Beat a CL Type-S

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2001, 10:35 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking Beat a CL Type-S

I was at drill and told my commander that my TL was faster than his CL (by 0.1 seconds in the 1/4 mile according to most mags). We both have Type-S variants. I was just giving him a hard time. We then looked at both of the front ends and the TL is much more aggressive. Anyway, at the end of the day we were leaving and he was several car lengths ahead of me on a single lane road. When it opened to 2 lanes I down shifted to 3rd to catch him and even up with him. I think we were going around 60 and I thought it was worth a shot to try to grab 2nd gear. I pulled the SS down a couple of times to see if I could get 2nd and to my amazement it did! Anyway, I started to pull on him. I shift to 3rd at a little past redline and I just kept pulling. We got up to about 90 before we got relatively close to traffic. We then both turned to get back onto post where he pulled up next to me. His windows were down while we were running so I put mine down and he admitted that I beat him. It then dawned on me that my A/C was on. That just added insult to injury. What a blast!!! He said next time we'll have to line up at a red light to eliminate a couple of variables and test our reaction/launch...

* Disclaimer: I'm not saying that all TL-S's are faster than CL-S's, but on this occasion it was.

------------------
John

2002 WDP TL-S (non-nav)
ex 2000 WDP TL Nav driver
Old 06-11-2001, 11:19 PM
Advanced

Good kill!!

So your windows were up and his were down during the race?? If so, that's easily enough to make the difference!! And, I should say that we have WOT overrides on the AC system. The compressor turns off when we floor it so having the AC on doesn't matter. I know people who have turned their best G-Tech times with the AC on!!
Old 06-12-2001, 01:19 AM
Drifting

Have you had the chance to run against any TLS in your CL yet GoldTypeS?
Old 06-12-2001, 10:13 AM
10th Gear

I used to own an 01 CL-S, traded it for my TL-S in May. Needed a 4 door car.

The TL-S is marginally quicker, and handles a little better. It is also quieter, and has far less squeaks and rattles. Overall, it is a better car from a performance standpoint, and yes (IMO) TL-S looks better too.

I would not hesitate to take on a stock CL-S.
Old 06-12-2001, 01:23 PM
Racer

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life:
What is up with all the hatered towards the CL-S. I mean we are all in the Acura family. Most of the TL owners in here do nothing but talk about how ugly the CL-S is and how their car is faster. Where is the love?
Black CL-S 4-Life:
No hatred here...I almost bought a CL-S last year...was literally hours from closing the deal...until someone told me there was a rumor that a TL-S will be introduced in a year...Now for me....as Stocktypes put it, In my opinion...I like the styling of the TL a little better...I admit the styling of the CL grew on me over the past year as I kept looking at it wondering if I had made the mistake of not buying it back then...Simply put...the 260 hp engine of that CL-S just wowed me as I test drove it.

As juniorbean puts it they're practically brothers...in a different shell...one w/ 2 doors, one w/ 4 doors...can't hate on the other...both beautiful cars...I just prefer the styling of one over the other and the convenience of 2 extra doors (although I thought the walk-in feature on the CL was cool)

I agree w/ juniorbean...between the two testdrives, the CLS felt slightly quicker than the TLS but I mean the test drives were like a year apart

But anyway...no hating going on here... sorry to ramble
Old 06-12-2001, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

When racing on the street you have to factor in all the variables: (windows open,traffic,a/c on, road surfaces, etc.) But the most important factor i think is the DRIVER! If the driver doesnt know what he is doing then that could easily cost someone a race especially when we are talking about cars which are pumping out the same hp.

------------------
Tom

2001 Nighthawk Black Pearl TL

Comptech springs,Xephyr,Performance CAI, Inspire tailights,Piaa super white 001 solitare fogs, Inspire fog switch,Burlwood shift knob,Piaa Xtreme white blinkers,Razo carbon fiber pedals,BEL 870 radar detector, Acura-TL.com sticker
Old 06-12-2001, 02:44 PM
10th Gear

Talking

No hatred here, heck I bough a second Acura because I liked the first one (CL-S). A two door did not work well with young kids, that is why I traded.

A couple of reasons that TL-S might have an edge:

Longer wheelbase = better weight distribution
Polyeurothane sway bar bushings on TL-S, rubber on CL-S will help cornering on TL-S
Different rear mufflers on TL-S (quieter)
Different wheels (.5" narrower) on TL-S seem to track a little better.
Better off the line response with TL-S, not sure why, the rear mufflers perhaps?.

CL-S will probably have all the 02 TL-S features, plus a six speed manual for '02. Curious what Acura does, if anything with CL-S styling for '02.

Old 06-12-2001, 05:00 PM
Pro

Originally posted by Black CL-S 4-Life:
What is up with all the hatered towards the CL-S. I mean we are all in the Acura family. Most of the TL owners in here do nothing but talk about how ugly the CL-S is and how their car is faster. Where is the love?
My dealer has a gold CL-S on the floor adjacent to the service area. I can't tell you how long I stared at it on my last service visit (but I needed the extra doors on the TL-S). It's a beautiful car and color for someone who can work with a coupe!!!

Old 06-12-2001, 11:23 PM
Floyd Mayweather Jr.

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Thumbs down

Old 06-12-2001, 11:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,760 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Cool

Originally posted by stocktypeS:
I used to own an 01 CL-S, traded it for my TL-S in May. Needed a 4 door car.

The TL-S is marginally quicker, and handles a little better. It is also quieter, and has far less squeaks and rattles. Overall, it is a better car from a performance standpoint, and yes (IMO) TL-S looks better too.

I would not hesitate to take on a stock CL-S.

The CL-S and TL-S have the same engine, etc., and the CL-S is slightly lighter then the TL-S so how could it be faster? Most who have driven both (me included) have concluded tha the CL-S is slightly quicker. Either way, it really shouldn't matter. They're so similar that they're basically brothers. In 10 races, it wouldn't be out of the question to have 5 wins each....

------------------
1998 Acura CL 3.0 (Iced Blue) ** Some mods, but who cares,
I want a Type-S... (CL or TL)!!

Moderator - 1st Gen Forum @ www.acura-cl.com

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by juniorbean on June 12, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-14-2001, 08:54 PM
Racer

No hating here. I found out that he had it in D5 while I was using SS. I went from 3rd to 2nd and he had to go from 5th to 2nd. Anyway, we have yet to line them up and start from 0. For a while he had a faster car than me when I had my 2000 TL... Both cars are nice, pretty fast, and sleepers for those not in the know!!

------------------
John

2002 WDP TL-S (non-nav)
ex 2000 WDP TL Nav driver
Old 06-15-2001, 05:33 AM
Suzuka Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I mentioned this, but nobody believes me.

Have one of the TL-S people weight the 6.5" rims. The wheels on the CL-S are a very heavy 26lbs, and I got more punch from going to 14 lbs SSRs with 23.8 lb Toyo T1S 235/45ZR17-97W* Proxies. About 50 lbs lighter for 4 wheels. People think that it is just as good to go for a diet, but the CL-S is spinning about 52 lbs of tire/wheel. So, if I added the Comptech headers and AEM and got around 305HP at the crank, and I felt more overall punch from cutting the weight of the wheels, I think there is something to the TL having less mass in the wheels.

We had one guy with some lead weight 18" wheels, that was getting 17sec 1/4 miles. He put back is stock wheels as got to 16 sec (still pathetic). We think he has a bad IMRC actuator.

So, if you guys have lighter drivetrain and wheels, you will pick up more than you would guess.

Dropping the 12.5+ per wheel felt like kicking two people out of the car -- could this be worth looking in to?

Does someone have a TL-S wheel to weigh on a good balance beam scale?

(my opinions -- and I have the headers, sways, AEM, SSR Comp wheels 17x8" +48, and Toyo T1S Proxies. A similar setup car runs 14.3 at the 1/4 mile -- normal temps...)