Audio/Video Swap Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 06:12 PM
Big Hitter

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio/Video Swap Question

Okay, I have watched from the side long enough. Before asking my question,
I want to say I have searched the topic and found not enough of some info
and too much on other info. So please be kind in your responses.
I have a 2003 Acura TL Type S with Navi. The stereo system is stock at this time.
I would like to replace the head unit and install a Pioneer DVH 5000 DVD/MP3
receiver and use the Navi screen for viewing. My question is what is the best
way to do the conversion? Will I have to replace the stock speakers and sub?
Is it some thing that can be done in stages to keep down expenses? If I have
to replace the speakers, what replacements will fit in the stock spaces? I don't
wish to do a lot of mods to the speaker locations. Will I need a seperate amp?
I have a friend who is very good at installing stereo equipmet. He used to do
it for a living and has a degree in electronic engineering. He can/will do the work
if I provide the type of equipment required and a detailed do it yourself instruction
for a guide. Any suggestions on speakers, subs, amps, (if needed) would be
appreciated.
I really enjoy the site. You guys are funny and smart. Thanks for the help.
Looking forward to your ideas. Might have to buy myself something nice
fo Christmas.

Sincerely,
G Kendall Clements
Georgetown Texas
Old 11-20-2004, 06:45 PM
I need 2 more gears

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
This actually is a very large modifaction. For starters you will need to replace navi screen. Trust me it will be worth it and I believe the navi screen will not work properly with a new headunit. Pioneer makes a nice dvd/cd player unit and that's not a bad choice if you can not afford the much pricier but better alpine or clarion units that are on the market. You will need to replace speakers. Blose made afwul speakers for our cars that actually sound like crap if you replace headunit. They each have individual amps and the harnesses are awful to work with. Get a 6 1/2 or 5 1/4 speaker that had shallow mounting depth as stock Blose speakers have a very shallow mounting depth approx 1 5/8". Neodymium magnet speakers are the only way to go unless you insert spacers ijn the door to compensate for the deeper mounting depth. Also the speaker opening are hard to fit an aftermarket 6 1/2" speaker even if it has a neodymium magnet. Get either Kenwood Excelon 6 1/2 or Eclipse 6 1/2" w/Neodymium and they should fit pretty good. Component speakers will sound much better of course and both make suck component speaker sets for the front that should fit. Component speakers aren't that hard to install you will have to mod the corner plastic pieces right underneath the side mirrors on the inside. I simple removal of the plastic piece and connection of the tweeter to the door frame is quite simple, but be careful. The component speaker set should come with appropriate mounting hardware. Rear speakers are also Blose 6 1/2" use same discretion, but go with regular 5 1/4 or 6 1/2 coaxial's. Same brand preference in my opion to match front speakers. The sub on the rear deck sucks anyway so just replace it because it is seperately amped it won't sound good with new headunit. I have two Orion 12" DVC's in sealed box with a 2 channel rockford amp powering them. They are 1000 watts apiece and sound awesome. The rear sub never did anything for me anyway. If you want only hard hitting bass that will fill the sound spectrum for your needs then just get an Eclipse 10" aliminum coned SVC sub rated for 1000watts also but just hits hard doesn't boom much and will last forever. Power it with a 400 watts RMS mono amp and you have a great system. For boom go with Orion, Kicker, JL Audio or Boston 12" DVC's(2) and a 2 chanell amp. Go with all top notch brands because you drive a top notch vehicle and your system should match what yoiu drive. My suggestion is Eclipse 6" component system for fronts, 6 1/2" Eclipse for rear. Alpine cda-9815 headunit. Kicker 400x2RMS amp with two Orion 12" DVC's in sealed box and your system will sound amazing. That's my dream system and I am almost there. Eclipse speakers are very high end, don't have the bogus high power ratings of other brands, their clarity is amazing, reliablitiy unbelievable and price affordable. WARNING: If you replace headunit you will have to have a custom bezzel made to fit space that headunit left(headunit if spahed very strangely) that will cost you at least 200.00. Total cost if you buy audio equipment online and your buddy can install it is between 1500-2000 dollars, not too bad for what you would be getting!