Bad Experience with Bobamitez's Headlights

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2003, 09:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bad Experience with Bobamitez's Headlights

Well this was probably the WORST purchase that I have experienced from somebody on the boards. I've bought rims on the net and my steering wheel without a problem. Anyways, before I bought these I requested a pic from Bobamitez to see how the lights look from inside the hood. He said he didn't have a digital camera. But some of you guys might remember he would always post pics of his car with threads like, "After all the work, is it really worth it" And don't forget the thread where his subject line was "X" and he posted pics of his dash light but then when people asked him how he did it, he said that his friend wouldn't let him say anything about it.

Ok anyways, so when I received the lights, I thought they were ghetto rigged. So I asked for him to exchage his lights back, but he said that he messed with his lights and they were messed up. So I just said screw(insert different word if necessary) it until now that I just showed somebody the pics and they recommended I post about it. Bobamitez is one shady mofo.

1999TL

Old 08-01-2003, 09:14 AM
VOTE OUT THE BUSH REGIME

what's the deal? I'm still wondering why your pissed... Is it because their protruding into the engine bay more than the stock ones? You should have already known that since the X5 projectors are a bit long.

I've heard him say in a few posts that it wasn't pretty under the engine bay but who cares they look great from outside.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Instructor

can we see the pics with the headlights in action? i mean as long as it looks good from the outside and if u dont open ur hood to often (unless u gotz the supercharger ) i would think its ok that they're ghetto rigged and u can only see it inside the engine compartment
Old 08-01-2003, 10:05 AM
Instructor

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
that guy is really weird. he posts something then doesnt tell anyone how he did it. i think he wants money for all his ideas

the lights are definately ghetto rigged
Old 08-01-2003, 10:12 AM
Peach Tea

lol dang, show outside pics joooooo
Old 08-01-2003, 10:58 AM
Three Wheelin'

that's ghetto alright... show some outside pics....
Old 08-01-2003, 11:00 AM
Super Troll

if you have to pay for something atleast make it nice.. why pay for some that is ghetto rigged... i hope you didnt pay to mcuh for it..
Old 08-01-2003, 11:13 AM
Banned

Is that Renyolds wrap around the housing?? :wtf:
Defin post some front end pics though.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Banned

Thats looks horrible. twisty ties? Alum. Foil? Cutting off your windshield washer resv top. YUCK. Didn't NSXNEXT get a set done by Bobamitez?
Old 08-01-2003, 11:34 AM
boo

I feel ya man. Looks like **** regardless if its under the hood. If it was my civic its fine. But not on the TL.
Old 08-01-2003, 11:50 AM
Three Wheelin'

I will say one thing... he went all out to state this problem... Same exact thing on that "other" site... I kinda feel bad for bob if this is an isolated incident... If not, let him burn!!!!
Old 08-01-2003, 12:19 PM
Burning Brakes

umm, he said that is chrome tape. Another problem I had was that he made it seem that he broke a LITTLE piece off the driver's side headlight. He said that I could only see it looking straight above it. So I thought it was a chip. When I got the headlight I was like WTF right away. A big piece of reflector is missing.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:26 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 1,080 Likes on 661 Posts
Originally posted by hzm82
Thats looks horrible. twisty ties? Alum. Foil? Cutting off your windshield washer resv top. YUCK. Didn't NSXNEXT get a set done by Bobamitez?
Nope not me. From the looks of these I wouldn't touch them. :wow:
Old 08-01-2003, 12:38 PM
Banned

oops sorry Niel, i remember some1 getting their HID jacked and got customs from Bobamitez.
Old 08-01-2003, 12:41 PM
Burning Brakes

Ok, another thing. The way he sealed up the headlights the highbeams point up towards the sky. When I asked him about that, he said he never used the high beams so he doesn't know.....
Old 08-01-2003, 02:56 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That surely looks terrible from the inside (of course we are all waiting for you to send pics of what it looks like outside) but my question to you is WHY did you mount these things? AS for the wire ties in the pics, that HAD to be something that you did because the lights are installed in your car. Why did you need to use wire ties to hold the lights on, if all he did was modify the reflector to house projector bulbs? How where the mounting tabs effected? As for your cutting off the top of the washer fluid filler - thats just
Old 08-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Burning Brakes

They look like this

And that is his car. Like I said, I asked for pictures BEFORE i bought them and he said he didn't have a digital camera. But he sent me those right when he sent off the lights. I don't have wire ties in mine so the lights move up and down all the time. Well I guess he didn't tell me that's what the wire ties were for, but it makes sense. I just don't have any that long.
Old 08-01-2003, 04:51 PM
Three Wheelin'

Well i take it indirectly from your reply that he broke the original mounting tabs off the lights. Aside from wire ties, there is probably a way you can make some better bracketing starting with 1/16" metal strap you can buy at the Home Depot. Then with a bit of time and effort, you should be able to bend the strapping to make brakets that bolt to the car and grab around the light housing. Of course, if you cant aim the projectors, then the whole exercise seems pointless. After all, the main reason for lighting is so you can see where you are driving at night.

One other question: With the HID lights on the TL being so strong, why would did you even bother with projector beam idea to begin with? Some people replace the OEM bulbs with even brighter 6000K, but even out of the factory, the headlights are better than most cars on the road....

Oh an incidently, the foil tape he wrapped around the rear of the reflectors is normally used for sealing up metal or flexible heating and AC ductwork in a home HVAC system. (also available at the Home Depot). I recognized it immediately because i used a whole case of it when i moved to my house and had to fix up the AC ductwork in the attic the prior owner had crushed when she cleaned out the attic. Contrary to its name, any HVAC pro will tell you that Duct Tape (the flexible grey stuff with the fibers in it is good for alot of things but never for repairing ductwork) I assume he used the metal foil tape to hold the projectors on. Its grip is better than most tape, but even it has its limits.

I feel for you on this one because you were duped, and if you lived closer to me, i'd help you fix up that mess. I was always known as "Mr. Brackets" when i was a professional car audio installer, as custom bracketing was an area that i was king at.
Old 08-02-2003, 12:19 AM
OG

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
Damn Mike, you got hosed. How did you pay him...through Paypal?
Old 08-02-2003, 12:44 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL

One other question: With the HID lights on the TL being so strong, why would did you even bother with projector beam idea to begin with? Some people replace the OEM bulbs with even brighter 6000K, but even out of the factory, the headlights are better than most cars on the road....
People retro fit Projectors because they want to achieve a look. If you see a car with projectors coming at you at night, it looks kinda like the color is changing. People are not putting projectors in to achieve more lumes but purely for looks. Retro fitted projectors probably have lower light output then stock headlights.

Your other comment is totally wrong, You will not achieve a brighter headlight by buying 6000k bulbs. Light output drops dramatically after 5000k (natural sunlight) and thats why if you buy a 8000k bulb, you might as well not have headlights on at night. 6000k is ok because the light output hasn't dramtically dropped but lumes output is lower then stock 4100k. Why do people buy 6000k bulbs if its dimmer? For looks. They want more blue/purple in their HID.

So its not that our HID are not bright that he wants projectors headlights.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:06 AM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by hzm82
So its not that our HID are not bright that he wants projectors headlights.
Well, he wanted projectors and i guess thats what he's got now...
although i honestly dont understand why that "look" would be more desirable in the first place. Plus you cant adjust the aiming when you simply cut out the back of the reflector and shove a projector in so function doesnt even follow form on this one.
- There are plenty of mods one can do, and to each his (or her) own i guess. Projectors are a sh|tty mod for the TL, especially if the only way to even do it is in such a rinky-dink manner.
Old 08-02-2003, 01:28 AM
Banned

Originally posted by 2002acuraTL
Well, he wanted projectors and i guess thats what he's got now...
although i honestly dont understand why that "look" would be more desirable in the first place. Plus you cant adjust the aiming when you simply cut out the back of the reflector and shove a projector in so function doesnt even follow form on this one.
- There are plenty of mods one can do, and to each his (or her) own i guess. Projectors are a sh|tty mod for the TL, especially if the only way to even do it is in such a rinky-dink manner.
Yeah I agree......I'm happy with my non-projector HID. Lets just hope these are aimmed properly so it won't blind oncoming traffic.
Old 08-02-2003, 05:19 AM
Burning Brakes

I paid with a money order. Anyways, the aiming on these lights blind ppl because I just have them stuck in there, and when I hit a bump it moves up and starts pointing to the sky. So when I want to adjust it back, I go to the hood and push them down again. LOL, it's bootleg when I think about it. I guess I need some long wire ties like Bobamitez. On second thought, I never should have needed them.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:20 AM
Banned

you should of made your own... how much did he charge you for them? a lesson to everyone... NEVER BUY ANYTHING WITHOUT ENOUGH PICS TO SATISFY YOU.
Old 08-02-2003, 10:30 AM
Banned

I would bend up a sheet metal mounting bracket to keep them pointing the right direction.... plus the bracket would hide the mess underneath.