a better navigation on an accord??

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2002, 01:00 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry a better navigation on an accord??

OK so i'm jealous... why does the new accord get a voice-activated navi w/ all the gadgets but not our TL??? =*(

From Edmunds.com (http://www.edmunds.com/reviews/roadt...3/article.html)

Available only on the EX models is the simplest voice-activated
navigation system we've had the joy of using. Our single quibble is that the display washes out in bright overhead sunlight, even with the sunroof closed, because of the angle at which it is canted. Brilliant and easy to use, but featuring complex functions, the system can be operated by voice, touchscreen or joystick. Additionally, its numerous features and functions can be personalized. For example, the driver (or passenger) can choose keyboard-style or alphabetical letter entry for the touchscreen, choose a male or female voice, use the calculator with conversions to metric, or enter messages and appointments into the calendar. A comprehensive trip computer is also included. This navigation system is a nice piece of work, even if it could not find local Thai food with the voice commands.
Old 09-13-2002, 01:30 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Lightbulb Re: a better navigation on an accord??

Originally posted by ucla107
OK so i'm jealous... why does the new accord get a voice-activated navi w/ all the gadgets but not our TL??? =*(

It's called progress.. nothing you can do about it.

Anyway... you should be HAPPY about this. Obviously the Accord is kind of the guinnea pig for Acura... so with this "awesome" Navigation being released for the Accord... think about what will be released on the redesigned TL (slated for a 2004 model late next year).......
Old 09-13-2002, 01:46 PM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Indeed, imagine what the '04 TL gets. But I personally think it's not fair. I feel jipped now. Only a few measly months away, they dump EVERYTHING they can POSSIBLY think into the new Accord. Me and my friend actually saw it on the lot at a Honda dealer yesterday, we stopped in to check it out. one word = AWESOME.

I can tell ya, the Accord is going to boost sales like crazy, it's gonna smoke the competition, it will also out sell the RL/TL/CL. It's just not worth buying a TL right now, unless you really really like the looks and a Acura badge.

I have the brochure, and I was reading it last time..*sigh* 8 CUP HOLDERS. :wow: Dual front airbags, side airbags, and new head curtain airbags. Optional MP3 player, DVD In Vehicle Entertainment System, Optional Front lip spoiler, heated seats, Dual climate control system, the gauges are incredible! When you unlock your car, and get inside, the gauges will come up very dim, once you stick the key in it, it will start getting brighter, and once you start the engine, BAM! BRIGHT! O_O I like how the door handle opens also. Feels good.

K, enough blabbin
Old 09-13-2002, 02:01 PM
Racer

yeah.. i saw it at the dealer too.. that LED dash is THE BOMB!!!! i loooooved how it glows once u open the doors.. and yeah.. DUAL ZONE CLIMATE CONTROL??? we don't even get it on the TL =**( *sigh* too bad the accord doesnt have the sequential sport-shirt otherwise i'd trade in my TL even if i loose 20hp... or maybe not LOL
Old 09-13-2002, 09:38 PM
Racer

Just imagine what the next TL will have
Old 09-13-2002, 11:18 PM
Racer

The Accord does have a nicer Navi. But it isn't the best that it can be. Take a look at what the Japanese Honda customers get. This is what they are calling the 2'nd generation Navi. It will have a good deal more to offer. I hope this makes it to the '04 TL. Then the new TL will be better than the Accord Navi. It is called InterNavi. I suppose it stands for Internet-Navi. Traffic reports, News, email and best of all 3 YEARS FREE DVD UPGRADES!!!

Read this:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...navigation_dc_1

Take a look at this link I found on the Japanese Honda site. It shows the 3D look that a lot of us have been wanting. (scroll down to bottom look at picture in this link)
http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/aut...0020829/05.html
Old 09-14-2002, 01:11 AM
¤ Club Inspire ¤

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by galfert
The Accord does have a nicer Navi. But it isn't the best that it can be. Take a look at what the Japanese Honda customers get. This is what they are calling the 2'nd generation Navi. It will have a good deal more to offer. I hope this makes it to the '04 TL. Then the new TL will be better than the Accord Navi. It is called InterNavi. I suppose it stands for Internet-Navi. Traffic reports, News, email and best of all 3 YEARS FREE DVD UPGRADES!!!

Read this:
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tm...navigation_dc_1

Take a look at this link I found on the Japanese Honda site. It shows the 3D look that a lot of us have been wanting. (scroll down to bottom look at picture in this link)
http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/aut...0020829/05.html
First link doesn't link to any type of article, but instead the front page.

and the Honda link is not found.
Old 09-14-2002, 04:59 PM
Burning Brakes

why does the accord have all these things and the tl doesn't? because the tl is old and the accord is new. :p
don't worry, the next tl will probably have all of these features as well
Old 09-14-2002, 10:26 PM
Racer

Okay here is an update to the first link that aparently was changed.

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...avigation_dc_1

Here is the article just in case they move it again:

Honda Unveils New Voice-Operated Navigation System
Thu Aug 29, 2:12 AM ET

TOKYO (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co unveiled on Thursday a new voice-operated car navigation system to be offered on its Accord sedan this autumn, but it lacked the bells and whistles of Toyota Motor Corp's rival system.

Japan's second-largest automaker said its new navigation system, called InterNavi Premium Club, offers regularly updated traffic reports, news, maintenance and other information as well as the ability to e-mail.

It will be available as an option and updates of the DVD map software will be free for three years.

Honda said it envisaged that by 2004, the on-board navigation system would be factory-installed on 30 percent of all models sold domestically, excluding cheaper 660cc minivehicles.

The InterNavi, however, contrasted sharply with Toyota's G-Book car Internet network unveiled a day earlier, which provides a wide range of interactive ( news - external web site) services from downloading music and karaoke to playing games and customized news reports.

Toyota will also offer its navigation system on a new model to be released in autumn. Drivers will then able to choose if they want to subscribe to various interactive services.

Japan's largest automaker has not yet disclosed the price of its new services.

It said, however, that half of Toyota passenger car owners have some kind of navigation system and it hopes around 30 to 40 percent will eventually become subscribers of G-Book.

The G-Book uses a data communication module, allowing Toyota to charge a flat fee while Honda's system requires the use of a cell phone, with customers paying for transmission time.

But Honda argued that it has worked to drastically cut the amount of time needed to download information and that the lack of a special connection device saves costs.

Despite its technical advancements and greater range of features, Toyota may have a tough time convincing Japanese consumers they need the network since many of the services are already available on cell phones.

Both automakers have said they see in-vehicle navigation and Internet services as part and parcel of future models and have declined to comment on the profitability of their systems.
Old 09-14-2002, 10:34 PM
Racer

As for the picture of the 3D Navi map...Try one of these.

http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto...020829/05.html

http://www.honda.co.jp/factbook/auto.../img/05_02.jpg
Old 09-15-2002, 01:30 AM
Instructor

What ever you get in Accord, it'll be in TL.

Accord style is still kinda ugly in pictures. Hopefully TL will be better.

The GPS is designed by IBM. I think it'll be in TL as well. Why translate the Japanese version for American use when a perfectly good one is already here.

The 8 cupholders in the new Accord includes the usual 2 in front and 2 in back and a bottle holder in each door.
Old 09-15-2002, 01:38 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Kramer
Just imagine what the next TL will have
It doesnt matter what the next TL will have cuz i wont have it