Bra

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2001, 08:33 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bra

I seem to get the impression that not too many people like the looks of bras on their TLs, but I got one anyway. I put the top section on first and thought it looked pretty nice - actually I liked. After putting the bottom part on I was a little unsure of the overall look. I guess I'm getting used to it - but I think it takes away from the nice lines of the car.

Anyway, my question is --- for the people that have them, do you take it off to dry everytime it rains or you wash the car? what other maintenance do you do to the car/bra to keep them looking good.

BTW, the car is silver. Thinking about getting another one for my wifes black '00 Maxima - it already has a lot of chips on the bumper and hood.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:50 AM
Racer

I don't take it off after it rains (of course it's only been in the rain once). The only time I take it off is when I wash the car, then I immediately put it back on and wipe it off with a damp towel to keep it clean. That's it.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:57 AM
Advanced

I had a bra for my last car, a black Nissan 200sx, and if I left the bra on in the rain, it would fog the paint. It eventually subsided, but with Acura's notoriously thin paint, I would NOT take the chance.

I take it off to wash the car, wipe off the bra with a clean damp rag, brush off the dirt from the felt (if any) and put it back on after the car has dried.

Using the entire bra has saved a lot of elbow grease and frustration with the bugs from the freeway (and probably rocks too). The bugs come off with a very simple easy wipe with very little pressure or effort.

Erik
Old 07-24-2001, 11:23 AM
Pro

I just put the hood part on. The rest of it I am not sure how it will looks.

I did take it off once a week and let the paint "breath".
Old 07-24-2001, 01:54 PM
Moo
Pro

I think the bra looks pretty cool.
I put it on only on long highway runs, which I do on most weekends when I head down to NYC. I would try not to leave it on for too long...I've heard it can cause discoloration in the paint.
Old 07-24-2001, 06:35 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Moo
I think the bra looks pretty cool.
I put it on only on long highway runs, which I do on most weekends when I head down to NYC. I would try not to leave it on for too long...I've heard it can cause discoloration in the paint.
Same, only for road trips.
Old 07-24-2001, 07:57 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I have the Bra, but have only used the top part. I think with all the bugs now, I will have to put on the bottom piece.

BTW, I think the bra looks good on darker coloured vehicles as they dont stand out too much.
Old 07-24-2001, 08:55 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I just bought one and from what I hear others say, many agree that it looks great on light colored cars. I also heard on the TL-S discussion that leaving it on for a long (but not extended) period of time will not discolor your paint (and as someone told me, even if it did, the nosemask would cover it up anyway). Here's what I do: wash and dry the car, wax it very well, and put the mask on. I take mine off every time I wash, once every two weeks or so, and then repeat the same steps. One guy told me that he has been doing this to all three of his cars (Honda + Acura) for the last seven or so years and there is no paint discoloration. I say, go for the mask. It's so much easier to clean the bugs off of it, not to mention the low possibility of damaging the hood paint.
Old 07-24-2001, 09:15 PM
Banned

Don't starting flaming me for this, but IMHO unless you are showing the car in competitions I don't understand why someone would want a bra on their car. Here's my (supposed) logic:

The idea behind the bra is to protect the nose of the car from bugs, road tar and most importantly dings from gravel, rocks and the occasional cigarette butt thrown from the car in front of you, right? And in that sense, the bras do their job. But here's my pitch--if the bra is always on the car then no one ever sees that pristine paint, so what's the point? If you show the car in competitions then it makes sense--drive around daily with the bra, then take it off and polish 'er up for the show. But if you are the type that takes it off only to wash the car, then puts it right back on again, no one gets to see the paint. Instead they see a black bra (which unless it's on a black car) that sticks out and it's covered with all the crap that would have been on the front of the car anyway. What good is protecting something you never see?

It's like putting a bag over your ugly date's head. Sure no one has to see her now, but you still have to look at a lame paper bag all night. You just need to get a new date!!

Seriously though, I think the clear XPel-type bras are a decent compromise. It offers the protection of the bra without the inconvenience/asthetics of the leather-type ones. At least you get to see the nose of the car as intended.

Please don't think I'm $hitting on anyone with bras--I'm not. To each his/her own. Heck, I've got the moonroof visor which I love and I know many people that think it looks ugly as dog doo. I just don't understand the logic of protecting something that will never be seen. Like if you started waxing the underside of your car!
Old 07-25-2001, 12:20 AM
Cruisin'

I definately take mine off if it's been in the rain. My manufacturer suggests that too. I also take it off for washing and waxing. I personally don't mind the look of it and if I ever go to resell the car, the next owner will appreciate the fact that I have one.
Old 07-25-2001, 06:29 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by pianoman41
Don't starting flaming me for this, but IMHO unless you are showing the car in competitions I don't understand why someone would want a bra on their car. Here's my (supposed) logic:

The idea behind the bra is to protect the nose of the car from bugs, road tar and most importantly dings from gravel, rocks and the occasional cigarette butt thrown from the car in front of you, right? And in that sense, the bras do their job. But here's my pitch--if the bra is always on the car then no one ever sees that pristine paint, so what's the point? If you show the car in competitions then it makes sense--drive around daily with the bra, then take it off and polish 'er up for the show. But if you are the type that takes it off only to wash the car, then puts it right back on again, no one gets to see the paint. Instead they see a black bra (which unless it's on a black car) that sticks out and it's covered with all the crap that would have been on the front of the car anyway. What good is protecting something you never see?

It's like putting a bag over your ugly date's head. Sure no one has to see her now, but you still have to look at a lame paper bag all night. You just need to get a new date!!

Seriously though, I think the clear XPel-type bras are a decent compromise. It offers the protection of the bra without the inconvenience/asthetics of the leather-type ones. At least you get to see the nose of the car as intended.

Please don't think I'm $hitting on anyone with bras--I'm not. To each his/her own. Heck, I've got the moonroof visor which I love and I know many people that think it looks ugly as dog doo. I just don't understand the logic of protecting something that will never be seen. Like if you started waxing the underside of your car!
Many people that see my car everyday really admire the nosemask. I also personally think it gives the car a more sportier / aggressive look. For one thing, people are finally moving out of the left lane when they see me charging. Another thing is that I live in a place where there is a LOT of construction to top it off, I have to deal with countless 18 wheelers everyday (it seems like they all pass by my exit). The clean look without the nosemast is really nice too and I can see pianoman's point, but if I didn't have a nosemask, nobody would be able to see the pristine paint of the hood anyways. I am certain that the front of my car would have resembled the perforated leather (with bigger holes) if I didn't have the nosemask. Not to mention, the resale value will be higher if you have a cleaner / newer looking car. BTW, pianoman, I also have a moonroof visor and am glad I have one. I can hear the difference it makes on the highway going 75MPH.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:50 AM
Instructor

Does anyone know if the bra will fit on a TL-S with an underbody kit. I really want to get one to protect my paint on long freeway drives.
Old 07-25-2001, 09:57 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Exclamation re: Bra

Originally posted by walker29
Does anyone know if the bra will fit on a TL-S with an underbody kit. I really want to get one to protect my paint on long freeway drives.
The bra will NOT fit if you have the underbody kit.... just the hood part will fit. The bumper part will not......
Old 07-25-2001, 10:01 AM
Instructor

Thx juniorbean. That sucks.
Old 08-09-2001, 03:14 AM
Advanced

forgive me for bringing up a sorta dead topic, but I was wondering, is the bra easy to put on and take off? Im schooling 3 hours drive away from home, and I figure a bra for the trip back and forth would be great. Im concerned about the ease of installation. thanks
Old 08-09-2001, 05:57 AM
Dr. TLS

Originally posted by TLDanny
forgive me for bringing up a sorta dead topic, but I was wondering, is the bra easy to put on and take off? Im schooling 3 hours drive away from home, and I figure a bra for the trip back and forth would be great. Im concerned about the ease of installation. thanks
The first time you learn how it is put on and taken of, it will take you 10 mins max each time. Later, when you know where all the straps are, it should take you no more than 2 minutes.
Old 08-09-2001, 10:10 AM
Advanced

sweet! thanks
Old 08-09-2001, 10:52 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb re: bra

Well, since you brought up an old topic, I can respond b/c I have the hood portion of the bra installed. I did this instead of the full bra b/c I'm not a fan of the full bra look (no offense to anyone). Plus, the hood part only takes 1 min. max to put on and take off. Check out the link in my sig for some pics....
Old 08-09-2001, 08:57 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
LOL Pianoman, I feel exactly teh same way and used to have a bar on my old accord for long drives only or doing the winterr/spring when the roads would just crumble. The rest of the time I would leave it in the garage.

Do NOT leave a bra on the car all the time and DO take it off when it rains or when you wash the car. I had the discoloration on my Accord's bumper, water got under the clear coat and eventually it dried out and disappeared, but it took several days. Plus if you do have any chips in the paint now no matter how small, some you may not be even ablet os ee right now, and you have a wet bra just sitting on it for an extended period of time you'll have tiny bubbling paint spots all over the hood from rust in the tiny exposed areas. Trust me I learned the hard way. Most bra manufacturers recommend taking them off in wet conditions and they do it for these reasons. Dont kick yourselves in the butt for being lazy later on. I did everytime I washed and waxed my Accord and saw what I did to the hood. Also take that thing off every time you was your car. Youd be surprised how much dust and dirt works its way under there. Many times it looked worse than any other part of the car and you dont want all that rubbing into your paint.
Old 08-09-2001, 09:14 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
I use the top part only. recently when travelling @ about 70 to 80 MPH, the lft side of this bra lifts up and flaps against the paint.

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 08-09-2001, 11:22 PM
Advanced

yeh, the fact that youre protecting the car by having that bra on all the time doesnt make sense to me either. Im only considering it for my road trips thats all....but 140bucks....I duno...