Best mod yet

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2004, 08:30 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigman
The throttle body doesnt require new bolts, it is the same exact piece, just with a larger diameter. And yes with i/h/e/p i was able to pull on 3 S'. As for the change in the manifold, u will need a new manifold gasket and valve cover gaskets. The Engine cover may not fit, i know on my 99 it will not fit. Also, i am going to change the timing belt while doing all this.

keep us updated!

btw, im trynna hit the 300hp mark, do you think i'll make it with Type S cams + Throttle Body + V-AFC ? i could also get a new manifold but they are kinda expensive..

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-10-2004, 09:06 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dud, this sounds VERY VERY and allow me to stress again VERY! good mod for the cost. i'm very interested...YO Big, did you come up with this idea on your own? thats very impressive.

Meanwhile, ill chill while you guys put out ideas and suggestions and ill just come by in time to time and steal them. peace.
Old 06-10-2004, 11:18 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
i cant find a throttle body. ive searched all afternoon! any one know where to buy one?
i found the 3.5(mdx) intake manifold for 110.00$ i need cams and a throttle body now
Old 06-11-2004, 01:46 AM
i

Originally Posted by @cUr@-TL
i'd get a Type-S throttle body... cuz if u go that ^^ way you have to send yours to them and they bore it and send it back to you.. but your car is gonna be stuck in ur driveway fora lil' while!

@cUr@-TL

this is true, i didnt realize that
Old 06-11-2004, 06:56 PM
@ slide or die @

Yo big, did you install the intake manifold already? I found that and the TB, they're on hold and i have to know if it fits so i can pick em up!

Our TL-p's intake manifolds are one of the big restrictions we have compared the TL-S duds.

Can anyone explain to me what are cams and where they are?

I am thunderstrucked with your pioneering ideas!!! YOU DA BIG MAN BRO!
Old 06-11-2004, 07:20 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by etxxz
Yo big, did you install the intake manifold already? I found that and the TB, they're on hold and i have to know if it fits so i can pick em up!

Our TL-p's intake manifolds are one of the big restrictions we have compared the TL-S duds.

Can anyone explain to me what are cams and where they are?

I am thunderstrucked with your pioneering ideas!!! YOU DA BIG MAN BRO!
cams are what move and control the valves kinda like what this looks like. they sit under the valve cover on our cars. they arent something a novic DIYer can change. if not done properly you can ruin a engine
Old 06-11-2004, 07:32 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The type s manifold works and fits, you just have to get new manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets. I cant say that this is my idea, acura came up with it first for the type s. The only thing is the Type s is a dual stage manifold, so in order to take full advantage of the manifold design you have to hook the imrc valve to open with an rpm switch. Since our fuel cut off is lower than an S dyno tuning the imrc open and closing of the second stage runner may be required. My goal is to build the intake side of my motor with type s parts and then go full 3.5 bottom end for a nice hybrid design. the vafc will manage fuel/air ratio although i may need a fuel pressure regulator, or larger injectors or larger fuel pump. I may need all of the above. I want to take everything one step at a time. I am also going for 300 Crank horses all motor. At that point i will have the tranny built. And last add a 75 shot. This will by no means be done soon, but i will take you guys through it along the way, so that you have the dos and donts.
Old 06-11-2004, 08:39 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

I am also going for 300 Crank horses all motor. At that point i will have the tranny built.

how much do you think the tranny can hold? what would i have to replace if i was to go over the capabilities of the stock tranny?

@cUr@-TL
Old 06-11-2004, 08:53 PM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

I honestly think that the tranny can hold the power if it was built to last. But whether you have a P or an S this is a glass tranny that can go under any conditions.
Old 06-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Senior Moderator

how much do you think the tranny can hold? what would i have to replace if i was to go over the capabilities of the stock tranny?

@cUr@-TL
the stock tranny is strong i bet it would hold over 300 crankhp, its just the 1 faulty part that is the weak link,
but like bigman said .....whether you have a P or an S this is a glass tranny that can go under any conditions.
Old 06-12-2004, 12:07 AM
@ slide or die @

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
cams are what move and control the valves kinda like what this looks like. they sit under the valve cover on our cars. they arent something a novic DIYer can change. if not done properly you can ruin a engine
o i see...how about completing the sequence and use the CL-S camshaft?

also, im not a "novic DYIer", my headers and intake can vouch for it...i'd have more mods, i just dont have the money.

The intake manifold change sounds like too much modding, its better left alone and you'll save a lotta money and time...unless you really wanna be all hardcore like this Bigbird dud
Old 06-12-2004, 02:38 AM
Senior Moderator

o i see...how about completing the sequence and use the CL-S camshaft?

also, im not a "novic DYIer", my headers and intake can vouch for it...i'd have more mods, i just dont have the money.

The intake manifold change sounds like too much modding, its better left alone and you'll save a lotta money and time...unless you really wanna be all hardcore like this Bigbird dud
the cl-s/tl-s cams are the same. thats what bigman is talking about adding. as far as being a novice, putting on headers and intake doesnt really qualify on being able to do this mod. unles you know what TDC and how to align it and getting the cam timing+- right i wouldnt touch it (baisicly unless you know how to rebuild a engine dont do it on your own) its not easy and its easy to mess up
Old 06-12-2004, 05:45 AM
Three Wheelin'

realized the fuel issue huh?!

The type s manifold works and fits, you just have to get new manifold gaskets and valve cover gaskets. I cant say that this is my idea, acura came up with it first for the type s. The only thing is the Type s is a dual stage manifold, so in order to take full advantage of the manifold design you have to hook the imrc valve to open with an rpm switch. Since our fuel cut off is lower than an S dyno tuning the imrc open and closing of the second stage runner may be required. My goal is to build the intake side of my motor with type s parts and then go full 3.5 bottom end for a nice hybrid design. the vafc will manage fuel/air ratio although i may need a fuel pressure regulator, or larger injectors or larger fuel pump. I may need all of the above. I want to take everything one step at a time. I am also going for 300 Crank horses all motor. At that point i will have the tranny built. And last add a 75 shot. This will by no means be done soon, but i will take you guys through it along the way, so that you have the dos and donts.
rc engineering does not make an application for the 99 per injectors! maybe they will do a custom job for you you will need a larger pump, esp w/ the N20!
Old 06-12-2004, 11:36 AM
@ slide or die @

the cl-s/tl-s cams are the same. thats what bigman is talking about adding. as far as being a novice, putting on headers and intake doesnt really qualify on being able to do this mod. unles you know what TDC and how to align it and getting the cam timing+- right i wouldnt touch it (baisicly unless you know how to rebuild a engine dont do it on your own) its not easy and its easy to mess up
Old 06-18-2004, 10:51 AM
@ slide or die @

heh apparently the TB i was going to pick up was for a reg CL..anyways i called the Acura dealership and they do have it...bah, its just 344.88!!! just a peace of advice...anyone with a CL-S i recommend you hide it for the weekend you dont know if theres a crazy kid that needs your throttle body.

anyone know another place to get this TB?
Old 06-18-2004, 11:07 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts

Yeah....junkyard. Do not pay stealer prices.
Old 06-18-2004, 01:09 PM
dj5
Burning Brakes

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts
i'd get a Type-S throttle body... cuz if u go that ^^ way you have to send yours to them and they bore it and send it back to you.. but your car is gonna be stuck in ur driveway fora lil' while!

@cUr@-TL

I sent in my TYPE-S throttle body to King Motorsports about 6 months ago to have it bored out. Down time was about a week, but we were out of town on vacation so it didn't matter.

Cheap mod but no noticable difference in the car's performance.
Old 06-18-2004, 10:45 PM
@ slide or die @

i dun know about the cheap part of getting an extra 16mm for $150.
NSX, i've checked with a bunch of junkyards in south FL and there are no wrecked CL-Ss...aparently people who have them treat them good. is it possible to get it from an out of state junkyard?
Old 06-19-2004, 11:52 AM
Instructor

This dealer website seams to offer a ~20% discount off parts.
http://www.acuraautomotiveparts.org/...prddisplay.jsp

heh apparently the TB i was going to pick up was for a reg CL..anyways i called the Acura dealership and they do have it...bah, its just 344.88!!! just a peace of advice...anyone with a CL-S i recommend you hide it for the weekend you dont know if theres a crazy kid that needs your throttle body.

Old 06-19-2004, 02:31 PM
@ slide or die @

yeah i like the discount, but, i since it gives you a list of the parts you need to buy to assemble the throttle body, i wouldnt know whichones to buy...and if i buy all of those in the TB typeS list, it will come out way over $500...ill see if i contact an out of state junkyard or find me a CL-S...
BIGman exactly which junkyard did you find yours? maibe they have others.
Old 06-22-2004, 11:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

i cant find a throttle body. ive searched all afternoon! any one know where to buy one?
i found the 3.5(mdx) intake manifold for 110.00$ i need cams and a throttle body now
fsttyms...did you get a hold of a type-s throttle body yet?...
Old 06-22-2004, 01:34 PM
Racer

I have someone tracking down a TB for me. What year TB should I be looking for? Does it matter? And what exactly does a larger diameter TB do anyway? Is there any problems with any of the sensors?

Thanks.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:07 PM
Senior Moderator

Originally Posted by Joseph_99TL
fsttyms...did you get a hold of a type-s throttle body yet?...
no
Old 06-23-2004, 07:48 AM
Racer

Originally Posted by Elementz
I have someone tracking down a TB for me. What year TB should I be looking for? Does it matter? And what exactly does a larger diameter TB do anyway? Is there any problems with any of the sensors?

Thanks.

Anyone?
Old 07-15-2004, 05:45 PM
Three Wheelin'

yo k man whats up, westchester is hot and bothered these days. I wont have to worry about air fuel ratio because of the dyno tuning with the apexi vafc. Also the stock injectors and fuel pump should be up to the task considering, the guy i am working with has done this to 2 accords so far. I have spoken to both owners and both said after the vafc was added and tuned, the car ran great with no fuel problems. I still have the type s manifold and may hook up the imrc valve to an rpm switch and dyno tuning it. My guy is doing some research and planning everything out for me. Good to hear from u though.
Bigman:

Do you know for a fact that the MDX intake manifold is a direct bolt-on for our TL-P? Also if a MDX intake manifold is installed, is it necessary to add an apexi vafc? Or can it run good without? Is a fuel pressure regulator required? Let me know. Thx
Old 07-21-2004, 04:08 PM
Instructor

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Bigman, does both TL-S and CL-S intake manifolds have dual-stage intake runners? and what about the mdx manifolds, do they have dual-stage intake runners too? Back to the concern with the RPM switch, etc. is it still needed with either of these 3 intake manifolds

2) I have a TL-P, and didn't know if I will lose TCS if i change out the TB or intake manifold with a Type S TB and intake manifold.

BTW, did you get your cams in yet? Thanks again bro...
Old 08-10-2004, 10:15 AM
'Big Daddy Diggler'

sorry i havent been on the forums. The TL-s and cl-s manifolds both are dual stage and will need wiring to get the imrc valve to open the second stage. The mdx will not need this wiring done. It just flows more than a tl-p manifold. You will not loose TCS with the tb change. The type s tb has the vsa unit in front of the tb which has a seperate throttle plate that closes and cuts power when slipping occurs. And as for the Vafc question. Its not needed, i am sure that the stock ecu can handle the increases. It might be better to add it though. think about it. You are letting more air in, and the car will need more fuel. You want to get a proper balance of a/f so the vafc might be a good idea.
Old 08-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Three Wheelin'

Bigman:
I've done some research about the MDX intake manifold, and yes, it is a direct swap with the TL's OEM intake manifold. The only problem is that there is a real possibility that you cannot close the hood (never mind the fact that you probably can't put the stock engine cover back on).

Do you know the physical dimension of the 02 MDX intake manifold? I've asked around, and no one seems to know. Without this info, I can't compare it to the stock manifold, and see if the MDX manifold fits (with enough hood clearance to close the hood). Let me know if your research comes up with anything. Thx.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:52 PM
Pro

sorry i havent been on the forums. The TL-s and cl-s manifolds both are dual stage and will need wiring to get the imrc valve to open the second stage. The mdx will not need this wiring done. It just flows more than a tl-p manifold. You will not loose TCS with the tb change. The type s tb has the vsa unit in front of the tb which has a seperate throttle plate that closes and cuts power when slipping occurs. And as for the Vafc question. Its not needed, i am sure that the stock ecu can handle the increases. It might be better to add it though. think about it. You are letting more air in, and the car will need more fuel. You want to get a proper balance of a/f so the vafc might be a good idea.
What kind of wiring are you talking about on the TL-s TB to tl-p? I know that the tl-s has VSA where we (00'TL-p) only have TCS. Wouldn't it just be easier just to swap out a MDX TB? No wiring required and just a direct bolt on. How would you wire that into the ECU. 00' TL isn't designed to handle VSA.
Old 08-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by patrick
Bigman:
I've done some research about the MDX intake manifold, and yes, it is a direct swap with the TL's OEM intake manifold. The only problem is that there is a real possibility that you cannot close the hood (never mind the fact that you probably can't put the stock engine cover back on).

Do you know the physical dimension of the 02 MDX intake manifold? I've asked around, and no one seems to know. Without this info, I can't compare it to the stock manifold, and see if the MDX manifold fits (with enough hood clearance to close the hood). Let me know if your research comes up with anything. Thx.
I've got a few pictures of differen't engine bays, mdx, tl, tl-s etc. I can email them to you if you think they might be of help.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:55 AM
In Pursuit of Perfection

so which tb is better to replace a tls or a mdx for a tlp?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:43 PM
Racer

Okay guys, found a 2001 TLS trottle body going for $150 out of Texas. Try car-parts.com
Old 09-09-2004, 03:35 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Lord.... I'm so confused. I read every single post, and have no idea what a manifold is or ports... like when people talking about port polishing, etc. If the CL-S throttle body is a direct swap for my 99 TL-P, then I want to do it. I am still curious as to where exactly the throttle body is on my car. Dont blast me... I'm not very engine educated, although I did install my CAI, but that wasn't a big install.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dands99tl
I've got a few pictures of differen't engine bays, mdx, tl, tl-s etc. I can email them to you if you think they might be of help.
Thx for the offer, but it's not gonna help much without knowing the exact dimensions. Right now, the problem is whether or not you can close the hood with the MDX intake manifold installed. I for one do not want to cut a hole into my hood (a la hood scoop) to make this mod work without knowing 110% that this won't be a problem. And so far, no one really knows the answer.
Old 09-09-2004, 03:57 PM
'99 Acura 3.2TL

Originally Posted by Comet2404
Lord.... I'm so confused. I read every single post, and have no idea what a manifold is or ports... like when people talking about port polishing, etc. If the CL-S throttle body is a direct swap for my 99 TL-P, then I want to do it. I am still curious as to where exactly the throttle body is on my car. Dont blast me... I'm not very engine educated, although I did install my CAI, but that wasn't a big install.

the intake manifold is the part where air flows tru after it goes tru the throttle body, which is the part that opens when you press the gaz pedal.. (where you connected one end of your cold air intake)

here's a picture of the intake manifold, the hole you see on the right is where the throttle body goes. also, the ports i think are the end of each of the 6 "pipes" you see in the center of the manifold.

And this is the throttle body assembly, you can see it it connects to the manifold and when you press the gaz pedal the valve inside the throttle body opens to let air in:

i hope this helps!

-justin
Old 09-09-2004, 03:59 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Comet2404
This is what a thottlebody looks like:

http://www.kingmotorsports.com/produ...173&vehicle=TL

On my 99 TL-P, it connects directly to my short ram intake. For more info, go to AW.com and search for my TB upgrade/review on it.
Old 09-09-2004, 04:23 PM
Flyin' and Drivin'

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
Aha! Now I know exactly where it is! Thanks alot... I was highly confused on that one! Duh Ryan......