Brand new 03 TL-S owner

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2003, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brand new 03 TL-S owner

Greetings all - I got my 03 TL-S one week ago today! (coming off an 02 Maxima SE). Couple of questions

I know it has 260 HP, but for some reason my 02 Max just seemed "stronger" if that makes sense? I hated the torque steer but stomping your foot on that thing scared the bejesus out of my passengers. The TL-S seems not to bring it all at once? I know I am getting to 60 pretty darn fast but there doesn't seem to be that neck snapping acceleration feel..or does the car just make it more pleasent for the driver??

Transmission - the auto seems to be doing some weird shifting between 30 and 40 mph, like it can't seem to decided what gear to be in? I see quite a few posts on tranny problems, am I seeing it too?

Tit for Tat on the Max v.s. the TL-S (as an owner)

Max was bigger inside, more roomy, but the ride was much harsher than the TL-S. TL-S looks and feels 10X better than the max though - very classy (except for the faux wood - blech).

Little things I miss from the Max - remote power down windows, better radio controls on Steering Wheel (track select up AND down please), cruise control all on steering wheel, lower vents that point at your feet not your calf, 60/40 split on back seats to trunk, better looking turn signal stalk (sorry the one in the TL-S looks right off a dodge omni ). Wider Tires!!

but...I just miss em - I love my new TL-S (but if Nissan and Honda ever do light the steering wheel controls, I would love them even more ).
Old 09-05-2003, 10:21 AM
lover and fighter

Received 32 Likes on 15 Posts
Congrats...
The Max would have more torque at a lower rpm than the TL-S and that is where the "feel" comes in. Likewise, stomping a new TL-S will also activate the VSA and bog you down a bit. Turm it off and then try to see what I mean...
The real performance in this car is over 4800 rpm and that is where it shines...
Unfortunately, the torque dilemna isn't cured by bolt-on a/m parts either (unless you get the s/c)...

Enjoy your ride and by the way, nice comparo!
Old 09-05-2003, 11:59 AM
Intermediate

Congrats.
I know what you mean about the weird cruise control in Hondas.
Only other disappointment I have w/ mine is no dual zone a/c.
Doubt you're having tranny problems this soon. If yours is late production '03, it has the upgrades.
Turn your VSA off & you'll feel some torque steer.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:08 PM
New Life

Welcome to the family, I know what you mean since I used to have a '96 Maxima SE 5spd. and the feeling of acceleration is stronger but like r10apple said, is the lower end torque that you missed. I do miss the roll down windows from the remote GOD! that was a good feature but the ride of the TLS is much better, I almost got me an '04 Max but after testing back a forth I decided that the TLS was better. Good luck and take care of her.
Old 09-05-2003, 12:45 PM
Racer

it was

between this and the TSX - I still go back on fourth on which one I should have gotten - -

dual zone and better stereo in tsx (plus a six speed) but the over "feel" was better in the TL-S..plus the room
Old 09-05-2003, 12:54 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the club. I have seen a couple TSX's on the road at night and they are starting to grow on me. Kinda makes me wish I should have waited for the '04 TL's...oh well. I still think the 2nd gen. body styles were and will be the best body
Old 09-08-2003, 07:33 AM
Drifting

I'm happy, the horsepower is still more appealing to me in the TLS.
Old 09-08-2003, 09:02 AM
Advanced

Re: Brand new 03 TL-S owner

Originally posted by groebuck1
Greetings all - I got my 03 TL-S one week ago today! (coming off an 02 Maxima SE). Couple of questions

I know it has 260 HP, but for some reason my 02 Max just seemed "stronger" if that makes sense? I hated the torque steer but stomping your foot on that thing scared the bejesus out of my passengers. The TL-S seems not to bring it all at once? I know I am getting to 60 pretty darn fast but there doesn't seem to be that neck snapping acceleration feel..or does the car just make it more pleasent for the driver??

Transmission - the auto seems to be doing some weird shifting between 30 and 40 mph, like it can't seem to decided what gear to be in? I see quite a few posts on tranny problems, am I seeing it too?
but...I just miss em - I love my new TL-S (but if Nissan and Honda ever do light the steering wheel controls, I would love them even more ).
I 'm totally agree with you on this one, I got my car for 2 weeks now. The car doesn't feel powerful at all if you use D5 all the time.
Try use SS, you will see a big difference 3000RPM+.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:05 AM
Racer

Dropped mine off at the dealer

to take care of the acid rain spotting on my hood, roof and trunk (I know I am rolling the dice using dealer detailers but since I am leasing, if they damage the paint I will raise holy hell ).

Anyhoo - they gave me a 2001 CL-type S to drive while they have my car. So I stomped on that one (since I have been babying the TL-S first 1000 miles). WOO boy - it goes (and today is very rainy - so the vsc kicked in and kept the car nice and straight) - funny how I am afriad to push my car, but gimme a 2001 with 48K that ain't mine and vroooom .

it also gave me a look at a three year old acura interior - almost identical to mine except this is tan. Mental note- keep your leather in good condition!! - the front driver and passenger seats in the loaner were shades darker than the back seats and insets!!(and shiney yuck - body oil) - The dash seemes to have some odd sticky coat on it (probably crappy protectant) - but the engine sounded sweet and growled nicely when I pushed it.
Old 09-08-2003, 10:14 AM
Instructor

I've had mine under 3 weeks and had to take it in today to replace the bumper which wasn't 100% painted. There was an edge that wasn't finished (got a free trunk tray for my trouble). Currently have a CL loaner (non-type-s) which drives pretty nicely but I'm glad I got the TL instead. Just feels much less roomy and the body style isn't as nice. I did see some TSX's on the lot though and those are beautiful. Kinda wondered if I should have gotten one of those until I remembered they are V4 with only 200 horses. But they definitely have a nicer interior. Incidentally, can I have my dark wood in my TL removed and replaced with the lighter wood without much trouble?
Old 09-08-2003, 10:19 AM
Racer

Hmm

the trunk tray came with mine? weird - I am not sure about the faux wod stuff, I have seen mods with carbon fiber so I am guessing it can be done.

Definatley less space in the CL! - but it is a 2-door coupe.

The more I see the TSX the more I want it, it was between the two with me as well - but I needed better room in back and I too was a bit leary of the 4banger (200HP or not). The six speed was a freaking dream though, like buttah.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:50 AM
Dragging knees in

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts
Re: Brand new 03 TL-S owner

Originally posted by groebuck1

Welcome to the club.

Like said above, the power of the TL-S comes in at higher RPM's. But it still has muc useable power down below, as well. Remember that the TL-S (not the TL-P) has torque-sensing steering, which means it's designed to reduce torque steer and vary steering efforts depending on the amount of torque coming in.

"The TL-S seems not to bring it all at once?" This just goes to show that the TL-S has a wide, gradual torque curve, not a peaky one.

Trasmission -- 30-50 mph, if you leave it in D5, it'll upshift to 5th at 45mph, but the torque converter will keep locking up and unlocking. This is why you feel a weird jerk, or sometimes feels like the car is decelerating. It's not fun, but it is normal, so don't worry. When you are driving in the city, though, keep it in D4 and that should solve your problem. Just remember to shift to D5 when you get on the highway.

Have fun and good luck.
Old 09-08-2003, 11:56 AM
Racer

D4

Thanks! - wondered what that d4 was - what kind of mileage are you folks getting? I seem to be getting 22 ish combo. My 02 Max got 24.5 combo (and I DROVE it still in the baby stage with my TL-S).
Old 09-08-2003, 12:40 PM
Instructor

I've got a loaner CL 3.0 right now and it feels faster or more responsive than my TL-S. Why?
Old 09-08-2003, 12:51 PM
Racer

You could be suffering from what I am

I'm a little gun shy about pressing my TLS until I get it broken in - but the loaner? no such worries - it feels like my 02 Max and I was starting to think there was a difference until I realized my lead foot came back becuase it isn't my car -

I'm getting close to 1000 so I may start pressing it - from all that I read though they really don't hit their sweet spots until the first 12K...
Old 09-08-2003, 01:04 PM
Instructor

Angry Perhaps

Hmm. So you think since it's not my car, I'm pushing it harder. That's a possibility. I've been using SS mode and gunning it and actually almost wrecked it because some "person" in an SUV pulled out in front of me. Sounds like your break-in period is over as they suggested 600 miles.
Old 09-08-2003, 01:12 PM
Racer

well

the first week I had it my roomate made a comment about it not being like "miss maxima" (what we called it since it was pearl white). Great...I was having buyer's remorse too (what did I do, I should have got the TSX, I should have kept the Max- boo hoo hoo). I realized today when I actually got in the CL-S that I have not been driving my new car like my Max...I'm not even sure why I am not since this is a lease !

But then I never really rode the Max hard until well into my 2000 mile range - I think it is inherent in us, dropping a good chunk of change make you cautious - you want keep it good - I honsetly don't think I have stepped on the gas more than 1/2 way down to get it going.

When I pick it up I will give it a go - see what happens between feeling the 01 CL-S and mine and report back - how's that?
Old 09-08-2003, 01:40 PM
Instructor

I just rolled 1250 in my TLP over the weekend. I started using SS and letting it get up into the sweet spot a little more now. What an exciting ride. It's a plush 'old man' car when I want comfort and style, but quickly turns into a hot rod when you roll on the gas a little bit harder. A kid in a late model Mit's GSR(x) I don't know, with a pipe, intake, maybe turbo, hard to hear with the intake sucking so loud, anyway, he wanted a taste, so I obliged. Green light to about 50mph and 25-60 walked him like a dog. He was embarrassed and turned off into a parking lot. I was by no means 'crakin' my whip either, just not babying it for a few minutes. I LOVE MY TL.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:35 PM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
count me in!!! I got my brand new TL-P yesterday, put on 70 miles and all I can say is: WHAT A CAR!
I have one question here, I know it comes with Bose sound system with 5 speaker?? it's gonna be 6 speakers, right? and what's the output for this stock system? 120W maybe?
Thanks.
Old 09-08-2003, 02:39 PM
Racer

nope it is 5 speaker

two in the front, two in the back doors and a bose unit in the back rear window cover area (not sure of the technical name) - the switched from tweeters mounted in the front window frame to this model - I am not sure if the back center unit is a sub woofer only or one of those bose omni directional speaker things I think the output is 120W not sure. The new speaker system in the TSX/04 TL is 8 speakers bose system 380 watts -
Old 09-09-2003, 09:54 AM
Racer

so I got my car back

and it definatley does not seem as peppy as the CL-S - it seems the accelorator pedal is not at touchy as it was on the loaner 01 CLS - still shy on stomping
Old 09-12-2003, 08:09 PM
Banned

welcome 2 the acura tl family
Old 09-12-2003, 09:15 PM
Racer

Thanks!!

Hey all - thanks for the welcome, I would like to pass along a lil tip I found - Cherry Wet Wax - it's cheap and makes your wheels glow, they shine so good!!!!

I am going for the AIO/UPP combo for my car, but the I got the Cherry Wet Wax to do my roomate's truck...so I was cleaning it tongiht and decided to use some for a quick shine - man o man are they bright!
Old 09-12-2003, 09:33 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

congrats man! enjoy your car and enjoy modding it!

@cUr@-TL
Old 09-13-2003, 11:01 PM
4th Gear

I've noticed an increase in performance and gas mileage after my first 12k miles. One question--is there any type of computer to defeat the 1-2 shift control in SS? And maybe to allow a downshift to 3rd above 85MPH? Just wondering...otherwise, I love it...lot's of fun in the mountains.