bought a 2002 tls with 65000 miles

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 11:35 AM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bought a 2002 tls with 65000 miles

i bought a 2002 tls with 65000 miles before i knew of alll these problems. i had a 99 tl and it ran great with no problems.the tls i bought drives awesome and shifts perfect. i called acura and they said none of the tranny work had been done and i should take it in asap. why should i take it in if there is no problem. are there some trannys that never suffer from these problems. i absolutly love the car but im thinking of seeling it to get my money back out of it. somebody please inform me about my questions thanks
Old 03-22-2005, 12:22 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
don't fret. the car is/was a wise choice. awesome vehicle. i have had mine for a little more than a year now and have had my tranny replaced. i still love my car.

to answer your questions, every acura in the specified manfucturing date range is subject to this problem.

bring in your car as soon as convenient though. they will do an *inspection* if the inspection turns up something bad they will replace the tranny. if they find nothing they will only install the jet kit to lube the gears more.

refusing to bring in your car for the recall will most likely VOID your warranty and ANY legal rights you have in the event of a failure.

in the large scale picture of things, the amount of failures is probably 25-30% of the trannies manufactured for the specified year. i would imagine that some will never see a failure. just the luck of the draw. sucks, yes i know, but it's not a big deal overall when you consider the replacements are *FREE!!*, plus the engine itself is proven for a 200,000 mile lifespan, maybe even more.

i would keep the car and enjoy it if i were you.

SSTS
Old 03-22-2005, 01:26 PM
10th Gear

so what do i do when i pass 100k. i bought this car to last. if i wanted transmission probs i would of bought a chrysler. i mean i didnt spend that much money to get 35000 miles out of a car. will they replace it after 100k
Old 03-22-2005, 02:07 PM
4th Gear

ok i brought a 02 tl wit 43k miles on it from a used car lot can i still get acura warrnaty and take it to a deal to see if there is any thing wrong wit my car
Old 03-22-2005, 02:14 PM
10th Gear

well i know i can take it to the the dealer and get it checked. thats not my problem. but the way it sounds is that after people get that oil kit put on they start having problems. and what do i do after 100k.
Old 03-22-2005, 03:37 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

EDWIN - the transmission is warrantied to 100k miles by honda/acura, so if you don't have the extended warranty don't worry.

dpg427 - indeed the tranny issue sucks, but no car company is without issues. i *personally* have talked to nissan mechanics who have said the new 350Zs have plenty of tranny failures. VW recalled 10s of thousands of cars (audi's included) for axles that were breaking. BMW and Mercedes were listed as poor build quality and unreliable by Car and Driver this year. you cannot escape problems. we just don't hear as much about the others since we belong to acura forums.

some of the others have opted to replace their transmission with a reinforced tranny built by someone other than acura. to spend $3k on a tranny is not a bad investment for a car you can drive to 250k miles. especially when over the life of your honda you will probably not have to do much work to the car.

out of curiousity, are you worried about hitting 100k that soon? what's the average amount of miles you put on in a year? (this is not a sarcastic question, i'm actually curious)

i truly believe that any tranny failure *after* the installation of the oil kit is a horrible coincidence. if you look at the design, bolting in that oil jet doesn't touch anything else internally. it sends more lube to the gears. plus if you don't get it you'll just void the warranty anyway.

all in all, it's a sucky problem, but you will have problems with nearly any car you buy. personally i don't think it's worth worrying about. just do the proper maintenance and get it checked on if you're in doubt.
Old 03-22-2005, 04:32 PM
10th Gear

thanks silver. i drive alot of miles and like you i do expect a honda to run forever. i will get the traany checked out. another question is about the aftermarket transmissions. where can i get on and how much. are they really that much more dependable. i would defenitly spend 3 grand to not have to worry.

i always buy used cars by honda and this is the first i have worried about. i have always felt that a honda with 60k on it is like new so why but a new one. my 2002 tls is like new. it drives perfect. im paranoid that itll go out again and again and ill never be able to sell it. does the nissan altima se have similar problems. i was picking between that and a tls. i obviously went for the tls. if you have one you understand. thanks
Old 03-23-2005, 08:30 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by dpg427
thanks silver. i drive alot of miles and like you i do expect a honda to run forever. i will get the traany checked out. another question is about the aftermarket transmissions. where can i get on and how much. are they really that much more dependable. i would defenitly spend 3 grand to not have to worry.

i always buy used cars by honda and this is the first i have worried about. i have always felt that a honda with 60k on it is like new so why but a new one. my 2002 tls is like new. it drives perfect. im paranoid that itll go out again and again and ill never be able to sell it. does the nissan altima se have similar problems. i was picking between that and a tls. i obviously went for the tls. if you have one you understand. thanks
anytime. i know it can be frustrating. i do indeed have a 2002 type-s. i have no plans on getting rid of it. i love the car too much.

as far as the nissans go, i do not know about the altimas right now, but it was october last year when i talked to the mechanic who said the 350Zs were having a good number of tranny issues that he had seen.

indeed, your honda with 60k is only just broken in (in my opinion). if a tranny is rebuilt with the right aftermarket parts (i.e. - higher heat resisting materials, harder metals, reinforced pieces) it will be much much more reliable than a stock tranny. a couple of people have either bought reinforced trannies or had theirs rebuilt by local shops with upgraded parts. i'm sure you will find them in a search.

good luck, and enjoy your car. the benefits far outweigh the problem!

SSTS
Old 03-23-2005, 12:22 PM
10th Gear

thanks

hey silver were should i go for that tranny work. a local transmission place or what thanks
Old 03-24-2005, 07:42 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by dpg427
hey silver were should i go for that tranny work. a local transmission place or what thanks
the vast majority of people here have said that they have had excellent results going to local shops. mainly because you tend to have highly skilled people with a small customer base who will pay more attention to your needs because they need to make sure they get enough business.

personally, i would shop around and look at prices, warrantees and most of all, the first impression you get about their customer service. in the end though you will probably end up opting for a local shop.

you may even want to look for local reputable speed shops. some of the mechanics who work in those places know more than the engineers who design the cars. but not always, so be sure to do your homework first.

SSTS