bumper repair

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2004, 10:12 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
bumper repair

'02 TL-S SSM

After a rather nasty collision with a snowbank, I found a hole and multiple cracks in my front bumper, and one of my fog lights broken. Since the hit was on the corner of the bumper, it appears that only the bumper cover was damaged, not the central bar and absorbers underneath. Insurance says that they'll pay for repair (minus deduction, of course) but that it might result in an increase in future rates. I'm therefore considering paying to repair it myself. In fact, I'd like to do the installation, since it seems pretty straightforward from looking at the shop manual. Here's the problem - I've only been able to locate unpainted bumper parts, which means that I'd have to have it professionally painted anyway. I tried to go the junkyard route, hoping to find an undamaged silver front bumper, but was told that even if they had one they wouldn't sell me the cover alone because they would want to sell the entire front end.

Any suggestions on sources for a painted front bumper cover? If not, any idea what to expect as far as cost to have one painted? Should I just give up ideas of doing it myself and have the whole thing fixed at the shop?
Old 03-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These would be good questions to ask your local Acura dealer. My Acura dealer obtains the unpainted body parts from the parts department, paints them the appropriate color and installs them. Just inquire about having them paint the front bumper cover for you.
Old 03-06-2004, 11:24 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
I put my car into a ditch after slipping on an ice patch earlier this year.

The passner side of the front bumper was shattered and it had a big hole in it. I also messed up the splash guard.

I got a new bumper for about 230 dollars shipped, and paint was 250 dollars (but you could find better if you shop around, depending on your area). Splash guard was about 35 dollars.

I did the installation myself and it took less than an hour. It's really simple -- just one screw on each side in the wheel well, and self tapping screws on the bottom. Then the bumper will pop out. Good luck.
Old 03-06-2004, 12:18 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: bumper repair

Originally posted by djsteve
'02 TL-S SSM

After a rather nasty collision with a snowbank, I found a hole and multiple cracks in my front bumper, and one of my fog lights broken. Since the hit was on the corner of the bumper, it appears that only the bumper cover was damaged, not the central bar and absorbers underneath. Insurance says that they'll pay for repair (minus deduction, of course) but that it might result in an increase in future rates. I'm therefore considering paying to repair it myself. In fact, I'd like to do the installation, since it seems pretty straightforward from looking at the shop manual. Here's the problem - I've only been able to locate unpainted bumper parts, which means that I'd have to have it professionally painted anyway. I tried to go the junkyard route, hoping to find an undamaged silver front bumper, but was told that even if they had one they wouldn't sell me the cover alone because they would want to sell the entire front end.

Any suggestions on sources for a painted front bumper cover? If not, any idea what to expect as far as cost to have one painted? Should I just give up ideas of doing it myself and have the whole thing fixed at the shop?

I have some similar damages to my rear bumper cover, and this is what Im doing. You dont need to get a whole new bumper cover, my body shop is going to heat, melt and remold the same bumper cover and sand and paint the whole thing for me. Cost is going to be about $250 total for me. He guaranteed me that after he's done I wont be able to tell the difference, cuz thas how good it will look. So inquire about that route first, b4 shelling out the money for a whole new part. Just my suggestion. BTW, I too have a huge gouge in my rear bumper from backing into a tow trucks hitch, and a whole lot of scratches.