Big problem w/Service on TL-S

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2002, 10:35 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
congrats, joe, now that's some good service. it takes long but at least it's fixed. kick santa monica....
Old 09-26-2002, 12:27 AM
Instructor

Smile

It's not fixed yet, they just got it today. But, my hope factor is way up!
Joe in LA
Old 09-26-2002, 11:48 AM
2005 Carbon Grey RL

I had a navi problem with my 02 tls where sometimes the entire screen sometimes didn't come on at all. Pasadena Acura changed the display without any resistance. As for accuracy, I do notice that there are times it gets you into the right area but will have the target on the wrong side of the street or slightly off on the target. It seems to occur in hilly areas. One thing that is apparent to me is not all dealers are customer oriented! Good luck.
Old 09-26-2002, 11:58 AM
Burning Brakes

for those of u in LA, i have a "clunking" sound comming from my rear, i took it in to sierra acura in alhambra, and they told me that it was caused by my suspension hitting against some part of the exhaust system (catalytic converter or sumfing), and they said cuz i had aftermarket springs, that they would not fix it. does anyone have suggestions as to which dealer around so cal to go to that might fix the prob for me? (oh yah, n i need sunroof rattle fixed too)
Old 10-02-2002, 09:06 PM
Instructor

Question

It's a week now that my car is in the dealers hands. I got a call one day after I left it with an enthusiastic "we think we got it" as they were driving around and the Navi was performing as it should. They offered to keep it over the weekend to just make sure. That's the last I heard and I don't want to call them, so they don't think I'm "pressuring" them. I want this fixed permenantly, I know it performs OK sometimes. It's the majority of the time that it doesn't. My guess is that on further testing it f_cked up and they took it to corporate??
BTW I was repromanded (politely) for following the directions in the manual on how to relocate my car in the adjustment screen. This goes against what SM Acura said when they kept telling me to RTFM! If he's really concerned, do what SM Acura did. Reboot the car (disconnect the battery for a few hours) and it all resets to factory. Now have fun! It was REALLY whacky after they did that to it! :wow:
I'll keep you informed. BTW a Volvo S40 is no real substitute for a TL-S but at least it's tranny holds together!

Joe in LA
Old 10-02-2002, 11:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

of course, i got the s40 for a week when my car was in the shop.... pain in the ass
Old 10-03-2002, 11:54 PM
Cruisin'

I use the navi in my 2002 TL-S all the time. I believe that there is a way to "re-calibrate" the location that you are at. It is in the Nav System Manual, page 62. You must not be moving at the time when you do it. I have not personally done it, but have noticed the accuracy has gone off lately (I have been using it over a year now), so I will be doing it soon. It should solve the map error problem, maybe even the "tilt" problem if you notice it only when in the "Non-north" mode (ie oreintated so you car is always going straight ahead.

Hope this helps
Old 10-04-2002, 01:01 AM
Instructor

Exclamation

Looks like I'm getting the car back tomorrow. I had a message from Rick but his cell phone garbled. He said something like they'll be returning my car to Van Nuys tommorow and that they replaced something that had a defective part. Couldn't decipher all the details, and he left two messages (at home and my cell). I'll find out all the details in the AM.

As for using the adjuster, may not be a good idea, I did and I was standing still, and it never helped. But then again I guess I had a defective part!

Full report, hopefully the last one, tomorrow.

Joe in LA
Old 10-04-2002, 01:47 PM
Cruisin'

I use the navi in my 2002 TL-S all the time. I believe that there is a way to "re-calibrate" the location that you are at. (It is in the Nav System Manual, page 62. You must not be moving at the time when you do it. I have not personally done it, but have noticed the accuracy has gone off lately (I have been using it over a year now), so I will be doing it soon. It should solve the map error problem, maybe even the "tilt" problem if you notice it only when in the "Non-north" mode (ie oreintated so you car is always going straight ahead.

Hope this helps
Old 10-05-2002, 01:20 AM
Instructor

Originally posted by ps4u
I use the navi in my 2002 TL-S all the time. I believe that there is a way to "re-calibrate" the location that you are at. (It is in the Nav System Manual, page 62. You must not be moving at the time when you do it. I have not personally done it, but have noticed the accuracy has gone off lately (I have been using it over a year now), so I will be doing it soon. It should solve the map error problem, maybe even the "tilt" problem if you notice it only when in the "Non-north" mode (ie oreintated so you car is always going straight ahead.

Hope this helps
OK, I guess I didn't get it the first time?

Well I will pick up the car on Saturday. It arrived at Van Nuys too late for me to fight Friday rush hour traffic and get to Enterprise Rental in time to return the Volvo.
The service mgr. told me the car was trucked to Torrance, Acura HQ and given to the division that is responsible for the Navigation sub-system. They found that the part Santa Monica had replaced was also defective and replaced it with a brand new one. (The DVD Control unit from the trunk)
After I pick up the car I get to drive to Ontario, CA so I'll be able to give the Navi a full work out. Having been given the blessing of the main Navi team, I bet it's a honey now! We'll see!!
Joe in LA
Old 10-05-2002, 08:16 PM
Instructor

Talking

I got the car back today and took it on a long ride. It seems much better. I'm hoping this is for real this time!! The car was shipped to Acura HQ in Torrance. They replaced the controlling unit again, and that seems to have fixed the problems! Van Nuys painted my bumper per Rick's request and it looks like new again! I hope this is now the end of this long story!

Joe in LA