Brake & Rotors

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2004, 10:12 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Brake & Rotors

Hi guys!
Sharing frustrated story...
I have an '03 TL-S and back in January when I had 30K miles, my steering wheel started shaking and more. So I took it into the dealer and dealer told me that it was my fault and so they were going to have to resurface front and rear rotors and replace rear pads. They said it wasn't a warranty item because it was a wear item. Like a fool, I nodded and paid them! I called Acura and they said it wasn't covered either b/c it was a wear item. Well, a week ago, after 8K miles, the brake shudder returned. I took the car back to the dealer and he resurface rotors again and replaced front pads. But this time, no charge! He had no comment this time! Go figure! Is there a better solution to prevent further damage from happening in long run? How long can I expect these rotors/pads to last? Any similar stories out there?
Thanks!
Old 05-29-2004, 10:23 AM
Instructor

You are going to have to do like many of us already have. Knuckle up, and purchase after-market rotors and pads. I know it might hurt the wallet a little now, but take this from someone who knows, it will be well worth it not to have be frustrated with what seems to be a non-fixable issue by Acura. Good luck.
Old 05-29-2004, 10:43 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by chackobc
Hi guys!
Sharing frustrated story...
I have an '03 TL-S and back in January when I had 30K miles, my steering wheel started shaking and more. So I took it into the dealer and dealer told me that it was my fault and so they were going to have to resurface front and rear rotors and replace rear pads. They said it wasn't a warranty item because it was a wear item. Like a fool, I nodded and paid them! I called Acura and they said it wasn't covered either b/c it was a wear item. Well, a week ago, after 8K miles, the brake shudder returned. I took the car back to the dealer and he resurface rotors again and replaced front pads. But this time, no charge! He had no comment this time! Go figure! Is there a better solution to prevent further damage from happening in long run? How long can I expect these rotors/pads to last? Any similar stories out there?
Thanks!
JUST STARTED TO HAPPEN 2 MY CAR
Old 05-29-2004, 12:11 PM
10th Gear

After-market rotors/pads

Will after-market rotors/pad do the trick as opposed to Acura solutions? If so, how much are they and where can I get them and what brand should I look for? Thanks!
Old 05-29-2004, 01:21 PM
Intermediate

I had the same thing happen to me after about 9k miles on my '02 TL...and they covered the pads and the rotor resurfacing under warranty.
The service manager made the mistake of telling me that it was my fault because of the way I was driving stop/go traffic. I laid into him and told him he full of shit because (1) I don't drive that way nor ride the brake, and (2) told it was probably happening because the manufacturing plant (or the original dealer) over-torqued the lug bolts or that there was a defect in their parts. He just looked at me because he didn't have a response. It helps to know a little about cars...especially when you're in the automotive business and also when you're knowledgable about cars.

If it happens to anyone else, push them to cover it under warranty.
Old 05-29-2004, 05:46 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
go back to the dealer and tell him to fix them for free because you know there is a TSB on them! other wse you can pony up 259.00 for all 4 cross drilled and slotted rotors from IROTORS.