View Poll Results: How happy are you that you bought a CAI?
Extremely Happy-Big performance increase.
30.43%
Happy-Some increase
39.13%
Not Happy-No increase and sounds too loud
13.04%
Hate the damn thing!!!
17.39%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

To CAI or not to CAI Poll

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2001, 09:07 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question To CAI or not to CAI Poll

I am so on the fence about getting a CAI that I want to take a poll and see what you guys think of your CAI's.
Old 09-07-2001, 10:48 PM
The "old" guy

Comptech is working on something they call the "ice box" intake. Think I'll just keep my K&N filtercharger until then.....:p
Old 09-07-2001, 11:14 PM
f-a-b-o-l-o-u-s

why not CAI? I just ordered mine. I can't wait to get it in.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:09 PM
Instructor

What kind did you order? AEM seems like the fan favorite.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:41 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I purposely didnt get AEM because it was a fan favorite, instead I wanted to go slightly diferent and bought the underdog Injen. I personally liked the end polish of the injens ones better than AEMs to begin with.
Old 09-08-2001, 08:59 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool

Originally posted by edgalang
I purposely didnt get AEM because it was a fan favorite, instead I wanted to go slightly diferent and bought the underdog Injen. I personally liked the end polish of the injens ones better than AEMs to begin with.
Earnest,

Hey bro, thanks for letting me try out the new intake!! it kicks some ash!! Definately an improvement over stock.. and the sound isn't as loud as I thought it would be..

I think once I get a bit of money saved up, I'm going for the blue Injen.. gives the car the little bit of kick that it needs..

I might be able to get the AEM for cheaper as well from one of the guys at the meet today.. so we'll see how much cheaper it is..

Maybe when I'm ready, you can help me install it.
Old 09-08-2001, 09:10 PM
Bada Bing

Originally posted by Indyjenks
Comptech is working on something they call the "ice box" intake. Think I'll just keep my K&N filtercharger until then.....:p
I spoke to the people at Comptech b/c I was interested in the Icebox for my TLS...they said taht there is nothing in the works for the TL, it's strictly for the Integra & Civic for now. He couldn't tell me how long until they would begin on the TL version.
Old 09-10-2001, 02:20 PM
Instructor

9 votes. Come on, I know more people have these things.
Old 09-10-2001, 03:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

Try just taking off your intake resonator first.
Old 09-10-2001, 03:22 PM
Retired MOD

Who did you talk to at comptech ???? They are wokring on the Ice box for both the accord and TL

What's the possibility of making the Icebox for the TL? Looks like it would be a good fit. Just wondering....thanks.
Jake
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Mike B at Comptech

That is something we are working on in conjunction with the supercharger.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TL Daddy

Great....thanks!
SLVR TL

Will it be available by itself w/o the SC?
There might be those that can not afford the SC but still are interested in the intake box.
Mike B at Comptech

Yes, we be selling the Ice Box separately, but need to get the supercharger development to a certain point before the Ice Box design can be finalized.

Originally posted by SlyTLS

I spoke to the people at Comptech b/c I was interested in the Icebox for my TLS...they said taht there is nothing in the works for the TL, it's strictly for the Integra & Civic for now. He couldn't tell me how long until they would begin on the TL version.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:45 PM

Originally posted by Edub-TL

I might be able to get the AEM for cheaper as well from one of the guys at the meet today.. so we'll see how much cheaper it is..

Maybe when I'm ready, you can help me install it.
Sure thing, although I'd probably be doing you the greatest favor if I just sit there and supervise while you take her apart. I'm just kinda depressed right now since I spent over 4 hours cleaning the car last night to have it all be wasted and get into a 4 car accident driving to work this morning. Crappy part is, my insurance deductible is 500, and I was already hesitant to buy the sways since the cost of the parts + installtion would be close to 500 and that was a bit too much money to spend at the moment. Now I am FORCED to spend 500 to fix the front, and I'll get nothing in return but higher insurance rates. AAARGG! (Good thing you were able to test drive it while ya can, although to be honest I though you would drive much more agreesively.....or at least to 110)

In addition, my Ex-girlfriend was making fun of me that night on how much time I spend taking care of the car.

She even said..."wouldn't it be a shame if you got into a car crash right after cleaning it?"

I replied back..."Well that person better have damn good insurance." The irony is, that I was the last person involved. ABS didnt do damn diddly in my scenario.
Old 09-10-2001, 05:50 PM
Retired MOD

Talking

The same thing happen to me I had paid some one to detail and wash my car....a couple of hours later I got into an accident . Well sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out fine.

Sure thing, although I'd probably be doing you the greatest favor if I just sit there and supervise while you take her apart. I'm just kinda depressed right now since I spent over 4 hours cleaning the car last night to have it all be wasted and get into a 4 car accident driving to work this morning. Crappy part is, my insurance deductible is 500, and I was already hesitant to buy the sways since the cost of the parts + installtion would be close to 500 and that was a bit too much money to spend at the moment. Now I am FORCED to spend 500 to fix the front, and I'll get nothing in return but higher insurance rates. AAARGG! (Good thing you were able to test drive it while ya can, although to be honest I though you would drive much more agreesively.....or at least to 110)
Old 09-10-2001, 06:00 PM
Retired MOD

Most people will be happy with their intake after paying $200+ dollars. Plus you have to try other produts/brands to know how good yours is

Check this out, but it might be different with you type S, since they have a larger TB. I also don't know the diference between the K&N drop-in filter and comptech High Flow filter, but I'll guess is very similar, my results were with the Comptech High flow filter.
Old 09-10-2001, 06:10 PM
Sticky Rice OwnZ joO

Unhappy

In addition, my Ex-girlfriend was making fun of me that night on how much time I spend taking care of the car.

She even said..."wouldn't it be a shame if you got into a car crash right after cleaning it?"

I replied back..."Well that person better have damn good insurance." The irony is, that I was the last person involved. ABS didnt do damn diddly in my scenario.

DAMN!! NOOOOOO!!! Sorry to hear that.. Good thing you're not hurt or anyting.. Hope it wasn't major damange, and just the bumper.. Sh!t sucks.. our ABS really isn't the greatest.. the stopping power should definately be improved..

How long are you going to have to be w/o your car for?

Good thing that you were the last one, and was a little prepared for the impact.. whereas when I got hit from behind, it was a surprise.. The guy in front of me stopped, and I barely stopped behind him.. then some fool comes up from behind me and was driving FAST and hit me.. that's why I hate driving in traffic.. people stop suddently all the time in front of you..

I would have driven faster... but I think I sufficentlly tested out the CAI.. I wanted to test it with how I would normally drive..
Not only that, I really am conservative when I'm using other people's stuff..

Good luck with the repairs.. let me know if I can help you with anything..
Old 09-10-2001, 06:11 PM
Three Wheelin'

edgalang--man, sorry to hear about your accident; hopefully your insurance company will take care of you better than my insurance company is doing. to summarize what's going on in my case, my tahoe got into an accident, it did get fixed after a month but still needs repairs for aftermarket install (stereo and alarm)--still waiting for adjuster to provide estimate. my claim is on its third adjuster, they still haven't gotten in touch with the other guy (it was his fault but of course he doesn't see it that way), insurance made me pay the deductible--i had to complain to the manager that it was BS to do so and he eventually refunded my deductible.
The third claim adjuster says it's probably my fault based on what I said. WTF? The guy turned left in front of me at the last minute--how was I supposed to avoid hitting him? Stupid adjuster says since I hit him it's my fault. Someone explain that to me again? Who's side is she on, the other guy's? The guy ignored the right of way (left turn yields to oncoming or right turn traffic--there is a CVC for this, I can't remember the exact code off the top of my head), plain and simple.

Anyways, my claim is in insurance purgatory; I'll be lucky if it gets resolved before the end of the year (incident happened in June). Again, hope things get done right for you; I wouldn't want anyone to go through insurance hell like what I'm going through right now...

Tony
Old 09-11-2001, 01:41 PM

Originally posted by tdoh
Again, hope things get done right for you; I wouldn't want anyone to go through insurance hell like what I'm going through right now...

Tony
I hope so too. I thought I was on top of it when I made my appointment to see my claims adjuster this morning. Problem is, he cancelled the last minute because apperantly my insurance's home base is located in New York and everything is shut down. Now I have to make a new appointment again, but the slots are filled to who knows when, and I'm unable to get a hold of anybody. Hmmm....come to think about it, I shouldnt really be *****ing about anything since there are bigger issues to worry about, but damn...it pisses me off everytime i walk in front of my car.
Old 09-12-2001, 04:50 PM
Instructor

Bitium: If i take off the resonator is it hard to get back on? Just in case. Thanks, btw, loved your post on CAI's. It was super informative .
Old 09-13-2001, 04:20 AM
Advanced

Question What/Where is the resonator?

Where and What is the resonator in conjunction with the stock air intake? Did you notice an improvement in power when removing it? What is its purpose? Where exactly is it located and can you give me any tips on removing it? I Love My Car!!!!!!!!
Old 09-13-2001, 09:22 PM
Instructor

Ted: Ya go to acura-cl.com and go to the FAQ. In there there is a CAI installation section, and just go to the part where they show how to remove the resontor box. It is under the airbox. You go in from underneth the car. I think it is like 10 or so minutes to remove. I just want to make sure I can get it back on before i try and take it off.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:24 PM

Originally posted by VipeR-ACR
You go in from underneth the car. I think it is like 10 or so minutes to remove.
If you could, then you must be doing some super yoga or something. I had to remove the entire front bumper cover + grill to even get around there. But....lets say a girl helped you out and was able to squeeze her arm in from underneath and unscrew the box out with a wrench....you still have a dillema of needing room to take out the box. In other words.............its nowhere near 10 minutes, unless you have help and both of you have done it before.
Old 09-14-2001, 06:48 PM
Advanced

Angry CAI not worth it......

If I have to remove significant parts off of my new TL-S to put on a CAI and "maybe" get 2-4hp out of it,,it is just not worth it to me at all. I will save my money and get the sway bars first. Then see what performance parts get developed for the car over the fall/winter.
Old 09-14-2001, 07:30 PM

Re: CAI not worth it......

Originally posted by TedV
If I have to remove significant parts off of my new TL-S to put on a CAI and "maybe" get 2-4hp out of it,,it is just not worth it to me at all. I will save my money and get the sway bars first. Then see what performance parts get developed for the car over the fall/winter.
? A sway install is a larger project than a CAI install. Seems to me that if you arent really going to do the job yourself, then it doesnt really matter which one you do first. Reason why I chose to CAI the TLS was because it was accually a job I could handle. Now as for the sways, thats not even in the picture unless you could lift up the nose of the car or drive it over a ditch or something so you could work underneath it (talk about suppa ghetto!). I'm not a well off as most folks here, so my main concern is MONEY.