Back again... This time I curbed my wheel

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2016 | 10:55 PM
Banned

Back again... This time I curbed my wheel

So long story short I was turning right and a guy out of nowhere pops in my lane while I'm turning forcing me to turn sharper and my rear right wheel to scrap the curb which took a small chunk of rubber off my tire... No wires or anything are showing and I attached some pics but do I really need to replace the tire? I mean I just spent $700 on them a year ago and they have prob 60% tread left. The damaged part is not that deep really just enough to fit the tip of my small to average size index finger in it and my nail doesn't really touch the tire. But what would y'all do? It would cost me $260 to both rear since I'd rather do it in pairs
And I really don't even have the money. But I guess it is what it is cause shit happens...
Attached Thumbnails Back again... This time I curbed my wheel-image.jpeg  

Last edited by 02tlnate; 01-28-2016 at 10:57 PM.
Old 01-30-2016 | 10:16 PM
10th Gear

When I had my 4Runner I drove it for 10k with a chunk of the sidewall missing. I wouldn't worry too much about it but if you're really concerned with it I'd stop into a tire shop but not a dealer and have a tech, not a dealer service writer look at it since service writers will say just about anything to write a new ticket.
Old 01-30-2016 | 11:41 PM
Banned

That's good to hear, I actually took it to a used tire shop and already bought a brand new Nexen tire and waited 20 mins for the tire installer guy and he said he doesn't think I should worry about it and just keep rotating my tires like usual. Then the owner came out, looked at it and said, it will weaken over time but I said I drive 20k a year and he said I'd prob wear out the tread before it gets to the point. But said to keep an eye for the tire knotting in that area.
Old 01-31-2016 | 12:41 AM
10th Gear

Originally Posted by 02tlnate
That's good to hear, I actually took it to a used tire shop and already bought a brand new Nexen tire and waited 20 mins for the tire installer guy and he said he doesn't think I should worry about it and just keep rotating my tires like usual. Then the owner came out, looked at it and said, it will weaken over time but I said I drive 20k a year and he said I'd prob wear out the tread before it gets to the point. But said to keep an eye for the tire knotting in that area.
Yeah it could be more possible to have problems with these cars and their tires since the sidewalls are so low profile (Espically on mine with the type s 17's). I've already had a bulge in one of my tires since Atlanta doesn't know what road maintenance is. I really need to get down and dirty and sand down all the curb rash on my rims and get some new center caps since the plastic over the logos is peeling on all of them. But before any of that it's all going to be maintenance. Bought the car with no history but stole it for $2k with 129k. No major accidents (aka none of the bumpers or body work has been replaced) but it needs a paint job desperately. It'd look really good in maroon/ red but it'd bother my OCD too much without the door jambs and everything else not color matches. Anyways I'll quit my rambling lol.