Brakes Warped again??? Need advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-2003, 12:12 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Brakes Warped again??? Need advice

I'm driving down the highway at about 175 km/h (yes i know this is very fast)....that's about 105 MPH...anyhow, I see a bunch of cops up ahead and they're nearing pretty quickly (obviously at that speed) so I hit my brakes not hard but I apply them a safe amount, and all I can feel in my hands is my steering wheel f*cking shaking like mad...and I don't mean shaking, I mean like if I wasn't holding the steering wheel the car may have lost control...

Is this normal for it too shake at such high speeds? The problem is, I can't reinact the problem when going at 120 km/h....

any advice?
Old 09-01-2003, 12:37 AM
Like a mideget on a moped

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i had the thing happend i was going 80 down hill and i was being safe....
Old 09-01-2003, 12:39 AM
Three Wheelin'

so are they warped?
Old 09-01-2003, 01:24 AM
Like a mideget on a moped

i think they are i have to take them to acura the funny thing is that they replaced my rotors not even 1000 miles ago. (or so they say they did) but i felt it worse the whole thing was shaking
Old 09-01-2003, 08:32 AM
New Life

sc354: How many miles on the car, what yr? You should be able to take the car to the dealer and have them replaced everything, rotors, pads. Make sure they check the suspension because it could be deeper than just the breaks. If after replacing the rotors and pads you still have the problem, then I'll be looking into suspension problem. Good luck!
Old 09-01-2003, 09:40 AM
Banned

any1 have slotted rotors
Old 09-01-2003, 10:47 AM
Three Wheelin'

I have 12 000km on my car and I already had the rotors re-machined at 7600 km...oh well...I guess Acura is gonna have to replace them this time.

Should I bring the TSB that we got with me? I would rather not come in like a mad man with the TSB cause they will probably tell me to go and f*ck myself....

any suggestions?
Old 09-01-2003, 11:53 AM
New Life

Go there with a nice attitude and see what they can do for you, if that does not work, then you can use what you have, but I suggest the nice and slow approach first. I know is frustrating but good manners always takes you farder, they know you already have ammunition for them so stay cool. Good luck, keep us posted.
Old 09-01-2003, 09:11 PM
Advanced

the dealer knows about the major problems acura is having with its tranny and rotors. if they give you a problem, call acura client services and complain.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:25 AM
Intermediate

you know, i just got my rotors REPLACED two weeks ago. and i'm already getting the vibrating steering wheel again. i dunno what to do with acura anymore. maybe our car isn't such a "deal" afterall.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:58 AM
Instructor

im choked about all this rotor crap too, i bought my car from the dealer with warped rotors! i took it back and they resurfaced one rotor! i didnt have the TSB before but now i do, and it states to replace all four pads as well, im waiting/wanting them to warp again so i can go in with TSB, i also have to go in because my moonroof rattles now, i got a wood dash piece which is loose, and i got some paint bubbles on my paint, this TL looks good cover to cover, but in between the stories it holds....
Old 09-03-2003, 05:29 AM
3rd Gear

gents, unfortunately this is a serious design/materials problem. The rotors are to lightweight and can not take the heat. Rotors use to be part of the hub years ago,now they are hubless with hardly no weight to them, they easily warp. Especially if used with an extremely hard brake pad.Acura and the Acura dealerships are giving every owner the run around. I had the same problem and had my rotors turned twice with no luck. Take note... I have 46k on my 02 TLS and the pads are almost like new .... no wear!!! The pads must be extremely hard. Rather than fight and waste time with the dealership I bit the bullet and purchased a pair of power stop cross drilled rotors and a set of Hawk HPS brake pads. I installed them in less than 2 hours. Cross drilled rotors will run 75 to 200 degs cooler
They will also allow the gases to escape to keep the pads against the rotor ( pads outgasing when hard braking lifts the pads off the rotors resulting in less braking performance)I feel strongly that this will permantly rectify the problem. Total cost $275.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:36 AM
Burning Brakes

I picked up my Type-S last July (manufactured Nov 02) and did the normal break-in stuff and everything went OK. Then we took a long drive to Philadelphia. After driving my sister-in-law's Honda Pilot (also 4-wheel discs) I noted that the TL was indeed braking differently and had a slight "hum" during gradual brake application at high speeds that wasn't noticed on the Pilot.

I brought it back to D/T Acura and had the 6000 km service done and also had the squeaky moonroof fixed OK. Then I mentioned about the brakes, so they test drove the car and said they did not find anything wrong. I told them about the "hum" at high speed braking that you can feel at the pedals and slightly on the steering wheel. At first a service rep named Bob stated the rotors may need to be machined (almost knowing right away that the rotors were the problem) and that it would be covered by warranty.

After I went with the mechanic on a 2nd test drive, his opinion was that the rear rotors were "glazed" and there was some buildup that apperently was not removed by normal driving because of the way the rear discs work braking after the front ones do. His solution was just to lightly sand the rotors and the pads down and determined that it was a common problem.

After discussing it with Bob, he then determined that any brake work done at such an early stage (5500 kms) is "not covered" by Acura and that either I pay $90 for labor, or wait until 12,000 kms and have it done as apart of the routine maintenance. He also said that I wasn't driving the car as much and that I need to brake "harder" to get rid of the "buidup". I told him my sister-in-law's Pilot wasn't driven as much and she doesn't brake as hard (not with 3 small kids in the back), and yet never experienced problems with the brakes.

I just about went nuts and spoke to the service manager. He indicated that a mechanic needs to replicate the problem with a third test drive to determine if it was indeed the rotors. I was about to do the TSB thing but my salesman (Ajay) found out and offered to intervene on my behalf.

My point is I had a 2000 1.6 EL and it never had any noticeable brake issues as the Type-S which costs twice as much. I already spoke a to C/S rep from Honda and they want to find out what transpires after the next test drive.

I'm starting to wonder about aftermarket brakes now. The car is worth over Can $40k and needs so much attention after being driven normally. Maybe I shouldn't have gotten rid of that EL after all. Never had this much aggravation.
Old 09-03-2003, 08:42 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by maxx96
Go there with a nice attitude and see what they can do for you, if that does not work, then you can use what you have, but I suggest the nice and slow approach first. I know is frustrating but good manners always takes you farder, they know you already have ammunition for them so stay cool. Good luck, keep us posted.
Here's what being nice got me from dealing with Acura.

1. Said that my rotor problem was normal "wear and tear" and would have to pay for them to do it. Denied having a service bulletin about this issue.

2. Called Acura Client Services and politely voiced my concern about the rotors. They also denied the service bulletin but agreed to resurface the front rotors for free. They would not replace the brake pads (which is the cause of the problem).

3. Dealer isn't so friendly now that I've talked to client services about the issue (I guess they really wanted my money).

Now that I've learned of the service bulletin (and have a copy of it in my hands), I'm not going to be so nice about it anymore and demand new rotors and pads. If Acura will not fix a KNOWN FLAW with the car, then I'm going to do my business elsewhere.