brand new tranny showing signs?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2006, 09:05 PM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
brand new tranny showing signs?

I got a new transmission a couple of months ago, now with 2-3k miles on it. There is a occassional downshift to 4th for a moment or so, with steady gas pedal pressure, then goes back to 5th gear. This happens at about 60-70 mph once in abt 100 miles of driving. There is also a new whining noise that happens only during a spirited take off from a complete stop. Not sure what to make of it. Should I have dealership check it or they won't do much until there is a clear problem?
Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
down shifting to 4th is normal if your in 5th if there is a load on it. OR Do you mean steady preasure not accelerating. doesnt sound like a symptom of the clutch packs failing.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:40 AM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
down shifting to 4th is normal if your in 5th if there is a load on it. OR Do you mean steady preasure not accelerating. doesnt sound like a symptom of the clutch packs failing.
that's the problem I just cruise along maintaining the same speed and it suddenly shifts to 4 for a second or so then back t 5. Wierd.
Old 03-02-2006, 10:46 AM
Senior Moderator

On level ground? Are you sure its going to 4th and not the Torque Converter unlocking? (just trying to get the whole pic)
Old 03-02-2006, 03:13 PM
4th Gear

I am having a similar problem. I am new to the tlp, just bought my 99 tlp last month. While driving at about 60-70 under normal conditions on flat ground the transmission seems to shift back and forth (sort of a flutter) when I lift an press on the gas peddle to maintain a constant speed. Is this something that I am doing with the gas pedal, or is this a problem I should have the dealer look at.
Old 03-02-2006, 08:18 PM
Advanced

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
On level ground? Are you sure its going to 4th and not the Torque Converter unlocking? (just trying to get the whole pic)
I assumed that it was going to 4th because I felt deceleration. I know it's not going to 3rd or lower gear because the RPM would have to jump really high. Unfortunately there is not enough time to react to tell exactly if it's downshifting (If it was happening for more than a second I could have shifted to SS to see the gear number). BTW may be there is a mod that would display gear in full auto- that would be cool.

Now I'm not sure how to tell if it's the torque converter unlocking. Would it have the same effect as downshifting?

This happens on a fairly level road, or may be on a slight decline but it also happens sometimes when I let foot off the gas pedal. Normally I would expect the car to coast and not try to downshift just because you released gas. It almost feels like the grade logic control is messed up and engages engine braking when it shouldn't.

Thanks for all your help. I find this forum to be very friendly and helpful.
Old 01-09-2009, 09:15 PM
There's no Acura in

Old thread alert. This is more of an informative post from me trying to describe what myself & the OP are experiencing.

On any level ground after acceleration you feel like you should coast but it's more of a sudden slowdown which feels like the transmission downshifted (but it didn't) which causes some engine braking. And in my case as soon as the rpms drop to almost-idle, they hop back up then settle down again.

I guess it is the torque converter locking/unlocking but this only started when my new transmission was put in. I say problem in quotes because in this thread a member says that it's odd and has never experienced it.

I've noticed it only happens in lower gears (2nd & 3rd). If I'm in 4th, I get a gradual/good coast. 2nd & 3rd, feels like a lot of engine braking & makes me have to keep my foot on the gas and do the coast manually...if I don't want to suddenly stop in the middle of the street. Happens in automatic and in the pseudo-manual mode.

I guess the torque converter locking/unlocking is probably normal but to me it seems some members experience it to certain degrees. I just wish there were some "proper torque converter operation" topics.

In the video below, notice how quickly the needle drops back down. At this point is where it feels like hard braking was applied. When the needle hops back up (and if I'm going slow enough) the car shoots forward a bit automatically.

http://s365.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=S8000008.flv
Old 01-09-2009, 09:22 PM
The Dumb One

Received 373 Likes on 249 Posts
at the speed you are mentioning... this is a very common thing to happen for many cars. not just our TL's.

ive had a honda accord that did this like clockwork around 75... it was just right at the point where the car couldnt decide if it needed more rpms or less.

torque converter like said above

havent noticed it on my acura yet. then again its eaither 40 mph in traffic or 90 b/c im always late to work.
Old 01-10-2009, 08:11 AM
There's no Acura in

Does it happen when you're in 3rd or 2nd gear though? Happens to me whether the engine/trans is cold or warm. The thing I don't get is why this only started once I got the new transmission.
Old 01-10-2009, 11:24 AM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by newperson
Old thread alert. This is more of an informative post from me trying to describe what myself & the OP are experiencing.

On any level ground after acceleration you feel like you should coast but it's more of a sudden slowdown which feels like the transmission downshifted (but it didn't) which causes some engine braking. And in my case as soon as the rpms drop to almost-idle, they hop back up then settle down again.

I guess it is the torque converter locking/unlocking but this only started when my new transmission was put in. I say problem in quotes because in this thread a member says that it's odd and has never experienced it.

I've noticed it only happens in lower gears (2nd & 3rd). If I'm in 4th, I get a gradual/good coast. 2nd & 3rd, feels like a lot of engine braking & makes me have to keep my foot on the gas and do the coast manually...if I don't want to suddenly stop in the middle of the street. Happens in automatic and in the pseudo-manual mode.

I guess the torque converter locking/unlocking is probably normal but to me it seems some members experience it to certain degrees. I just wish there were some "proper torque converter operation" topics.

In the video below, notice how quickly the needle drops back down. At this point is where it feels like hard braking was applied. When the needle hops back up (and if I'm going slow enough) the car shoots forward a bit automatically.

http://s365.photobucket.com/albums/o...t=S8000008.flv
There is nothing abnormal with that video. My auto did that and it even does that now that i have a 6 speed (when i push in the clutch)
Old 01-11-2009, 06:23 PM
Advanced

yeah dats weird..but for some reason my cruise control doesnt work?