Blitzsafe for IPOD

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2006, 12:31 AM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I didn't take any photos right now but I can when I open it back up. I'll hopefully open it up this weekend...wish me luck boys

Yes I ordered the honda one...I actually called them up and the salesperson (charlie) was suprised that I had even heard about the product. Good luck guys.
Old 11-29-2006, 01:43 AM
Unified Thizz District

wow....looks liek my tl is gettin an ipod
Old 11-29-2006, 03:47 PM
Pro

Received 42 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by sadude
honestly the haines adapter worked great...I just gotta follow-up with the installation to see what went wrong. I am pretty sure the ipod wire that plugs into the interface box came loose.

I think the best part about it is the oem control feature. i ran the wire to the center console and without making any cuts, i was able to fish it in there. very clean install if i say so myself.
you mean the axxess adapater that haines is selling? i dont see anything else on their crappy site.
Old 11-29-2006, 06:04 PM
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
ok, I got my PIE X3 with harness which is PIE X3HON98 for my 99 TL with navi.
After I installed, the unit worked well with my trunk CD changer with extra three audio inputs. Then it suddenly stopped working because of the harness. So I have to exchange it to new harness. I have to wait two more days. Can't wait til I connect the IPOD to the unit.
Old 11-30-2006, 10:47 AM
8th Gear

Originally Posted by bojangling
So the Haines adapter worked. Seems to be a better buy than the blitzsafe if it allows track control and doesn't have any drawbacks.
Do you have a website for Haines? Thanks for the info!!
Old 12-01-2006, 01:05 AM
Cruisin'

Haines Ipod Adapter

There is the link for Haines boys...It was posted earlier but it never hurts to post it again.
Old 12-01-2006, 02:50 AM
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I figure that I'd offer my opinion on the Blitzsafe since I installed it and absolutely love it.

First, I bought mine from EnfigCarStereo.com. They had the best price and offered cheap shipping, usually the Priority Mail is your best bet: Enfig
Second, there was a question about if you could use Blitzsafe and the CD changer in the back. If you don't have a CD changer and don't plan on getting one (don't need it when you got an iPod!), then buy the HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1. If you want to keep your changer, then buy the HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1D. But trust me on this: When you get your iPod connected, you'll never need to touch CDs again after you've converted them to MP3. Those part numbers are for 98-03 TL, CL, etc.

About the installation. Generally, I'm not one to go full out with mods on my car since I'm afraid I'll mess things up. But installing this was really easy. There were some great threads in the forum on how to gain access to the back of the stereo. It starts with removing the wood trim from the sides of the center console, removing a bunch of screws in the center console, and taking off the passenger-side plastic side panel to get access to the back of the stereo. If you or someone you know has small hands, you can install the Blitzsafe without having to remove the radio. But you need to be patient! You can access the back of the radio from the passenger side, and I believe the CD changer port is on the lower right corner of the back of the radio if you're looking at it straight on. It took me about 5 minutes to find where the CD changer port was since I couldn't see it. Then I plugged in the adapter and tucked the yellow Blitzsafe controller just under and behind the radio. There is space for it, it is essentially right behind the coin tray. The iPod connector cable has the iPod connector on one end and an S-video-looking connector on the other. The S-video-type connector plugs into a short cable that hangs off the yellow Blitzsafe box. I took my center console out, drilled a hole just under where the cigarette lighter is, ran the S-video-end of my cable through the hole and under where the center console will sit, and connected it to the Blitzsafe. Then I ran the iPod end of the cable through where the cupholder sits. I tucked all the excess cable under where the center console sits since the cable is quite long. I put the center console back in fully, put everything back together, and I was done!
So, my iPod nano sits on top of the cup holder, but it's great since I can close the cup holder and the nano is out of view and doesn't get smashed by the cup holder doors. If I need to put a drink there, I have enough slack on the iPod cable to pull it up and out of the way from the drinks. I can't tell you how happy I am with the way it sounds. It sounds louder than CDs. And if you set the iPod EQ to Bass Booster, your sub will sound like it should have all along! The big advantage of the Blitzsafe-type adapters is that it is line-in quality, so the only volume adjustment that you need is on the radio or the steering wheel control. The cassette or FM adapters are a pain in the neck since you have to adjust the iPod volume and the radio volume. The other big advantage is that it keeps your iPod charged while driving and keeps charging after the car has been off for 20 minutes. The iPod will not automatically start playing when you turn on your car, but it WILL pause your iPod when you turn off your car. The only downside to Blitzsafe is that you need to use the iPod controls to change songs, so there is the danger of taking your eyes off the road to go to a new tune. However, I just change songs while at the stop light. Plus, the alternative adapters make you set up playlists to allow you to use the steering wheel controls? Sounds like too much of a hassle for me.
Since I installed it months ago, I haven't listened to the radio at all. By far, this was the best $70 I've spent on the car. Hope this helps!
Old 12-01-2006, 11:38 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by Hey Casey
I figure that I'd offer my opinion on the Blitzsafe since I installed it and absolutely love it.

Second, there was a question about if you could use Blitzsafe and the CD changer in the back. If you don't have a CD changer and don't plan on getting one (don't need it when you got an iPod!), then buy the HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1. If you want to keep your changer, then buy the HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1D.
This adapter is for an aftermarket CD changer not for OEM trunk mounted CD
changer. I already asked tech support and they said that OEM trunk mounted CD
changer must be disconnected to connect this adapter.
However, if you want to keep your OEM trunk mounted CD changer and hook your
IPOD up at the same time, get P.I.E X3 with HON98 harness like I did.
I have '99 TL with navi with OEM trunk mounted CD changer and this
unit works like a charm. You plug the cable from this unit to back of h/u, and plug the CD changer cable to X3 brain.
This unit gives you three extra RCA audio inputs, so I am using one input for IPOD. Maybe other input for dom's unit.
Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 AM
Instructor

There is an adapter that allows you to charge the IPOD and gives you RCA audio outputs.
Old 12-01-2006, 12:25 PM
Advanced

Gentlemen, I am definitely interested in one of these as I'm currently using the tape player interface which is quite shitty. My question is this- I have an Iriver H340, not an IPOD, and it looks like the connectors are only IPOD- is there one made that connects to the factory deck and just has a line out/headphone input on the end?
Old 12-01-2006, 12:41 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts
Well, I've got the Blitzsafe right now and after seeing the adapter on the Haines site, I might give that a shot. I can move the blitzsafe over to my girls car and try out the other axxes(?) adapter from the haines site on my car. I was wondering if anyone else had any experience with it. I'd rather not shell out the $80 if someone already used it and it doesn't work well. I saw the post about the person that had but then it stopped working...let me know if you are able to fix it. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-01-2006, 03:44 PM
SOLD: 03 SSM CLS Auto

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
^^^

I'd like to know if it was fixed aswell. I've got the Blitzsafe adapter on my CL, and it works great, but I'd really like to have the option to change the track number with my steering wheel control. I think I have actually seen those Axxess adapters sold at Circuit City where I'm at, maybe I'll try one out and see if it'll work, if not, I can always return it.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:33 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by gaping46and2
^^^

I'd like to know if it was fixed aswell. I've got the Blitzsafe adapter on my CL, and it works great, but I'd really like to have the option to change the track number with my steering wheel control. I think I have actually seen those Axxess adapters sold at Circuit City where I'm at, maybe I'll try one out and see if it'll work, if not, I can always return it.
I'll have to check out Circuit City too. If they have them then I will definitely give it a shot.
Old 12-02-2006, 12:44 PM
Sippy Cup (x2)

I checked at circuitcity.com and didn't find anything but from what I've read it seems that when you use this adapter, you will lose some functions from the IPOD. That doesn't bother me as long as the name of the song still shows up on the IPOD because I doubt the whole thing would be displayed on the screen of the radio.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:43 PM

I know the radio will never show any information from the ipod itself. I've got nothing to do later today, so I'll swing by Circuit City and see if they've got them.
Old 12-02-2006, 09:04 PM
Advanced

So for a 2000 TL w/o in dash CD changer os in trunck CD changer I will just need the Blitzsafe - HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1 to have the ipod connection only.

For a 2000 TL with trunk CD Changer I will need Blitzsafe - HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1/P.I.E. - HON98/PC-POD. Is this correct. Thanks
Old 12-03-2006, 01:06 AM

Well, Circuit City didn't have any...I know I've seen them there before, but no luck today, though I did find one online for what seems to be a pretty good price if it works. http://electronics-pluz.com/meaxwi98acho.html
Old 12-03-2006, 02:01 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by xxnonamexx
So for a 2000 TL w/o in dash CD changer os in trunck CD changer I will just need the Blitzsafe - HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1 to have the ipod connection only.

For a 2000 TL with trunk CD Changer I will need Blitzsafe - HON/M-Link1 DMX V.1/P.I.E. - HON98/PC-POD. Is this correct. Thanks
For a 2000 TL with trunk CD Changer, you need P.I.E X3 with PIE HON98 harness and P.I.E. UNi-POD or Blitzsafe UII Universal iPOD.

I went with P.I.E UNi-POD combo and I love the result. The sound is so amazing,
I can control the RCA output volume on the adapter so it is crystal clear.
Old 12-03-2006, 08:28 PM
10th Gear

I'm thinking of going with the Dension DICE adapter. It seems like a winner- lets your control the iPod from the click wheel or the dash/steering wheel controls. Anyone have any experience with it?
Old 12-04-2006, 01:55 AM
Cruisin'

my buddy got the dension ICE adapter for his M3 and absolutely loves it since it gives him full control from his steering wheel and also gives him song info scrolling on his radio. great product but usually price is a little high
Old 12-04-2006, 06:09 AM
Advanced

sojue do you have any photos of where you installed the PIE etc? Thanks
Old 12-04-2006, 09:30 AM
Instructor

just ordered a blitzsafe from enfig for my 02 tls.

i'll let you know how it goes.
Old 12-04-2006, 02:06 PM
Instructor

-noname-
I will have to wait for this weekend to post picture because I am not at home right now.
Old 12-05-2006, 09:46 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fog80
just ordered a blitzsafe from enfig for my 02 tls.

i'll let you know how it goes.
just got my blitzsafe in the mail (enfig was quick with the shipping and the price was reasonable).

Im just not sure if i can install it this weekend with the freezing temps and all.
Old 12-06-2006, 03:43 PM
4th Gear

I installed my Blitzsafe yesterday evening. After taking apart part of the dash I attempted to install it via the shortcut method of just trying to plug it in by squeezing it through the passenger side by the radio, but my hands weren't small enough and I didn't have the patience.

So I wound up taking the whole dash apart, which includes removing like 20 screws. After pluging it in to the rear of the radio I ran the cord under the center center cupholders by drilling a hole below where the cupholders sit. So there is no hole in the cupholder, but in the space below them. The cord then goes to the large center storage unit and then is fished up through the space between the storage unit and the cupholders. The iPod sits in the cupholder and the extra cord for the iPod rests in the large center storage unit.

It looks really clean. I recommend it to everyone who is tired of messing around with CDs. The whole process took 2 hours.
Old 12-07-2006, 11:13 AM
Advanced

Guys, I have a 99 TL-P with Navi, and also have an Iriver, not an IPOD.

Will the Blitzsafe work for me, ie does it add RCA's with a line out or is the connection IPOD specific? I would really like to get off the tape interface.
Old 12-07-2006, 12:48 PM
Advanced

Is the the right model...if so its only $51.98:
http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=793
Old 12-07-2006, 02:20 PM
Advanced

Guys, it looks like this BLITZSAFE HON M-LINK DMX V.1 will work perfectly other than the IPOD specific connection- is there a way to turn that connection into a simple line out/headphone jack connection so it will connect to my IRiver?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:12 PM
4th Gear

Here is the adapter I used for my 03 TL: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=799

It's plug and play, so no soldering or splicing.
Old 12-08-2006, 08:37 AM
Sippy Cup (x2)

Originally Posted by golf299
Here is the adapter I used for my 03 TL: http://www.discountcarstereo.com/detail.aspx?ID=799

It's plug and play, so no soldering or splicing.
Yeah, that is the blitzsafe adapter everyone talks about. Same thing I have and It works pretty good. It would be nice to have steering wheel control and not lose the controls from the IPOD itself, but it's not a big deal.
Old 12-09-2006, 11:34 AM
Instructor

PIE X3 with PIE UNII IPOD ADAPTER

Hi, finally loading pictures of my set up. I have '99 TL w/ navi and trunk mounted
OEM CD changer.
I was searching to set up my ipod and still using my changer and I found this.
This is for the car with OEM CD changer or XM radio.
Here are some pictures:

This is my X3 brain unit. First RCA is for my IPOD. This is connected to my radio and the CD changer is connected to this brain.

My Ipod with the wired remote control. As you can see, I don't have the mount
for my Ipod but I don't think I need it.

This is the wired remote control for X3 brain. I can switch between CD, AUX1,
AUX2, AUX3. CD is for CD changer or in-dash single player and AUX 1 for IPOD and will have more device connected to AUX2 and AUX3.

I don't have any problem so far, and the sound quality is amazing.

The navi still works !!
Old 12-09-2006, 04:52 PM
Advanced

Nice job where exactly is that brain mounted to? Did you take out the entire dash? Also how hard was it to mount the remote to change the brain?
Old 12-10-2006, 01:45 AM
Instructor

- The brain is mounted under the glove box far behind.

- No, I didn't take out the entire dash. I could reach behind the radio after I took out the knee panel.

- Mounting the remote was very easy. There is a hole behind that remote and I just put the wire through that hole. No need to drill.
Old 12-10-2006, 09:46 AM
Advanced

sojue- When you say under the glove box do you mean above where your feet rest? can you open the glove bov without it interfering? How did you mount it? Is there brackets that you just screwed into the glovebox? Sorry for all of the questions. I want to get this for my brother for Xmas just making sure its doable Thanks
Old 12-10-2006, 09:59 AM
Advanced

Sojue- I ordered the same for my brothers car for Xmas since he has so many wires to charge it and the tape adapter so this will eliminate both. Thanks
Old 12-11-2006, 03:23 PM
Instructor

yes. It sits on the black thing where your feet rest.
There is no brackets, but there is something( I forgot what it is called) that comes with the unit.
You can use that to put on.
Old 12-20-2006, 11:40 AM
Advanced

Gentlemen, Thanks for all the information, I just installed my blitzsafe in about 10 minutes away from my desk at work! Super easy, just removed the trim, a few screws on the knee plate, then wedged my fingers to get it in the back of the deck. It sounds great compared to my crappy tape deck sound I was running it through.
Old 12-21-2006, 01:50 PM
B A N N E D

where can i order one from?

100th post woot!
Old 12-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by VeEzy
where can i order one from?

100th post woot!
order which one?
You can go to www.config.com and find whatever you need.
Old 12-21-2006, 09:08 PM
00 TL Laguna Green

sojue,

I think you meant www.enfig.com

btw- I just ordered a Soundgate AUXMSTHD1V3 adapter (dual RCA inputs- 1 for Sirius, 1 for mp3 player) for my '00 TL from beachaudio.com. They were about $15-20 cheaper than other sites.

czar

Quick Reply: Blitzsafe for IPOD