AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community

AcuraZine - Acura Enthusiast Community (https://acurazine.com/forums/)
-   2G TL (1999-2003) (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/)
-   -   Braking problem (https://acurazine.com/forums/2g-tl-1999-2003-98/braking-problem-830054/)

BN3DC2 08-19-2011 05:42 AM

Braking problem

my 03 TL just wont stop in the right time when i stepped on the brake pedal...it seems that my break pads can't hold the disc brake in fully stop. i tried driving my car in 40-60 mph and stepped on the brake so hard but the car just wont stop right away..the brake pads are new and it has enough brake fluids..is it normal or there's something wrong with it? please help.

farmdevil 08-19-2011 07:49 AM

I'm not certain I follow. So are you saying that once the car is stopped, the brakes won't hold it? That would be a bit weird. If I'm misunderstanding and it's just not stopping very well, perhaps you need to flush the fluid or perhaps just bleed it. If you have really old fluid or if air and moisture has gotten into it, stopping will feel really bad. I suppose another possibility would be incorrect pads.

01tl4tl 08-19-2011 09:13 AM

if those are brand new pads they need useage to `bed in` fully to the rotor
so the micro hills and valleys of both parts wear into each other
then you get solid braking

also change/flush the brake fluid if not done in the last 2 years
old fluid gives weak pedal

For now- ck the install and get some use on the brakes
It may take 500 miles of normal driving to get them working right

DO NOT do any full effort braking- thats hard on new pads

totaledTL 08-19-2011 10:07 AM

Any foreign matter on rotors, i. e. grease, oil, brake fluid, etc.??

01tl4tl 08-19-2011 10:43 AM

OP didnt mention new rotors... but contamination during brake job is always a possible

I am wondering how thick the rotors are? wear over 7-8 years can take it to minimum...
if OE rotors they are junk by now

and old `hygroscoped` fluid, with new pads, and didnt sand clean the rotors before install...
that would add up to not much brakes at first

Im still going with needs bedding,,maybe rotors and fluid
Why not do a brake job right!
like clean and lube the slider plates,,lube caliper pins, lube pad backs,,replace fluid

BN3DC2 08-19-2011 12:32 PM

where do i flush or bleed the fluid to change a new one? thanks for the help fellas...i really appreciate it..

01tl4tl 08-19-2011 04:54 PM

use the search for brake flush or brake bleed
Do you have a buddy that knows a little about cars, has basic tools?
jackstands?

BN3DC2 08-20-2011 04:35 AM

i have the basic tools...now i know what to do after researching..:thumbsup:

Originally Posted by 01tl4tl (Post 13174840)
use the search for brake flush or brake bleed
Do you have a buddy that knows a little about cars, has basic tools?
jackstands?

fsttyms1 08-20-2011 06:41 AM

Is your pedal spongy at all?

01tl4tl 08-20-2011 11:54 AM

spongy = meaning when stopped- in park- try a quick double pump on the brake pedal
does it feel firmer- stops higher up, on the 2nd pump?
Does it feel mushy during braking?

the TL has a special bleed order: LF driver front then clockwise around the car
LF RF RR LR,,thats different than most cars
The 2 man method works well for noobs, DO place a 2x4 wood block under brake pedal arm to prevent pedal from going more than 3/4 way to the floor- its normal operating range - or risk damage to the master cylinder,,another 100 bucks you didnt need to spend

BN3DC2 08-20-2011 01:23 PM

is not spongy at all..the only thing that i've noticed, is when i step on the brake while on park and the engine was running...everytime i step on the brake, there is something clicking right under the shift knob..any idea?

farmdevil 08-20-2011 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by BN3DC2 (Post 13176165)
is not spongy at all..the only thing that i've noticed, is when i step on the brake while on park and the engine was running...everytime i step on the brake, there is something clicking right under the shift knob..any idea?

That clicking is not a problem. It is just the brake pedal telling the gear shift that it's safe to go from park to drive. On some cars it gets a bit louder, but all automatics have such a contraption.