Blackfire dissapointment?

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2001, 09:41 PM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Blackfire dissapointment?

[copy of my post at Autopia... FYI]

Well, I had hoped that the winter dirt/sand/salt would just fall off my Blackfired car! Alas, that is not the case. And that slick feeling finish is no more

I could not stand the filth so I ran through touchless car wash, and the crud just does not come off clean. Meguir's Final Inspection (quick detailer) did not seem to work very well with the Blackfire, but that might just be a temperature issue (below freezing here).

The Blackfire quick detailer did seem to work better, and I thought restored the slick finish... but then ran in the slop again and the slop seemed to BOND to the surface.

I have no experience with Zaino or Klasse in the winter slop so I cannot make a comparison, but I can state a deep sense of dissapointment. I suspect Zaino or Klasse would not fare any better in this environment, but if it warms up enough I will probably try Zaino again.
Old 12-01-2001, 10:16 PM
No, you are a dork.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just as expected. Zaino will fair much better. I suggest you not wait around to use it.
Old 12-02-2001, 03:25 AM
Racer

try using claybar. It'll probably do the trick.
Old 12-02-2001, 12:42 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Blackfire dissapointment?

Originally posted by jps
[copy of my post at Autopia... FYI]

Well, I had hoped that the winter dirt/sand/salt would just fall off my Blackfired car! Alas, that is not the case. And that slick feeling finish is no more

I could not stand the filth so I ran through touchless car wash, and the crud just does not come off clean. Meguir's Final Inspection (quick detailer) did not seem to work very well with the Blackfire, but that might just be a temperature issue (below freezing here).

The Blackfire quick detailer did seem to work better, and I thought restored the slick finish... but then ran in the slop again and the slop seemed to BOND to the surface.

I have no experience with Zaino or Klasse in the winter slop so I cannot make a comparison, but I can state a deep sense of dissapointment. I suspect Zaino or Klasse would not fare any better in this environment, but if it warms up enough I will probably try Zaino again.
Hmm...I haven't had this problem. Are you they guy who put Blackfire on top of Zaino? If so that might be the problem...
Old 12-02-2001, 02:20 PM
jps
Racer

bioyuki, yep! That would be me...

I think more likely the problem is Minnesota winter, and nothing can stay looking perfect in this environment.

Today it is above freezing, so I hand washed and it came out looking better (but still a little dull). Then I used the BlackFire quick detailer, and it still looked a little dull.

So, a new coat of the all-finish paint protection and YA BABY! Its looking good again.

I still love the Blackfire, I just wish for magic teflon coating.

[edit - the main moderator at autopia suggested that the problem is the commercial car wash. His testing shows DAWN or other harse detergents strip Zaino, Blackfire, Klasse, or any other protectant. FYI]
Old 12-04-2001, 05:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Knock it off guys!!!!! editing is a pain in my butt when it involves that many posts, and I dont appreciate all the extra work.
Old 12-04-2001, 05:53 PM
Instructor

Bioyuki....since you have tried both Blackfire and Zaino, take a moment away from the bickering and let me know your reviews. Last week I placed an order for Zaino.....price alone turned me off on Blackfire. So unless Blackfire is a minimum of 5 times better, it's not worth it.

Btw, except for that rear spoiler.....I like the car you have in your sig. I see it says Skyline....who makes it.....what's the sticker on it?
Old 12-04-2001, 06:02 PM
Instructor

Change of opinion here.....seeing a picture of this Nissan from the rear and a $90,000 price tag.....doesn't look all that appealing anymore
Old 12-04-2001, 09:30 PM
jps
Racer

FKNA - I've tried both Zaino and Blackfire, and I'd say there are trade-off's.

For appearance I like the Blackfire, because of the deeper color and less reflective shine.

For durability and upkeep, if asked right now I'd give the edge to Zaino.

Ya gotta take this opinion for what its worth, since I never tried to upkeep Zaino in the snow/sand/muck. I also never tried to quick detail Zaino when the car was this cold and relative humidity this high.

The Blackfire QD seems to haze, and the (paint protection) surface seems to lose its slickness rather quickly. On the other hand, its almost as easy to apply another coat of the paint protection as QD, and that comes out looking beautiful.
Old 12-04-2001, 09:57 PM
Banned

Originally posted by FKNA
Bioyuki....since you have tried both Blackfire and Zaino, take a moment away from the bickering and let me know your reviews. Last week I placed an order for Zaino.....price alone turned me off on Blackfire. So unless Blackfire is a minimum of 5 times better, it's not worth it.

Btw, except for that rear spoiler.....I like the car you have in your sig. I see it says Skyline....who makes it.....what's the sticker on it?
How did the price turn you off? The Blackfire New Car Kit from www.properautocare.com costs 50 bucks. Included is Car Wash, Polish, Paint Protection, Sonus Gel Wheel Cleanser, two cotton wipe towels and two applicators (all bottles are 16oz). Except for the Quick Detailer (optional and another 15 bucks) everything is included in this package.

Zaino on the other hand requires Z-1, Z-2, Z-5, Z-7 and Z-6 is optional. Also, all these bottles are only 8oz (not including Z-7 and Z-6). If you don't want to wait between coats you have to add another 20 bucks for ZFX. To match the Blackfire package, you'd have to spend at least 70 bucks and that is for mostly 8oz bottles also. Blackfire cures instantly, no additaves needed. You can debate the merits of either polish to death but when it comes down to price Blackfire has the advantage.

Oh by the way, its an R34 Nissan Skyline. It costs 40-50k in Japan. Motorex went through the trouble of crashtesting/EPA emmisions etc so in order to make a profit they sell for 90k. The round tailights are a Skyline hallmark and I like them . I agree with you though, I wouldn't pay 90k for it. I would pay 50k for it though .
Old 12-04-2001, 10:03 PM
Banned

FKNA, I've also tried both Zaino (only Z-1, Z-2 and Z-5, no Z-6) and Blackfire (no Quick Detail yet).

I have to agree with jps on the deeper color and less of an artificial shine. It looks more like a natural wax. I'm testing the durability right now. I put on one base coat of Polish and two coats of All Finish Paint Protection the day before Thanksgiving. I'm only going to wash and not add any coats until the current polish detoriates. We'll see how long it lasts . With the mild winter I get in SoCal I'm hoping that it will last a whlie.

Blackfire applies and hazes immediately...sometimes it hazes almost too quickly though. Some people have had problems buffing it off. I haven't yet, the only problem I've encountered is when 'stray' water from in between seams, door handles etc dampens the cloth I use for buffing.
Old 12-05-2001, 09:46 AM
Instructor

As far as the cost goes on the Blackfire, I must of visited the wrong web site. I did a quick search on Blackfire and when I found a place that sells it, the starter package was $200 (hence the reason I said price turned me off).

Thanks for all the input. I ordered the Zaino product last week, so we shall see how that one works out for me.