Cadillac CTS

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2002, 02:53 PM
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cadillac CTS

Talking about taking things to the extreme, the Cadillac CTSi will be powered by an LS6! Things are heating up in the sport sedan category, hopefully our TL-S' wojn;t be left behind...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=173&n=156
Old 04-19-2002, 03:11 PM
Team Owner

Received 2,183 Likes on 1,196 Posts
“the goal is to beat the (BMW) M5 in every turn,”

They are dreaming.
Old 04-19-2002, 04:19 PM
Instructor

that car is fuggly:yack:
Old 04-19-2002, 04:49 PM
Instructor

The LS6 engine WILL CRUSH the M5! Look at the power it has and torque curve. If the suspension is done properly then it will be a serious competitor. Straight line acceleration would go to the Caddy at any speed! Interior and fit and finish (not to mention akward styling) may however kill the CTSi's plans...

I'll take the LS6 power plant over anything BMW makes for shear power. Look at what Lingenfelter has done with it in the Corvette. He is only making the baddest car on the planet for $70 - $80K and the baddest car most likely bar none!!!

Some people are really, really far up BMW's ass and for what reason I do not know!
Old 04-19-2002, 05:03 PM

If I want a Corvette engine, I'll buy a Corvette.
Old 04-19-2002, 05:07 PM
16GS FSprt,03Max,12 335is

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally posted by 1SICKLEX
If I want a Corvette engine, I'll buy a Corvette.
I agree or even a T/A but that CTS is hideous and isnt selling well here in DFW.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:36 PM
Advanced

Re: Cadillac CTS

Originally posted by LegendCpeGS
Talking about taking things to the extreme, the Cadillac CTSi will be powered by an LS6! Things are heating up in the sport sedan category, hopefully our TL-S' wojn;t be left behind...

http://www.thecarconnection.com/inde...&sid=173&n=156
Nice article, I hope everything goes as planned or Cadillac, they need a car like the CTSi. Finally, an American sport sedan that is truly an American sports sedan.

Oh, and you guys and your TLS's will be left behind, FAR behind.
Sorry to break it to you.
Old 04-19-2002, 06:52 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by MB-telecom
The LS6 engine WILL CRUSH the M5! Look at the power it has and torque curve. If the suspension is done properly then it will be a serious competitor. Straight line acceleration would go to the Caddy at any speed! Interior and fit and finish (not to mention akward styling) may however kill the CTSi's plans...

I'll take the LS6 power plant over anything BMW makes for shear power. Look at what Lingenfelter has done with it in the Corvette. He is only making the baddest car on the planet for $70 - $80K and the baddest car most likely bar none!!!

Some people are really, really far up BMW's ass and for what reason I do not know!
I doubt the LS6 powered CTS would crush the M5. Probably only a few tenths of a sec quicker in the vital acceleration tests. In a recent C&D test, the Holden Commodore SS (with 350-plus hp LT-1) took on the BMW M5 in a comparison. The Bimmer did everything performance-wise slightly better against this Aussie muscle sedan, but the fit and finsih of the Bimmer proved to be way too much for the Aussie competitior to overcome. Otherwise, everyone was surprised at how well this GM-powered car did against the almighty M5.

If this CTSi is built, I will be extremely happy to hear it, because Cadillac, and America in general, needs a car to truly compete (and maybe even defeat) with the Bimmer. Oh, and if you "don't know why people have their head stuck far up BMW's ass", then you should just go drive one, and drive it hard, then you will understand.
Old 04-19-2002, 07:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 30 Likes on 17 Posts
CTS growing on me ...

Everyone,

Since I live in the greater Detroit area (according to Randy/McNally), there are quite a few around town. The pictures don't give the car real justice. I didn't like it too much at first (at the Detroit autoshow) but it's starting to grow on me. When GM throws in the LS6 engine to the CTS ... buh-bye TL-S! Add all the NOS, headers, exhaust, tire mods you want, you won't even come close. The M5 will be eating that CTS' dust!

I have to agree with MB-telecom, Caddies aren't know for its long-lasting fit / finish as of late. Plus... depreciation of domestics will evaporate any return on investment on the car (as if any car will keep its value!)

My $0.02.
- derrick
Old 04-19-2002, 10:33 PM
Instructor

Although the CTS styling is unique, IMO it is ugly. I don't know about other part of the country, but I see very few young, or middle-age drivers in a Caddy in my area. I saw the CTS in a recent auto show and its sticker was $36,000. How many people are willing to pay that much for a V6 Caddy CTX instead of an European or Japanese alternative?
Old 04-20-2002, 01:03 PM
Instructor

I agree with what people are saying here about the CTSi. Remember, these are ONLY cars we are talking about. At the end of the day, you are divesting yourself in essense by owning a car and making big payments (like an M5 for example and that of course all depends on how much you make and how you handle your personal finances). Some people are car enthusiasts no doubt; I am. I am not a car FANATIC however. Some people are. Fanatics tend to be a little ridiculous about their hobby. I know there are differences between the BMW M5 and the Holden for example and the M5 is a better driving expereince than virtually any car that is built in the world anywhere near that price range. I can't justify the price for an M5 for what you get over a TL-S (it's over twice the price). A FANATIC however could justify it and would probably even rationalize it too. My analogy 'I feel' is where one draws the line between being an auto enthusiast and an auto FANATIC. It is the same with sports, dogs owners hunters, etc...
Old 04-20-2002, 08:47 PM
Instructor

>>I can't justify the price for an M5 for what you get over a TL-S (it's over twice the price). A FANATIC however could justify it and would probably even rationalize it too.

A fanatic who could afford it wouldn't have to justify it or rationalize it. He'd just buy it.
Old 04-20-2002, 09:15 PM
Banned

IMO.....that CTS is sweeeeeeeeeet, but I havent read up on any of the reviews yet. Saw a silver one on the road a couple of days ago and it's defin. a head-turner.