balance or alignment issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007 | 10:54 AM
Money is funny.

balance or alignment issue?

I recently had my front rotors replaced along with front pads, and I have this weird vibration that I thought was warped rotors (but I just replaced the rotors).

I hear this squeaking sound everytime the driver's side front turns and my rears (which have not been touched yet) make an intermittent grinding noise against the brake pad on both sides (I was lightly rear ended in april and not sure if that is why as the problem didn't become bvious until about 2-3 weeks ago. The car tracks pretty well, it goes VERY minimally to the left if i leave the wheel alone for a few minutes, but stays in a straight line otherwise.

Would balance or alignment help me out in anyway here? Or should I get all the rotors turned? I was told by a buddy since the rotors and pads in the front are new and I feel vibrations hitting the brake at about 35+ (but don't really feel them any slower) I should get my wheels balanced and aligned and that should fix it. I thought balancing was only when you got new tires? Any advice?
Old 05-25-2007 | 07:41 AM
Money is funny.

bump...anyone ever have this issue? It's not really addressed when using search...
Old 05-25-2007 | 10:57 AM
Team Owner

You should really balance the tires every time you rotate if you drive on heavily potholed roads or drive fast.
Even new rotors can be warped by improper/uneven and over-torque on the wheel lug nuts. Check yours- 80 foot puunds is spec
What brand rotors and pads?
Take the rear wheels off and inspect the brakes
The fronts may need to be lubed properly with brake caliper grease. If the caliper and pads are not free to slide a little- then system jams and can make noise
Old 05-25-2007 | 11:10 AM
Drifting

What speeds are you at when the vibration occurs?
Old 05-25-2007 | 11:45 AM
Money is funny.

i guess i'll have to schedule a balance job this weekend...hopefully that helps...I am on hawk pads and OEM rotors. As for the lube on the pads, i just spread the grease right along the back of the pad and put them back, right?

bob_f, I am usually feel vibrations giong about 35+ and I brake. Anything slower though the brakes feel almost as smooth as they normally do...
Old 05-25-2007 | 12:00 PM
Team Owner

Ok- did you do the prescribed bedding of the Hawk pads as described in the directions on the box and on their website www.hawkperformance.com
Glaze build up can cause shaking and is easily cleaned off with a high speed re-bedding procedure. Often the cause, and no $ to fix

For caliper grease, on the pad backing plate where it has contact with the calipr piston and caliper arms. Also the metal flat pieces the caliper sits against- clean and lube well
Then the unthreaded part of the caliper mounting bolts and the tab end of pads where they sit in the bracket.
All should slide freely when assembled