Beep when disarming factory alarm with factory remote?

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2002, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Beep when disarming factory alarm with factory remote?

Before I continue, let me clarify the following--the beep I refer to isn't the beep you hear when you press the LOCK button on the remote twice in succession, but the beep(s) you hear when pressing the memory seat buttons--these are two distinct-sounding beeps, so I don't think anyone can be confused between the two.

Now, on to the issue at hand--according to the '02 TL/TLS owner's manual, under "Recalling a Memorized Driving Position" (page 82) it states that "If the seat and mirrors are already in the proper positions, you will hear three beeps when you open the door" when you open the driver's door after unlocking it with the factory remote. However, I'd say 9 out of 10 times I don't hear any such beep; in fact, even when I do hear a beep, it's either a single beep or a double beep, and even once in a blue moon the single beep followed by two beeps, which BTW is normally supposed to be heard when the driver's seat/mirror position is being moved to the position stored in memory. Now I know that I didn't accidently hit a seat control, which by doing so would invalidate the current memory position; if such was case, I can see why the car would do the one beep/two beeps after I open the door--it is indicating that it is recalling the stored driver's seat/mirror position. Regardless, I definitely don't hear the three consecutive beeps like what is described in the manual most of the time--only silence after I unlock and open the driver's door.

Yes, I will have the dealer check this out; however, the reason for my post is that I wanted to know if I'm the only one who is experiencing this "problem" (not a big deal but you never know what it might lead to considering that the issue involves electronics and/or computers--memory position is tied into the remote so you'd figure that this function is stored on some onboard processor somewhere) or perhaps it's widespread; I mean, c'mon--how many of you even knew that the car is supposed to beep three times in succession when you open the driver's door after unlocking it with the factory remote and the seat and mirrors were already in the same memory position as the remote you used (remember, two remote fobs--one for each memory seat position) when you locked your car?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:43 PM
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Man i dun even pay attention to that. But since you mention it, i only heard it beeps two times when i open the door after i unlocked it with the remote if the seat has been adjust. But i dun recall hearing any beep or anything like that when u just open the door after unlocking it either. Is it suppose to beep?
Old 12-18-2002, 08:57 PM
Racer

Here is what the manual says should happen,

"When you open the driver’s door
after unlocking it with the remote
transmitter, you will hear a beep.
The driver’s seat and outside mirrors
move to the positions stored in that
memory location. You will hear two
beeps when the movement is
complete."

I think you have to open the door pretty quickly to hear it if it is already in the correct position.
Old 12-18-2002, 10:55 PM
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You will also hear the headlight on reminder when you open the door because the driving lights are flashing .. they key is out of the ignition and your door is open .. so it will chirp the light reminder each time it flashes the light .. yeah .. I hear that too .. took me a bit to figure out what it is.

-ANdy
Old 12-18-2002, 11:21 PM
Racer

This one should be farily simple to test out guys.
Sit in the car and play with your remote. You should hear all the beeps you want !!!

Now that you mention it though if you read the statement from the manual carefully. It can be interpreted that you should hear 1 beep when you open the door (but this might get muffled with the door latch opening). Now the next part says "The driver’s seat and outside mirrors move to the positions stored in that memory location. You will hear two beeps when the movement is complete."... but if its already at the position then there is no movement so should it beep twice. (it hasn't moved so why should it beep).

Something to try out tomorrow.
Old 12-19-2002, 01:13 PM
Three Wheelin'

No, it's not that I didn't hear the beeps quickly enough due to not opening the door right away--I moved the seat position just for the hell of it to see if it would do the one beep/two beeps routine upon opening the door; it did the beeps even after I waited 5 seconds before opening the door.

TLS RULZ--the manual clearly states that if the memorized seat/mirrors are already in the proper positions when you open the driver's door after disarm, you should hear three beeps. Of course, if seat position was in memory 1 (and is different from that in memory 2) prior to arm, and you disarm with remote 2, the seats will of course move to correspond with memory 2. Like I said, almost every time I disarm and open the door I don't hear even a single beep.

As far as the one/two beep thing when the seat is being moved to a memorized position--upon opening the door after disarm, you will hear one beep; then, the seat and mirrors will move into the stored memory position corresponding to whatever programmed remote you were using. After the movement is complete, you will hear two beeps, which means that indeed, the seat and mirrors are now in the memorized position. Keep in mind that all this assumes that the seats were in a position that previously didn't correspond to the memory position associated with the remote you were using to disarm. Think about it--the one/two beep sound you hear right after you open the door upon a disarm (assuming that the seat needs to be moved into a memorized position, that is) is essentially the same thing you would/should hear if you were to press either memory seat button on the door panel itself--again, assuming that the seat was in a position other than what corresponded to the memory setting or remote fob prior to doing so (pressing the memory seat button).

Kramer--I don't think that it's a matter of it beeping as soon as you hit the disarm button (not opening the door quickly enough, that is). I left the driver's window open, then did the arm/disarm/open the door routine--no three beeps, even when opening the door as soon as I disarm, unless I have to open the door within a fraction of a second upon pressing the disarm button, in which case I guess I'm just SOL 'cuz I ain't that fast!
Old 12-19-2002, 08:16 PM
Banned

Regardless of what the manual may say, you'll hear one beep when you press a seat memory button on the door (or unlock with a factory remote, since that serves the same purpose). Once the movement is done, you'll hear the two beeps. If the seats don't need to move at all, you'll hear the first beep, followed quickly by the second two beeps (hence, three beeps--not evenly spaced though). However, I believe this last scenario only occurs if you use the buttons on the door, not with the remote.

Remember, even the manual is wrong once in a while--like telling us our TL-S headrests tilt (which they don't). Almost broke one discovering that fallacy.....
Old 12-20-2002, 09:26 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by pianoman41
If the seats don't need to move at all, you'll hear the first beep, followed quickly by the second two beeps (hence, three beeps--not evenly spaced though). However, I believe this last scenario only occurs if you use the buttons on the door, not with the remote.
If true, then how does that explain those people in this thread who claim to have heard the three beeps upon opening the door (and who I assume hadn't pressed the memory door button and/or not needed the seat/mirror position automatically recalled)?
Old 12-20-2002, 01:53 PM
Racer

I just tested this at lunch and here is what my car does.

1. If the seat is already in the position that correspondes to my remote it does nothing, as I expected.
2. If the seat is not in my memory spot it beeps once when it starts to move and twice when done.

I have heard it beep sometimes when I leave work and I know I did not move anything when I left the car. So, either it has a mind of its own or it checks itself every so often.

The question you really need to ask yourself is, is the seat always in the correct position when you get in the car? If so who cares how many times it beeps.
Old 12-20-2002, 04:46 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by Kramer
I just tested this at lunch and here is what my car does.

1. If the seat is already in the position that correspondes to my remote it does nothing, as I expected.
2. If the seat is not in my memory spot it beeps once when it starts to move and twice when done.

I have heard it beep sometimes when I leave work and I know I did not move anything when I left the car. So, either it has a mind of its own or it checks itself every so often.

The question you really need to ask yourself is, is the seat always in the correct position when you get in the car? If so who cares how many times it beeps.
#1 contradicts what the owner's manual states; also, others claim to hear the three beeps, so why would it be "expected"?

#2--no argument there, inasmuch as I didn't say that it wasn't doing what it was supposed to do.

As you noted--sometimes you hear it and sometimes you don't--again, I'm not trying to make a big deal about it, nor does it extremely bother me that it doesn't beep in my case. All I was looking for was as to whether or not it was a more widespread issue that may have been acknowledged by Acura as a "mistake" a la the false tilting headrests on the TL-S, or if indeed it's supposed to beep as specified in the manual. Keep in mind that even though the beep thing is somewhat trivial, it is "controlled" by electronics--if it's supposed to beep and it isn't, it could be a precursor to future electronic problems, and heaven forbid, worrying about how much it would cost to troubleshoot an electronic issue which is probably microprocessor-controlled.

I suspect a sensor or whatever it is that determines whether the seat has moved from it's memorized position may be faulty, hence the "false" one/two beeps I hear even though I'm almost positive I hadn't adjusted it from it's preset position.