Star

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool caliper paint

hi everyome i want to paint my calipers red but is it possible to buy paint and clear coat to get the high gloss look like in the vettes and porsche's......my friend painted his mustangs in red but could never get the high gloss look....thanks :wow:
Old 12-19-2002, 05:48 PM
Racer

here

folia tec
Old 12-20-2002, 08:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Hey,

I've got Folia tec yellow paint on my calipers and they are nice and shiny. Too bad the stock calipers don't have a smooth surface (looks like die-cast metal) but the Folia tec paint comes out nicely! Want photos? Check it out in the TL-S calipers directory:

http://photos.yahoo.com/soonger

Hope that helps.
- derrick
'02 EBP TL Type-S
mods: OEM kit & spoiler, PIAA fogs, 20% tints, 3A racing tips, painted calipers & y-pipe, INSPIRE sills
future mods: springs, sways, cleared corners, JDM conversion (?)
Old 12-21-2002, 01:21 AM
Rock Star

thanks is one can enough to buy or should i buy 2.......and is it hard to do im not that mechanically inclined...but ill try it if its not to hard thanks....
Old 12-21-2002, 02:03 AM
Racer

I didn't use foliatec, i just went to the local hardware store to grab a can of engine enimel. I only bought one can and it was enough to put three layers on each brake, and i still had left over, but i suggest u be on the safe side and buy two cans just in case
i got blue and the paint aren't that shiny but they're quite good, got them for over three months, and its not peeling or anything, after a good wash, they look good as new
Old 12-21-2002, 09:19 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
Folia tec has plenty ...

As for Folia tec -- it has PLENTY of paint for you to do 2 coats for 4 calipers. In fact, I also did my girlfriend's black '00 Accord coupe and I think it turned out better than mine! Just be sure to buy a thin paint brush. Makes getting into the small nooks & crannies really easy. Also need masking tape, newspaper, a small plastic cup (to mix the paint).

Anybody can do this mod -- use your wheeljack that comes with the car to remove the rim. If you wanna be more efficient -- buy or borrow a pair of jack stands and rest your car on them. That way you can paint a pair of calipers at one go. You'll need 1.5-2.0 hours for the paint to dry (after the 2nd coat) before you can put your rims back on. Since you're in NYC -- you wanna do this in a warm garage... I did mine in the summer and the paint dried in less than 2 hrs but that's to be sure it's totally dried through.

Other people have tried high temp engine paint and it seems to work (or so I've seen). And it's a lot cheaper than Folia tec. You may want to consider it. (One setback -- you have to worry about overspray -- it may get onto your car! Lots of newspaper to be on the safe side ...)

- derrick
'02 EBP TL Type-S
mods: OEM kit & spoiler, PIAA fogs, 20% tints, 3A racing tips, painted calipers & y-pipe, INSPIRE sills
future mods: springs, sways, cleared corners, JDM conversion (?)
Old 12-21-2002, 10:00 AM
Racer

whatever you decide to use for paint...CLEAN YOUR BRAKES FIRST It won't be as great a finished product if you arepainting over dirt and grime.
Old 12-21-2002, 12:07 PM
Rock Star

kool thanks guys a body shop said they would do it for like 75 bucks cuase i know the guy and thell take the calipers off and paint em as long as i provide the paint and ill have 2 leave ir for a day which i dont care so for 75 who cares it will save me the trouble and it prob will come out better i may just buy the paint from a autoparts store cause u really cant see the shinyness unless u get up on it and i guess the more enamel u put on the shiner let me know what u think peace
Old 12-23-2002, 03:22 PM
Safety Car

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
dont' 'paint your calipers.. IMHO .. it looks cheesy ...

Anyone who knows anything about cars and sees them up close will get a good hearty laugh. Don't give him or her that opportunity. Get some real Brembos or real colored calipers and enjoy their functionality as well as looks!

Just my opinion folks... let the flaming begin!!
Old 12-23-2002, 03:47 PM
Racer

[QUOTE]dont' 'paint your calipers.. IMHO .. it looks cheesy ...

Anyone who knows anything about cars and sees them up close will get a good hearty laugh. Don't give him or her that opportunity. Get some real Brembos or real colored calipers and enjoy their functionality as well as looks!

Just my opinion folks... let the flaming begin!!

does it look cheesy? Some colors do more than others. Subjective of course. The worst thing about it is it brings attention to the TLS's little brakes.
Old 12-23-2002, 04:00 PM
Racer

I'm not flaming but I don't like the look of painted calipers. I installed red ones on my last car and they seemed to draw attention away from the polished rims. I don't like the look of the ones on the Porsches either. Again this is only MY opinion.

It's your car. If you like the look then do it. Who gives a sh!t what I or anyone else has to say about the look of your car? A perfect example would be aftermarket rims. You might install a set that you think look incredible whereas I or someone else may not agree.

IT'S YOUR CAR!! If you like the look, go for it! I would definitely suggest taking them off the car to paint. As was stated previously CLEAN them well prior to painting. It sounds like you have done one better and found someone to do it for you for $75. Perfect. They are pros and will make sure not to get overspray, drips, etc. Their reputation is at stake.

Sorry for the long driveling post. I just think that when it comes to the aesthetics of a car the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is the best advice.

Cheers.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:52 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by bozzchem
I'm not flaming but I don't like the look of painted calipers. I installed red ones on my last car and they seemed to draw attention away from the polished rims. I don't like the look of the ones on the Porsches either. Again this is only MY opinion.

It's your car. If you like the look then do it. Who gives a sh!t what I or anyone else has to say about the look of your car? A perfect example would be aftermarket rims. You might install a set that you think look incredible whereas I or someone else may not agree.

IT'S YOUR CAR!! If you like the look, go for it! I would definitely suggest taking them off the car to paint. As was stated previously CLEAN them well prior to painting. It sounds like you have done one better and found someone to do it for you for $75. Perfect. They are pros and will make sure not to get overspray, drips, etc. Their reputation is at stake.

Sorry for the long driveling post. I just think that when it comes to the aesthetics of a car the old saying "beauty is in the eye of the beholder" is the best advice.

Cheers.
While I cannot disagree w/ you on any one of your points, I do have to say that sometimes, we aren't aware of the reaction others may have to our mods .. not to sound condescending, but i'm sure some people would like to appreciate what would look "cool" (so to speak) before they go out and do it ..
Old 12-23-2002, 06:28 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
I dont think it looks cheesy at all, way better than the anodized coating which weathered pretty badly IMHO. Of course I didnt go with red, yellow, blue, or other loud colors. High Temp Aluminum colored Engine paint is what I used.

Have no fear about real brakes coming in though.

Porterfield R4S pads are on order, brake lines have been swapped for Goodrich lines already for better feel, and these guys are just waitin on the pads
Old 12-23-2002, 07:58 PM
Racer

response?

While I cannot disagree w/ you on any one of your points, I do have to say that sometimes, we aren't aware of the reaction others may have to our mods .. not to sound condescending, but i'm sure some people would like to appreciate what would look "cool" (so to speak) before they go out and do it
I think you're missing the point. Why should we be aware of the perceptions of others? If we like what we do with our cars...that should be all that matters. If your goal is to please others with your car, then by all means do so. If your goal is to make yourself happy with your mods, then again, by all means do so.

Customizing a car is all about personality. You can do it for you or you can do it for them. It's your choice.

Personally, I do it for me. If you like my mods, great. If you don't, whatever. You may think my mods look like sh!t. If so, that is your perception. However, it should always be up to the owner of the car to do as they feel works for them. If they want polka dot wheels with neon orange calipers....that's their gig.

If your goal is to customize your car to please the "masses" then by all means do so.

I just hate to see someone not try something because someone said not to.

Again, It's YOUR car.

Cheers.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:00 PM
Racer

response?

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
While I cannot disagree w/ you on any one of your points, I do have to say that sometimes, we aren't aware of the reaction others may have to our mods .. not to sound condescending, but i'm sure some people would like to appreciate what would look "cool" (so to speak) before they go out and do it
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I think you're missing the point. Why should we be aware of the perceptions of others? If we like what we do with our cars...that should be all that matters. If your goal is to please others with your car, then by all means do so. If your goal is to make yourself happy with your mods, then again, by all means do so.

Customizing a car is all about personality. You can do it for you or you can do it for them. It's your choice.

Personally, I do it for me. If you like my mods, great. If you don't, whatever. You may think my mods look like sh!t. If so, that is your perception. However, it should always be up to the owner of the car to do as they feel works for them. If they want polka dot wheels with neon orange calipers....that's their gig.

If your goal is to customize your car to please the "masses" then by all means do so.

Again, It's YOUR car.

Cheers.

Whoops, accidental double post...sorry.
Old 12-23-2002, 08:02 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Mr Hyde what brand rotors are those? (if you dont mind me asking)
Old 12-23-2002, 08:04 PM
Racer

Mr. Hyde
Those Porterfields are supposed to be great...I'm interested to hear your opinions of them.
Old 12-23-2002, 09:04 PM
Three Wheelin'

Re: caliper paint

Originally posted by nym31mp
hi everyome i want to paint my calipers red but is it possible to buy paint and clear coat to get the high gloss look like in the vettes and porsche's......my friend painted his mustangs in red but could never get the high gloss look....thanks :wow:
yeah sure, of course you can. i painted the calipers on my gs400 with engine enamel 500 degrees paint from kragen. 3 bucks each for black gloss and also clear coat. cheap and easy

http://www.clublexus.com/forums/show...threadid=68375

you can see it there
Old 12-23-2002, 10:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
you can use just about any paint in a can. the calipers never really get hot enough to damage the paint. paint can handle 2-300 deg with out a problem and calipers dont get that hot. the rotors are what sustains the most heat. i have had sucess with regular paint even on the car i run auto cross with. not to mention there is more of a selection of colors
Old 12-23-2002, 10:57 PM
Rock Star

sup guys i went ahead a got the folic paint i got it in red on ebay for 35......i like the painted look keep in mind guys the ones that r like the vetts r damn expensive and paintin them looks decent if done w the right paint and right way
Old 12-24-2002, 09:59 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally posted by fsttyms1
Mr Hyde what brand rotors are those? (if you dont mind me asking)
Got em from www.raceconcepts.net

As far as the porterfields go, I'll post a thread once they are in, and properly broken in. Merry X-mas guys
Old 12-25-2002, 02:14 PM
Safety Car

Originally posted by bozzchem

Great, grand, wonderful, still think it looks like cheese . Hyde, you're aren't as bad, as you said, b/c you didn't go w/ the loud red/yellow/blue.. THen again, I don't know that I'd even notice the paint had you not brought attn to the fact that you painted them. I would have mistook them for the stock, galvanized color.

Painting the calipers is sort of a one way mod .. because I don't imagine sanding that paint off to stock color specs will be a joy to do if it isnt' what the guy wanted. While very inspired by your eloquence, I still think some people like to test ideas on the board for everyone's opinion. Mine is as stated, and he can take it for face value .. if it doesn't change his mind, whatever. If it makes him think twice about painting the calipers, then he wasn't 100% about it in the first place, and in that case, i'm glad he re-considered.

Cheers