Bags vs. Coilovers in our TL's?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2001, 03:08 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bags vs. Coilovers in our TL's?

What would u guys recomend, air bags or coilovers? I don't know what it is but I haven't seen not even one TL with bags. Could somebody recomend a site where i can find out more info regarding air bag suspensions? Thanx
Old 10-04-2001, 03:33 PM
Burning Brakes

Krooz-international sells canovers and Skipper sells hydraulics for the TL. Compared to coilovers your cost will be allot more with bags or hyd.
Old 10-04-2001, 03:38 PM
Burning Brakes

Air Bags:

You would have to replace your whole stock suspension. With air bags you can't make any quick sudden/ sharp turns. As well, you would also need to have your air bags maintanced (about each year) just to make sure the air pressure and etc. are right. Air bags won't fit in our cars; you would get air shocks which is basically the same thing except its a tube (shock) of air oppose to a bag of air (they do samething, same purpose).

Advantage: No work needed to adjust ride height, all done with a simple push of a button, can go much lower then coilovers.

Disadvantage: Maintanced, no sharp quick sudden turns, cost air shocks don't run cheap.

Coilovers (complete coiloves ex. NEX, APEXi, TEAL)

You would also have to replace your whole stock suspension. With coilovers you can however make quick turns and you also have better control of your ride oppose to air bags.

Advantage: better control of ride

Disadvantage: requires work to adjust ride hieght
Old 10-04-2001, 04:30 PM
Suzuka Master

I would highly recommend getting the Coilovers vs. Bags...well it also depends on what u want out of your car?

Are u gonna attend shows only?
Or are u gonna be a streetracer?
Old 10-04-2001, 05:12 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
IMO, bags are usually for show. But for everyday driving, you are better off with the coilovers. I have the Apexi Coilovers and it is great. I can take corners much faster then before, which I really wanted.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:27 PM
Racer

Originally posted by bdimc2001
I would highly recommend getting the Coilovers vs. Bags...well it also depends on what u want out of your car?

Are u gonna attend shows only?
Or are u gonna be a streetracer?
I'M NOT GONNA ATTEND ANY SHOWS, ITS MORE LIKE A STREETRACER. WHAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION WITH THE BAGS WAS THE FACT THAT I COULD CONTROL THE HEIGHT WITH A PUSH OF A BUTTON.

EVERYBODY, THANX FOR YOUR REPLIES, IT WAS A GREAT HELP.
Old 10-04-2001, 07:50 PM
Suzuka Master

Originally posted by 3.2-TL

I'M NOT GONNA ATTEND ANY SHOWS, ITS MORE LIKE A STREETRACER. WHAT CAUGHT MY ATTENTION WITH THE BAGS WAS THE FACT THAT I COULD CONTROL THE HEIGHT WITH A PUSH OF A BUTTON.

EVERYBODY, THANX FOR YOUR REPLIES, IT WAS A GREAT HELP.
AAAHHHHH you are blinding me! could u please keep the caps lock off...

Yea if u don't do shows, it's not worth it getting the bags. Go for the Coilovers, Tim sells the Zeal and the Apexi Coilovers for our TL, those are the only two that I would recommend...NEX also, but he doesnt' sell it. the Zeal is a bit pricey IMO but if u want all out performance then go for it...I mean u can do with Apexi just fine.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:33 PM
Racer

Originally posted by bdimc2001

AAAHHHHH you are blinding me! could u please keep the caps lock off...

Yea if u don't do shows, it's not worth it getting the bags. Go for the Coilovers, Tim sells the Zeal and the Apexi Coilovers for our TL, those are the only two that I would recommend...NEX also, but he doesnt' sell it. the Zeal is a bit pricey IMO but if u want all out performance then go for it...I mean u can do with Apexi just fine.
Sorry about the caps , yeah I'll definately go for the coilovers.

Thanx again for your help.
Old 10-04-2001, 08:34 PM
Drifting

Vision: I think the word you meant to write is "maintenance". Why can't you take fast corners on air bags?
Old 10-04-2001, 09:03 PM
Burning Brakes

sorry for the typo, was in a rush...

You can't take fast corners with air bags (air shocks) because there's no leeway with air shocks. Air shocks are nothing more then a metal cylinder tube filled with air. Imagine, just having a rod for your suspension when you take a sharp, quick, or hard turn a lot of force is applied to the rod the rod doesn't have spring to absorb the force. The rode will have to bend or even break due to the force. Where as, coilover you have springs to give and take and shocks to absorb any other impacts.