Attention! Those who have cleared headlights with moisture!

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2004, 11:20 PM
///////////

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Attention! Those who have cleared headlights with moisture!

Don't make the same mistake I did, it will cost you!!!

If you've cleared your headlights and you have a leak and a substantial amount of moisuture has gotten in there, don't just let it be, you need to take care of it ASAP!! I had a faulty seal on one of my headlights that I cleared, and made the mistake of waiting nearly two weeks after moisture got in there to attempt to reseal it. Unfortunately, the headlight is designed so that much of the moisture that remains in your headlight is channeled into your HID ballast when it condenses. As with any electronic device, this obviously is going to fry the ballast, which will cost you big $$$ to find a relpacement. In my case, my ballast fried and the following night I got pulled over and was given a summons for having one headlight out. I ended up having to pay full price for an OEM ballast at my local dealer, after already purchasing a new hid bulb (because i had foolishly immidiately assumed that was the problem).

the reason i'm posting this is because i had absolutly no idea that this could happen because there was moisture in my headlight housing, and hopefully others will read this and not have to make the same costly mistake as me....
Old 12-19-2004, 11:31 PM
boo

Good info.. I read your problem thread a few weeks ago. I'm still hesistant to do that mod to this day.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:35 PM
Banned

Thanks for the info, I'm getting ready to clear my lights over Christmas.
Old 12-19-2004, 11:36 PM
Racer

just dont be cheap with the silicone
Old 12-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Racer

same thing happen to me but im very lucky to find a set on ebay for like 400 dam whole chunk of money
Old 12-20-2004, 01:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by WHITE3.2TL-S
just dont be cheap with the silicone

if is done correctly you don't anymore silicone
Old 12-20-2004, 01:39 AM
Racer

I had the same problem and i post 2 treads about this. "Steam in headlight...HELP!!!" <----- hopefully you guys still remember it.

that's really a pain in the ass. At the beginning i leave the car out under the sun hope the steam will go away...but it didnt...it all come back in one night.

So the following weekend i took it down, use the hair dryer blowing in hot air for like 15 mins to get all the steam out, then reseal it with as much as silicone i can put on the gap.

It was all good for a day, but next day i saw little steam in it agian. I was like "f**k it" and waiting for a fried ballast. Well fortunately it has been a month i never saw any steam in it.

hopefully i wont have a fried ballast, i cant afford another $400 around this days...

So make sure reseal it properly if you guys wanna clear/ black out the headlight.
Old 12-20-2004, 10:41 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by BeemerKiller
I had the same problem and i post 2 treads about this. "Steam in headlight...HELP!!!" <----- hopefully you guys still remember it.

that's really a pain in the ass. At the beginning i leave the car out under the sun hope the steam will go away...but it didnt...it all come back in one night.

So the following weekend i took it down, use the hair dryer blowing in hot air for like 15 mins to get all the steam out, then reseal it with as much as silicone i can put on the gap.

It was all good for a day, but next day i saw little steam in it agian. I was like "f**k it" and waiting for a fried ballast. Well fortunately it has been a month i never saw any steam in it.

hopefully i wont have a fried ballast, i cant afford another $400 around this days...

So make sure reseal it properly if you guys wanna clear/ black out the headlight.

i only saw moisture once. After that, there was nothing.... even in the rain. I never resealed it.
Old 12-20-2004, 11:50 AM
Hall of Famer

Thanks for the info, I will be resealing mine this week. It sucks that there is moisture in it but it will suck even more if it messes up anything.
Old 12-20-2004, 04:03 PM
DrAnKin HeiNeKeN

i had the same problem dawg. both my headlights condensated and i thought it will jus go away. it did but it kept on condensatin over and over again. then the condensation lead to water and it got into my ballasts and blew them out. so now im lookin for an aftermarket HID kit for my car beacuse tha damnn dealer tryna charge mee a arm and a leg for their kit. so yea watch out for condensation in the headlights. if it happens then open them up again and reseal them better. thats what i did and they aint condensatin no more. well i gotta wait and see....
Old 12-21-2004, 12:49 AM
NBP

i have never modded my headlights, but I have had my stock driver side light replaced twice due to moisture/leak and bulbs going out. thank god for warranty....