A/C Questions

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2004, 03:15 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A/C Questions

Just wondering,

When you turn on the Heating/AC system on does it always default to A/C on?

Everytime I turn on the system in my car the A/C comes on. I cant seem to find a way to turn the heat on without the AC kicking in first. I ALWAYS need to shut off the AC. I've got a 99, it is like this on all?

Might be part of the reason my AC doesnt work anymore? The ON-Off crap cant be good for the system.

I'm not looking forward to price tag on the repair job in the spring!

Thanks
Old 01-30-2004, 03:17 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
If you have purchased the 7 yr./100k warranty, a dealer should be able to fix it for you.

.. so everytime you press the "Auto" button, the A/C option is on correct? hhmm, that isn't normal...have it checked out asap.
Old 01-30-2004, 03:41 PM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
That doesn't sound right. My car doesn't start the A/C unit when I press "Auto".
Old 01-30-2004, 07:50 PM
Burning Brakes

A/C compressor turns on when "Auto" is pressed and will show "Full Auto" , the fan speed selector also needs to be in Auto.(is there a "semi" auto?? or 3-round burst?? hehehe).

The A/C button (below the temp display) will shut off the compressor when pressed and display "A/C OFF". During days when you have more than 60% humidity, you will notice the windows will start to fog up when the A/C compressor is OFF. The defrost (yellow) button will also turn on the A/C Compressor on High to speed up the defogging process.

If your fan speed selector is not on auto, the "Full Auto" function will not work.

I usually turn the defroster on and the thermostat to 32 degrees (Celsius), then I turn off the A/C and lower it to 24 degrees and defroster off once the vehicle warms up.

I was told by a good friend who was a TRD mechanic that Honda and Toyota A/C compressors are made by Denso Japan. They were apparently designed to work summer or winter, so no worries about not using it in the cold weather. It is actualy recommended that they be turned on during winter as their seals may start cracking if unused.

North American autos' A/C compressors I'm told do not work the same way as they develop funny problems when turned on during the cold season. First hand experience was my dad's former Pontiac 6000 STE, he got used to his Corolla's A/C function that he did the same to the Pontiac. Well, summer time hit and he had to spend $350 to get the A/C fixed as the compressor was fubar.
Old 01-30-2004, 09:37 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by vicman17
A/C compressor turns on when "Auto" is pressed and will show "Full Auto" , the fan speed selector also needs to be in Auto..
Yes, when I press Auto the AC is on. I can hear the compressor come on and I need to hit the button you mentioned to turn it off. This cant be normal??? Are you saying this should not be happening?
Since I purchased this car used I'm more than a little pissed it was ever corrected. This has obviously shortened the life of the compressor. Damn!

I've been having a hard time with the dealer so taking it there is not a option. Sterne Acura in North Toronto BTW, they SUCK large! Honda Canada has been no help either!
Old 01-31-2004, 09:24 AM
Advanced

When you first select "auto" the AC compressor will come on. However, if based on the selected temp it is not required it will turn off automaticly. It will periodically start and stop based on the temp of the inside of the car going up.

Regardless of the temp selected, the AC compressor is ALWAYS on if you select "front" defrost.