Avoid Speeding Tickets ????

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2001, 05:08 PM
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Avoid Speeding Tickets ????

I recently purchased my '99 TL, and about two weeks after getting it, I decide to head to the beach at night with my brother and some of his friends. They loved the car and wanted to see the sportshifter in action. So i get on to the expressway, and take off. I was now doing 80mph and thanks to the electrochromic rearview mirror, was not able to see the state trooper tailgaiting me. As soon as i realized he was behind me, his lights went off. Next thing i know i have a $173 speeding ticket. Anyways....now I'm in the market for a radar detector to see if i can somehow avoid this in the future. Can anyone help me out ?? I need some suggestions on what model I should get and wether or not it works. I'd appreciate all the help I can get. Thanks everyone.

-volleyballprep-
Old 10-08-2001, 05:31 PM
Purchased: April 28, 2001

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Avoid Speeding Tickets ????

Originally posted by volleyballprep
As soon as i realized he was behind me, his lights went off. Next thing i know i have a $173 speeding ticket.
If he was tailing you the whole time then a radar detector wouldnt have done anything. It's mainly used for warning you of potential speed traps.
Old 10-08-2001, 05:51 PM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Well, I don't think a detector will help you in this case...
Old 10-08-2001, 06:00 PM
O.G.

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Avoid Speeding Tickets ????

Originally posted by volleyballprep
I decide to head to the beach at night with my brother and some of his friends. I was now doing 80mph and thanks to the electrochromic rearview mirror, was not able to see the state trooper tailgaiting me
First of all, why is your rearview mirror glare sensor on at night? No wonder you couldn't see the trooper. Even during sunny days I don't use it because I have tints on my back window.
Like everybody have been saying, if a trooper is tailgating you, a radar detector is not going to help you.
Old 10-08-2001, 10:22 PM
Race Director

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Maybe not...

Police has tried for years to sneak up behind me to no avail. That's because my radar detector usually warns me before they can get close enough to either clock me or pace me. Rare have I noticed a cop trying to sneak up on me, I'm usually going too fast for that and can easily notice any car going that much faster than me. Of course I live in Kansas where there aren't a lot of cars speeding and the police tool around with radar always on, so YMMV.

1.Trooper parked on the on-ramp, clocking traffic from behind as it comes out the other side, underneath the overpass. Radar detector should warn you before you get clocked. He may have already clocked you and had to do 100mph just to catch up to you.

2.If the Trooper notices you speeding up ahead, he will have to speed up to try to catch up to you. Of course, you didn't see him approaching you from behind but your radar detector can because he has his radar ON and it's broadcasting everywhere.

If an unmarked, no radar cop paces you from behind, (at a distance) chances are you are pretty much screwed regardless. Unless you are very, very vigilent. Get a V1 radar detector and get some protection.
Old 11-18-2001, 10:01 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
If you are interested, I am selling my Valentine One Radar Detector in the for sale forum, and the V1 is the best of the best.