B7WA and MGSA transmission compatibility question.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2016, 09:36 PM
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Question B7WA and MGSA transmission compatibility question.

Hello guys,

I received my replacement transmission from my seller that had sent me a bad one on the first go around.

The first transmission came with a JDM Type S Engine, it was a combo purchase and the transmission was a B7WA.

Yesterday the replacement transmission that arrived was a MGSA.

It appears to be the same transmission with a couple of exceptions.

One there is no speed sensor from the Power Steering Column it just has a o ring plug keeping the hole covered and when I pulled it out I noticed there was no gear inside like the B7WA transmission had.

I just took out the speed sensor and jumped a loop over line like in the AV6 swap (hope this works).

The other thing I found out......THE HARD WAY!

Is that the torque is definitely different and I didn't notice it until I had it bolted up and noticed that the Torque Converter would not line up with the mating plate on the engine side and then had to take it back down.

I put the original Torque Converter from the B7WA and everything lines up now.

Is there anything I've missed or need to change out for this to work?

I put all new solenoids and sensors from the other transmission onto this one (MGSA) and everything plugs up correctly harness wise.

This whole thing has been nothing short of a nightmare for me and I'm praying that this transmission will work......

I really need the car back and this is going on a month now working on the damn thing!!
Old 01-26-2016, 10:01 PM
Instructor

Looks like I found my answers here:

https://acurazine.com/forums/second-...ng-tlc-915938/

Sorry guys I wish I would have seen this prior to posting.
Old 01-26-2016, 10:23 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Did the MGSA bring a flex plate bolted the converter ? If so you should be able to swap the flex plate. Were you able test the B7WA converter ? remember the fluid was not in good condition.
I would go for a new converter if nothing else works out.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:07 PM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
Did the MGSA bring a flex plate bolted the converter ? If so you should be able to swap the flex plate. Were you able test the B7WA converter ? remember the fluid was not in good condition.
I would go for a new converter if nothing else works out.

No flex plate came with it so I really didn't have a choice but to use the other Torque Converter, I did drain it as best I could to get rid of the old fluid.

I should be ready to test it tomorrow, it's already bolted up and I just have a few more things to do.

The fluid was really dark with this MGSA tranny as well, I have some pictures below, if this one doesn't work out I am going to tell the seller I want half my money refunded and then go for an AV6.

I'll post some pictures of the MGSA replacement in the next post.
Old 01-26-2016, 11:20 PM
Instructor

Here's some pictures:

Fluid looks dark but the plug looked way better than the first Tranny with just a few shavings.

All the solenoids were pulled replaced but the screens on each one pulled looked good, also the speed sensors were really clean and without metal shavings.

What do you think ErickUa5??

Old 01-26-2016, 11:56 PM
Mr.Helpful Diagram

Received 254 Likes on 220 Posts
Yea that fluid looks rough, Hopefully it shifts good and no codes, keep us posted. At least the shavings aren't that bad, I've seen worst.
Old 01-27-2016, 12:03 AM
Instructor

Originally Posted by ErickUa5
Yea that fluid looks rough, Hopefully it shifts good and no codes, keep us posted. At least the shavings aren't that bad, I've seen worst.
I called the guy right after the Transmission arrived and I drained the fluid and told him WTF!!

They told me they would definitely get me a good looking tranny (fluid wise) and it doesn't look good at all.

I told him I was afraid to install it from initial inspection but he said I would have to install and test before we could do anything else.

This article gives me a little hope:

AGCO Automotive Repair Service - Baton Rouge, LA - Detailed Auto Topics - The Color of Automatic Transmission Fluid

Hopefully it's just dirty and the tranny performs ok.

I'll keep you guys posted.

Last edited by DJMikeT; 01-27-2016 at 12:11 AM.