began the tl diet this week

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by rockstar143
Wow, down 300 pounds, that's a lot of weight, man.!
The people questioning you are must not be familiar with the 3G threads out there...Inaccurate gets nothing but praise for the diet. I'm not ok with doing this to my car and after my recent "careless driving" ticket, I'm actually not looking to make my car any more fun or fast...

ACTUALLY, this brings me to another question, what kind of MPG improvements are you guys seeing with removing so much weight? Or are you just driving it harder since it's more fun and it offsets?
this last tank ive driven it alot harder than i usually do because of how fun it is now, but ive returned with the same gas mileage. i actually read something yesterday on popular mechanics yesterday about 10% reduction in weight on an average car returns 7% better fuel economy. im not proud of my driving record or the money ive spent on tickets but i just paid off my 8th speeding ticket last night. i got a careless and imprudent driving by excessive exceleration. i am young still and i dont always make the best decisions

its friday and i cant wait to get out of class and go home and start removing more things =). the rubber type material will be removed today along with the firewall insulation and if i have enough time before night activities i hope to have my front bumper vibration damper out as well.

this weekend i might start taking weights of things for you guys and posting them like innacurate has. lets hope i dont have a hangover tomorrow and will be capable of doing so for you all
Old 04-15-2012, 09:10 PM
Instructor

removed dash and now attempting to remove the a/c and vents. the climate control system is fucking complex and all of it is stuffed underneath the dash. ALL OF IT
Old 04-15-2012, 09:50 PM
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I now see what you are going for. But you are piss broke, have no job, and you are trying to mod a race car ? Honestly bro, get your priorities straight. Having your parents pay for your "hobby" is not respectable in my book. You said you are on your fourth transmission and your girl doesn't get your driving ? So you parents paid $10k for transmissions because of your "driving style" ? You have eight speeding tickets and imprudent driving and excessive acceleration ? Slow the fuck down before you kill someone. You are not a race car driver, nor you are a Paul Walker.

My advice to you is to get a job first, after you get your finances situated start playing with the car. I know that you are 18, but it is no excuse to do this leeching BS. And slow the hell down.
The following 2 users liked this post by AZsilverTl:
MilwaukeeDave (04-16-2012), Type-ES (04-30-2012)
Old 04-16-2012, 08:54 AM
Chapter Leader (South Florida Region)

Received 19,966 Likes on 14,484 Posts
Well, he did preface all this by saying that he's young and knows he has a lot to learn. I don't remember taking anyone's advice when i was younger, I had to learn the hard way!

WOW though, Dash and AC removal! You are very committed to better acceleration!
Old 04-16-2012, 11:19 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by AZsilverTl
I now see what you are going for. But you are piss broke, have no job, and you are trying to mod a race car ? Honestly bro, get your priorities straight. Having your parents pay for your "hobby" is not respectable in my book. You said you are on your fourth transmission and your girl doesn't get your driving ? So you parents paid $10k for transmissions because of your "driving style" ? You have eight speeding tickets and imprudent driving and excessive acceleration ? Slow the fuck down before you kill someone. You are not a race car driver, nor you are a Paul Walker.

My advice to you is to get a job first, after you get your finances situated start playing with the car. I know that you are 18, but it is no excuse to do this leeching BS. And slow the hell down.
Woah. I paid for my transmission once. I had warranty on it tht it would get fixed within 6 months of being rebuilt I am counting the original transmission in the car as one of the four. They did extremely shtty rebuilds until the last time. I have no idea why you came at me like this. I am a full time student and have had many jobs in te past but have spent it on items that I still have. My grades dropped so. Quit my last Job to focus on school and plan to get another job this summer so I think my priorities are pretty straight knowing school comes first. Why are you even commenting on this thread with some ignorant comment. Thank you.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:23 AM
Instructor

And also at my own expense are you complaining about me Doing this and trying to "parent" me. I would love to let you know any information I've learned throughout my build or better worded " tear down process" other than that keep your ignorant parenting comments to those in your family.
Old 04-17-2012, 03:32 AM
Lone Wolf

Received 497 Likes on 399 Posts
The rsx seats don't weigh much less than stock seats. I have a stripped 2nd gen cl with all the removed weight listed with cl and rsx seat weight. You can check out my build thread in my sig. My weights will match yours closer than the 3G tl will.

Why did you remove the dash? Are you getting a custom dash made? I understand why some people are concerned about whether you have thought this through. I would never use the auto tranny on a track car myself. I have some track days scheduled, and it is not cheap. Tires, brakes, fluids, etc. plus each track day/ weekend can cost 200-650. Have to be prepared for things to break also.

Last edited by brian6speed; 04-17-2012 at 03:41 AM.
The following users liked this post:
2gtls (04-17-2012)
Old 04-17-2012, 08:24 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brian6speed
The rsx seats don't weigh much less than stock seats. I have a stripped 2nd gen cl with all the removed weight listed with cl and rsx seat weight. You can check out my build thread in my sig. My weights will match yours closer than the 3G tl will.

Why did you remove the dash? Are you getting a custom dash made? I understand why some people are concerned about whether you have thought this through. I would never use the auto tranny on a track car myself. I have some track days scheduled, and it is not cheap. Tires, brakes, fluids, etc. plus each track day/ weekend can cost 200-650. Have to be prepared for things to break also.
my graduation present is going to be a 6 speed swap im going to college for automotive classes my parents know im obsessed with my car. but ok thank you i will be checking yours out. id like to really compare vehicle weights im going to have to find time this weekend to go and get my car weighed
Old 04-17-2012, 08:49 AM

I wouldn't want to weigh my car...I'm sure it would be disappointing to see how much it weighs.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:47 PM
Instructor

i dont have time to remove the a/c system until this weekend so i am just going to remove the rear subwoofer (which barely works now because the air chamber it resided in (the trunk) is now 3 times as large and isnt powerful enough to make much noise) and remove rear door panels. its actually extremely cool to see everything wired and where it goes and how it all works "behind the scenes". does anyone know if our automatics after being rebuilt are worth anything and price for them? since im going to be doing a manual swap this summer id like to have some extra money to help pay for it (manual swap is graduation present_
Old 04-19-2012, 10:22 AM
Instructor

Update. Removed half of the tar type stuff on the floor it's pretty heavy for its size, removed radio and passenger air bag for now, removing back door panels tonight. Got a 100% guarantee for a manual swap. Coming into money today and might go and use that to remove mid muffler. Anyone know if that will effect passing emmissions or inspection?
Old 04-19-2012, 10:53 AM

affect...
I would DEFINITELY double check before going that route...
Wow, you are super committed, be sure about removing all this safety stuff, man!
Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM
Instructor

under our dashes we have a tubular pipe that holds the whole dash together like as a moutning point basically and the passenger air bag just bolts in and out it can be put back in with ease if i ever get a passenger seat again. but yeah ive been looking around online and havnt found anything. i dont think it would be illegal its not effecting any burn off of harmful chemicals. also when i do the manual swap its suppose to be 70-100 pounds lighter than the auto trans so that will help also
Old 04-19-2012, 02:58 PM
Advanced

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts
Kudos to you. We're the same age and I'm freaking out about changing my radio while you tore your car down. Have fun and be sure to post pics.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:46 PM
Instructor

There are 3 plugs thy connect to the back of the radio. It would be really easy to remove an replace if you had something the same size or something to cover up the hole from the smaller radio. It's easier than you think don't sweat it
Old 04-19-2012, 09:05 PM

Thanks for sharing, more pics, brother...we're a crowd that likes to be entertained!
Old 04-20-2012, 12:31 PM
Instructor

ill have you more pics today. just woke up and going out to work on my car as we speak. be prepared since you requested it you shall recieve. in massive quantities.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:31 PM
Instructor

PICTURE UPDATE. and my back started killing me so i stopped working on it. i have bad back injuries from playing lacrosse for so many years.
began the tl diet this week-u01ia.jpg
began the tl diet this week-6hagz.jpg
began the tl diet this week-gdysz.jpg
began the tl diet this week-ac5ve.jpg
began the tl diet this week-33eml.jpg
began the tl diet this week-rqnyc.jpg
began the tl diet this week-63nhy.jpg
began the tl diet this week-xwvbg.jpg
began the tl diet this week-r0kib.jpg
Old 04-20-2012, 04:37 PM
ABPUA5

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
forever alone level: 9000

lol props for the work, just not practical. at all. especially at your age man, you want to be able to take people with you
Old 04-20-2012, 04:56 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by -Vip3r-
forever alone level: 9000

lol props for the work, just not practical. at all. especially at your age man, you want to be able to take people with you
not worried about being practical at my age is all about being irrational more into performance than people riding with me. there isnt much to do in stlouis except house parties at my age either. not worried about going places with people. my friends dont mind driving me anyways.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 205 Likes on 180 Posts
Take off the brakes and stop flintstone style. Like a BAWSE!
Old 04-21-2012, 03:07 AM
3 pedals in my 99 TL

Received 178 Likes on 156 Posts
all that emptiness reminds of me of when I did my 6MT swap and everything was metal and wiring exposed. Do work son! Once that 6MT is in there it will be much lighter too
Old 04-21-2012, 08:59 AM

2 things...how much did you save with the dash removal?!?! Good luck convincing the cops the car isn't headed for a chop shop!

Very committed and looking pretty clean...Have you considered a lightweight coilover?!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Lone Wolf

I would hope he is putting dash back in after or is making a custom dash. It would just look awful without a dash. Even race cars have dashes. Too many reflections in the windshield when driving.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:02 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by brian6speed
I would hope he is putting dash back in after or is making a custom dash. It would just look awful without a dash. Even race cars have dashes. Too many reflections in the windshield when driving.
thats true. at night its perfect though. im going to put something over the dash. it sure wont be pretty though.... i havnt had any time to clean anything up its all a mess. after i do the 6mt swap ill have more time to work on the wiring thats exposed and etc. i do not think our car has a front damper unless i took it out a long time ago.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:04 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by rockstar143
2 things...how much did you save with the dash removal?!?! Good luck convincing the cops the car isn't headed for a chop shop!

Very committed and looking pretty clean...Have you considered a lightweight coilover?!
the dash was around 15 pounds. not too much but im desperate for weight loss. but now that the dash has been removed its easier to get to a/c pieces, passenger airbag etc. 1st gear it goes like a bat out of hell and 3rd gear it hauls ass still. but yeah im gunna have to be careful with cops...
Old 04-21-2012, 06:12 PM
MechEng

Received 483 Likes on 400 Posts
it looks like you unplugged everything from the climate control/radio area. IIRC the hazard lights switch needs to be plugged in, in order for the turn signals to work.

there may be other things that work only when certain things are plugged in. just be aware.
Old 04-21-2012, 06:56 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
ur getting a detachable steering wheel right? for now, just ditch the driver side airbag.
things to get rid of:

hi beam bulbs, center caps, mud guards, shift knob, and shift gate (including bulb and face).

You should also swap ur lug nuts to 1/2" open ended lug nuts.

You might also wanna start fasting.

Just for now.

:3

lol
Old 04-22-2012, 12:11 AM
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I was at street wars today and saw a g35, gave me.a good idea. The guy took apart his door panels so just the top part was left. Looked clean ....basically just the area that you would typically lean your elbow on when driving/where the door handle is.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:22 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by 03tLsNBP
it looks like you unplugged everything from the climate control/radio area. IIRC the hazard lights switch needs to be plugged in, in order for the turn signals to work.

there may be other things that work only when certain things are plugged in. just be aware.
yeah i figured that out yesterday afternoon
Old 04-22-2012, 06:46 PM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This reminds me of a time shortly after I bought my TL. My friend and I were headed somewhere, and I gave the excellerator a firm push as the light turned green. Naturally, we jumped well ahead of the other cars next to us. Eventhough the tach. only reved to about 3500, my friend said:
"I feel sorry for your car"
Old 04-22-2012, 08:18 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 65 Likes on 52 Posts
nice to see you commited but i would never do this. just save the money and get a comptech supercharger. my friend has one on his cls and my god it pulls.
Old 04-23-2012, 09:47 AM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by Skirmich

IMHO; Just get a RWD car for Racing!! The TL-S is a SPORT/LUXURY CAR! Not meant to be Stripped.

You should tell that to all the people i beat when i race .... Oh wait, most are RWD (so because the interiors are stripped i the BMWs that are raced arent meant to be raced either cause they are luxury cars, or the factory sponsored TSX because its luxury? I could go on about other makes that are stripped)

RWD doesnt = better Ever watch Touring car series racing?
The following 3 users liked this post by fsttyms1:
2gtls (04-23-2012), JCharged (04-25-2012), rockstar143 (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 12:58 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by fsttyms1
You should tell that to all the people i beat when i race .... Oh wait, most are RWD (so because the interiors are stripped i the BMWs that are raced arent meant to be raced either cause they are luxury cars, or the factory sponsored TSX because its luxury? I could go on about other makes that are stripped)

RWD doesnt = better Ever watch Touring car series racing?
THANK YOU. its how you drive the car... ive driven rwd cars albeit they were both solid axle (trans am ws6 and mustang gt) and both feel like you could oversteer so easily. i like the way the tl is set up ive never raced it on a track course but it definitely has potential to be a good car.. solid frame and engine.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:06 PM
Lone Wolf

You just have to get used to people saying why mod a fwd car just buy rwd instead. Why not just buy a s/c instead etc. Then everyone will think you are crazy driving a gutted car. I have even had the police mess with me because they assumed the car was stolen or something was going on. I was put in the back of a police car while he illegally searched my entire car. He found nothing and let me go without even a warning cause he had no reason to stop or harrass me.

To me tracking a car is more about improving driving skill, not about who has the fastest or best car. Gets boring seeing the same cars at every track event.

A s/c would just add more weight in front of the front axle. Our car dsn't even have proper tuning for it. For a track car that would not be very reliable or cheap.

I would also look into the legal ramifications before removing some parts like driver steering wheel airbag. If the car is in a crash and/or you are injured will insurance cover it and you after you tampered with safety devices?

Last edited by brian6speed; 04-23-2012 at 03:09 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2gtls (04-23-2012)
Old 04-23-2012, 04:35 PM
Instructor

i just got quoted today by car-x on removing my mid muffler and resonator and welding new pipes back in. they said 120 for the total deal them supplying pipes too. i have a 20 dollar coupon for anything over 100 dollars purchased there so basically 100 dollars to remove and add in pipes in place of mid muffler and resonator. is this a good deal? i could look harder
Old 04-23-2012, 04:42 PM
takin care of Business in

Received 4,732 Likes on 4,064 Posts
HOLY SHIT !!!

now that is one step ahead of inaccurate !!!
Old 04-23-2012, 04:49 PM
Instructor

i just cannot wait for this manual swap.... kind of stressing about the parts list ive read and read and read and ive come up pretty inconclusive about it.. all i know i need is acura tranny because i want a lsd, rv6 harness, clutch stuff, shifter stuff. lol.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:09 PM
Instructor

03 CLs-6 speed manual
03 CLs-6 Flywheel 22105-PGE-305
03 CLs-6 Clutch Assembly 22105-PGE-305 (unfortunately right now there aren’t many options for aftermarket clutches) - $223 (for clutch and flywheel)
03 CLs-6 Flywheel bolts (Qty 8) 90011-PGE-000 - $2.08 x 8 = $16.64
03 CLs-6 Shifter and cables. 54100-S3M-A01 - $59.03, 54310-S3M-A01 - $109.49
03 CLs-6 Gauges
03 CLs-6 Hydraulic Clutch lines. 46960-S3M-A01 - $4.31, & 46970-S3M-A01 - $6.40
03 CLs-6 Trans mounts (2 of them) 50806-S3M-A03 - $37.89, 50805-S3M-A03 - $26.79
03 CLs-6 Cup Holder 77230-S3M-A01ZA - $81.80 – eBay - $37.00
03 CLs-6 Parking brake 47105-S3M-A04ZA - $47.33 and to go with it,
Spring 47537-671-670 - $1.29, Nut 47522-594-000 - $0.73, Equalizer pin 47365-538-000 - $0.47, Equalizer 47360-SB2-000 - $1.36
BRAKE PEDAL ASSY 46600-S3M-A51 - $51.26
If you decide to buy it new you will need the pedal and mount CLUTCH PEDAL 46910-S3M-A01 - $46.80 & CLUTCH PEDAL BRACKET 46990-S84-A01 - $18.98
MASTER CYLINDER ASSY 46922-S3M-A01 - $52.58 & Clutch Fluid Tank 46965-S5A-013 - $14.61, & Clutch Hose 46961-S3M-A02 - $20.49
Shift Knob 54102-SL0-023ZB - $161.25 – reuse stock

found this from someone else. this seems basic like i need lol
Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 PM
Drifting

Received 223 Likes on 195 Posts
Originally Posted by 2gtls
i just got quoted today by car-x on removing my mid muffler and resonator and welding new pipes back in. they said 120 for the total deal them supplying pipes too. i have a 20 dollar coupon for anything over 100 dollars purchased there so basically 100 dollars to remove and add in pipes in place of mid muffler and resonator. is this a good deal? i could look harder
talk about overpriced, you can find better deals out there

Quick Reply: began the tl diet this week