Body kit installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2001, 11:33 AM
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Body kit installation

I am considering buying the body kit from this site and was wondering how much I should expect to pay to have it installed?
Also, any recommendations as to where to get it installed? I live in South Florida.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:10 PM
Burning Brakes

I haven't done it my self, but it seems from other posts on this site, the body kit is fairly easy to install yourself. I'd browse the board to see what you can find. I seem to remember someone here named Dan_F just installed a body kit, among other things. I think in the Gallery forum, he has a post entitled "Pics of TL Chop Shop". He could probably give you some leads.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-10-2001, 01:12 PM
Burning Brakes

http://www.acura-tl.com/forum/showth...threadid=15948

Here's the thread to Dan F's post.
Old 07-10-2001, 04:09 PM
Loving my 08 TLS!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the instructions from Mr Hyde. I installed my own kit the day before July 4th. Just follow the instructions. It is pretty straight forward and you will save over $225 if you take it to a dealer.

How to Install your OEM Body Kit.
As far as the kit goes, installation was pretty simple. Everything except the front piece used the OEM holes.

Front piece
The front piece required drilling the underside of the bumper. I placed the lip on the car, it stayed on no problem even ith no one holding it. Then drilled through the holes on the lip spoiler into the bumper, and used the screws that came with the kit to install it. The two corners required using two holoow ring washers that come with the kit as well, you'll see why when screwing them in.

The Side Skirts
These were fairly straight forward. To take off the stock ones you need to remove the screws in the front wheel well that screw into the sideskirts. Also there are screws that are underneath teh car that need to be unscrewed. You'll see them once you look under the car. Once all the screws are out, you you need to push the side skirt forward to get it off the car. I used a bar and wedged it between the OEM skirt and the rear wheel levering it forward. The skirt slid right out. Once you take the skirt off, you'll see white plugs in square holes in the side of the car. Take these out by rotating them 90 degrees and pulling them out. You need to resuse these plugs and put them into the body kit's sideskirts, they slide right in. Then just line up the skirt's plugs with the corresponding holes and push the skirt on. Then just tighten the screws under the car and in the wheel well.

Rear skirt
Slide in the clips that come in the kit into the corresponding slots that are already cut out in the rear bumper,s lower lip. Then just put on the body kits rear lip and screw the screws on into the clips to hold it on. You also have to drill two small holes in the rear wheel well for the ends of teh rear skirt. I didnt even bother taking the raer wheel offf fo rthis. I used a dremel with a drill bit. Drilled a crooked hole, and just put in the two screws on each side. No big deal.

Everything you need comes with the kit. There are no instructions, but I didnt need them. Everything becomes obvious once you are laying on your back looking under the car. Just Jack it up on Jack Stands if you have em to make it all 10x easier. I figured out the side skirts after taking them off my Accord to paint them, and these are exactly the same. Total time it took was about 1 to 2 hours including jacking the car up at all points, getting all my tools, etc, etc.

Good Luck, post here with any questions, and I'll then send this to the FAQ archives.

-Mr Hyde