ATT. everyone w/factory security sys, plz read. (pic)

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2001, 01:39 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation ATT. everyone w/factory security sys, plz read. (pic)

We've just recovered stolen vehicle. Brand new 01 Accord Coupe.
They really ripe it.
Sorry for lots of pic..

Old 09-27-2001, 01:42 PM
Three Wheelin'

Damn they really stripped that one!
Old 09-27-2001, 01:45 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Here is my point......
As you look at the pic here, the Horn wore has been disconnected.. Because they knew if they break into the car, horn will honk. Smart huh? They disconnect the horn wire, break the passenger side glass and boom! That's it.
Our security system is almost identical as Accord..so I am thinking that we gotta ready for this kind of incident. I am going to move the horn where somebody can't reach from underneath other than taking out the bumper.. That sucks!!
Old 09-27-2001, 03:34 PM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Does the Accord have the Immobilizer feature? By seeing the milke crate in one of the pictures, it looks as if they may have driven it to and from where it was stripped.

I was told by a security shop that the only thing lacking in cars that have the Immobilizer (chip in the key) and a factory alarm, is a shock sensor.

Assuming it had the Immobilizer and it was driven (not towed), is the only way you can steal the car is to get a duplicate key made?
Old 09-27-2001, 03:58 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by goaub
Assuming it had the Immobilizer and it was driven (not towed), is the only way you can steal the car is to get a duplicate key made?
Do not trust the Immobilizer too much, buddy....I post this because we can have the Back-Up Plans for this later...

Just like the vehicle manufacture gets smarter & smarter....and the thief getting even smarter..
Old 09-27-2001, 04:01 PM
Banned

Originally posted by songoku

Do not trust the Immobilizer too much, buddy....I post this because we can have the Back-Up Plans for this later...
??? I'm not trusting it, I'm asking if it is possible to bypass it.

What do you mean by "Back-Up Plans"?
Old 09-27-2001, 04:09 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

What do you mean by "Back-Up Plans"?
I am going to move the horn where somebody can't reach from underneath other than taking out the bumper..
this way.....my horn will work when somebody try to break in to my car.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:13 PM
Banned

this way.....my horn will work when somebody try to break in to my car.
Ok that will take care of someone not being able to cut your horn, but that doesn't prevent them from starting the car if they can bypass the Immobilizer.

Most people ignore honking horns anyway.

So can the Immobilizer be bypassed?
Old 09-27-2001, 04:14 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
oh ****! I never thought it's that simple! I have heard several instances that the factory alarm does not go off for some reason. But the horn thing....
Old 09-27-2001, 04:27 PM
Banned

You guys act like all this is new!!! Think of it this way...if they want your car...they'll steal it. Nothing you can do about it...Lo-Jack or not....Would I waste my time with a tow truck for a TL??? Not likely...parts for European cars are far more valuable...the immobilizer does the trick for our car. Besides...a horn can be silenced with a magnet from a subwoofer...
If you still really want the horn to go off..install one INSIDE the car...and set it as loud as you possibly can...at least it'll annoy the **** out of them...oh yeah...be sure to install the extra battery in the truck so they can't just disconnect the power.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:43 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Ok that will take care of someone not being able to cut your horn, but that doesn't prevent them from starting the car if they can bypass the Immobilizer.

Most people ignore honking horns anyway.

So can the Immobilizer be bypassed?
I am sure it can be bypassed..
But think about this way.... If they break-in your car w/o disarming the security system, the horn will honk. If the horn is disconnected, nothing will happen. That simple! After that we gonna have to worry about if immobilizer will work or not because they can just steal what ever inside the car like Headunit, NAV, etc w/o stealing the whole car.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:46 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by moomaster_99
if they want your car...they'll steal it. Nothing you can do about it...Lo-Jack or not....
Oh yes.....I forgot this pic. Looks like there WAS Lo-Jack on the steering wheel which didn't do anything.
Old 09-27-2001, 04:57 PM
Banned

Oh yes.....I forgot this pic. Looks like there WAS Lo-Jack on the steering wheel which didn't do anything.
That wasn't Lo-Jack, it's The Club. They obviously cut through the steering wheel to remove The Club.

Lo-Jack is a transmitter that is installed in your car and is turned on once you report the is stolen. The police then track it down.

By the way, what I've heard is that one way the thieves get around Lo-Jack is that after swiping a car, they'll park it somewhere, like a mall lot or somewhere else where it will blend in and not be noticed. They'll leave it there for a day or two. If the cops don't show up, they get back in and drive off.

In some cases, law enforcement is getting smart and staking out these cars when they find them. When the thieves return, they get arrested.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:01 PM
Banned

I am sure it can be bypassed..
But think about this way.... If they break-in your car w/o disarming the security system, the horn will honk. If the horn is disconnected, nothing will happen. That simple! After that we gonna have to worry about if immobilizer will work or not because they can just steal what ever inside the car like Headunit, NAV, etc w/o stealing the whole car.
You're correct, but you can't strip a car down like this one in a shopping mall parking lot. They obviously drove it away and did this which brings me to my original question. Do Honda Accords have Immobilizers? If so and this car had one, then it was either bypassed or someone was able to get a duplicate key made?
Old 09-27-2001, 05:12 PM
Banned

Immobilizer

Found some info on Edmunds.

Immobilizer became available in the Accord in 2001 (2000 on the TL).

So in order to get my original question answered, any guess on what year the pictured Accord is? I know it's the 4-cyl, but that doesn't tell me much since in '01 the Immobilizer was available in all trim levels.

Can you tell I'm on a mission?
Old 09-27-2001, 05:36 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

I think their info is off a little bit.

The 2000 V6 Accords have the immobolizer. I'm not sure if there was a difference b/w the I4 and the V6 Accords though.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:36 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Hey, goaub!
You're right...It was the CLUB... I confused...

It's 2001 ACCORD EX COUPE 4Cyl. I said it at the first time.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:40 PM
Banned

Hey, goaub!
You're right...It was the CLUB... I confused...

It's 2001 ACCORD EX COUPE 4Cyl. I said it at the first time.
You did mention it. Sorry about that.

Well that's interesting.

Well they either figured out a way around the Immobilizer or they got a hold of the keys or had duplicates made.

Any info on how it was stolen? Like lost keys or keys still in the ignition or was it just parked somewhere.

I know if you supply a VIN any dealer can cut you a key, but many of them now want identification before a key is made.

If not all dealers require this, then nothing can stop you from walking up to a car that you notice at your work, getting the VIN and having a key made. Next time you see the car, just hop in and drive off.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:41 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Originally posted by BNut
I think their info is off a little bit.

The 2000 V6 Accords have the immobolizer. I'm not sure if there was a difference b/w the I4 and the V6 Accords though.
The GREEN KEY indicator on the gauge is for immobolizer? If it's yes, I know 99 ACCORD has one, too.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:42 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

The GREEN KEY indicator on the gauge is for immobolizer? If it's yes, I know 99 ACCORD has one, too.
Yes, you are correct.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:48 PM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Any info on how it was stolen?
Nope!
The customer says that he street parked at night and it was gone next morning...Only the broken pieces of glass on the street. And he got a call from the LAPD 3~4 days later that they found the car on the street and impounded to LAPD lot. That's all I've heard.
Old 09-27-2001, 05:52 PM
Drifting

Received 117 Likes on 99 Posts
Re: Immobilizer

Found some info on Edmunds.

Immobilizer became available in the Accord in 2001 (2000 on the TL).

So in order to get my original question answered, any guess on what year the pictured Accord is? I know it's the 4-cyl, but that doesn't tell me much since in '01 the Immobilizer was available in all trim levels.

Can you tell I'm on a mission?
My 1998 Accord EXV6 has the immobilizer and chip in the key. I have a co-worker who has a 1998 Accord coupe LX , I4, and hers also has the immobizer. I do not believe pre 1998 Accords had the immobilizer. FYI.
Old 09-27-2001, 06:28 PM
Suzuka Master

my new 2001 civic LX even has an immobilizer. i think its standard now on honda/acura's.
Old 09-27-2001, 07:02 PM
Burning Brakes

Received 123 Likes on 99 Posts
To get this straight. All 6th gen Accords should have immobilizer, as this is a device explained in the Helm service manual without the V6 supplement, but in the standard thick book.
Old 09-28-2001, 03:30 AM
Burning Brakes

immobilizer info

Ok, I've done some research on the Immobilizer system before. The way it works is that there's a circuit chip in the head of your key that is checked through an RF pulse that activates when you first switch your key into the on position. The chip is a passive system which modulates the RF and redirects it to a receiving ring in the ignition keyswitch. The signal is carried and decoded by the ECU which either grants or denies access. If access is denied, the ECU refuses to process fuel injection signals and the engine cannot be started.

A dealer cannot reissue a new key for your car simply based on your VIN. Each key has its own permanent, unique transponder code, it is the the ECU that is capable of learning several different codes and allows several different keys to be used.

The Immobilizer system that Acura/Honda uses in its cars is a very high quality theft deterrent system. It has made the art of stealing these cars much more difficult, beyond the scope of the average amateur. The security system in the car is decent, but has the major flaws of lacking a shock sensor,lacking a code-hopping remote, disarms when the lock cylinder is physically picked, and has a poorly placed horn.

Bottom line: Can the Immobilizer system be defeated? Absolutely. I know how to do it, but prefer not to discuss it online. I'll just say that it involes a little bit of work. However, I emphasize that the Immobilizer system is hard to defeat and provides pretty decent security.

-Josh
Old 09-28-2001, 11:23 AM
BlingBling INSPIRE 32V

Re: immobilizer info

Originally posted by bebber
Bottom line: Can the Immobilizer system be defeated? Absolutely. I know how to do it, but prefer not to discuss it online. I'll just say that it involes a little bit of work. However, I emphasize that the Immobilizer system is hard to defeat and provides pretty decent security.

-Josh
Really??? There isn't really such a way to protect our car from the theft, nowadays. We just gonna have to sit and see who is the un-lucky one.
Old 09-28-2001, 12:36 PM
Banned

Re: immobilizer info

Originally posted by bebber

-Josh
Thanks for the info.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:10 PM
Banned

Re: Re: immobilizer info

Really??? There isn't really such a way to protect our car from the theft, nowadays. We just gonna have to sit and see who is the un-lucky one.
You're kidding right!?! Don't be so naive as to think that you can do anything more than to deter a thief. If someone wants something bad enough...all you have to do is think of the WTC tragedy.
Old 09-28-2001, 01:32 PM
Instructor

I agree with the premise that there is nothing anyone can do to prevent a DETERMINED thief from stealing anything, and I mean anything.

However, you can deter people by making it difficult enough to not be worth their effort....
Old 09-28-2001, 02:26 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by UFCen2000
I agree with the premise that there is nothing anyone can do to prevent a DETERMINED thief from stealing anything, and I mean anything.

However, you can deter people by making it difficult enough to not be worth their effort....
Yep, which is why I got a Clifford alarm with backup siren, pager, and a secret security measure which I won't say online. The only way the scumbags can take my TL is if they tow it. We have a tracking system similar to Lo-jack here in Canada (called Boomerang), and I might consider getting it if I decide to turn my TL into a competition car. But as is, my TL is completely stock, and my security system more than adequate. I posted in another thread about a break-in into my 93 Camry several years back when I was in school. Four guys in a Mustang tried to break into my competition car, but couldn't get past my hood lock and Alpine 8080 with every single security option you can think of except for strobe lights and smoky gas (I had pager, piezzo sirens inside, 3 alarms, 1 backup siren, shock/glass sensors, motion/tilt detector, etc). They took off alright! The question you have to ask yourself is how extreme do you want to go to protect your ride? If you make your car so difficult to break in, they're not gonna mess with your car. Too much trouble.
Old 09-28-2001, 03:22 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thats why I got a Clifford Alarm with built-in anticarjacking & other sensors. All we can do is try to prevent auto theft. I always say watch were you park & don't leave items of value in sight.
You also need to keep your registration in your wallet or pocketbook not in the car. There are plenty of things people can do to help prevent auto theft. People leave thier keys in the ignition & the car runnig left unattended. People use magnetic boxes with spare keys inside on the car. It all depends on what kind thefts your area is prone to. This area has alot of auto theft break ins & also carjackinngs this is why I got Blackjax anticarjacking feature thats built-in to the Clifford instead of a Lojack Tracking system. I was less worried about someone townig the car to steal it than a carjacking to steal it. To me this system works better than Lojack because it recovers the car in just feet not miles away if taken. I still say if they steal chop off a finger our two.
Old 09-29-2001, 05:46 AM
Banned

Cool The ultimate car alarm solution

Too bad I can't keep my mouth shut...I'm gonna blow all my ideas I'm gonna show off at IASCA...guys go look at my other post and see if you can answer any of my other Q's...it's the post about having a "Brand Spanking New" TL-S...think about what I posted in my other thread:

Replacing the key locks and ignition with thumbprint recognition...you can't mess with/rip out that. Additionally you run the whole d@mn power circuit of the car through a computer that will immobilize it if it's not initialized correctly. As an update to my post...this morning (4 AM) I was physically able to tap into the braking system to get them to lockdown and immobilize the car (sorry, until I finish it I'm not telling how )...and last but not least...for those of us (like me) that are car audio freaks...having about 12 Farads of capacitance, enough to kill two full grown men holding hands, in a car can be useful if you route it through a wire mesh cage around your goods...

|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|
|_|_|_|_|_|_|

So you go get a wire mesh cage and alternate the polarity...coat it with a highly conductive goo...and if the b@stards touch it...boom, instant dead thief. Just a thought

Austin519
Old 09-29-2001, 02:25 PM
Pro

A clifford alarm and a back-up siren prevented the raping of my previous car while I was at the theatres in my old car! they ripped out the back-up siren, but to their surprise, it was still wailing away along with the original siren and the horn! I think the aftermarket alarms are worth it. It may not totally prevent your car from being stolen but at least the small petty theives won't touch the car if they see that blue/red light blinking.
Old 09-29-2001, 02:30 PM
Safety Car

I'm putting a Kill Switch in ma TL when I get it
cleverly hidden awawy somewhere
Old 09-30-2001, 12:40 AM
Three Wheelin'

Re: The ultimate car alarm solution

Originally posted by Austin519
Too bad I can't keep my mouth shut...I'm gonna blow all my ideas I'm gonna show off at IASCA...
Austin, is IASCA still providing bonus points or something for tricked out alarm system? I haven't competed in a few years, so I'm not up to snuff with the new rules. Even with a tricked out alarm, the main focus and points getter is still SQ and install. BTW, are you an alarm/car stereo installer? What's your shop called? If I build another system in the future, I might pay you a visit to install one of those "bye bye thief" system.
Old 09-30-2001, 01:30 AM
Banned

Cool

Patrick:
Good question. They did change the rules, and I'm not altogether too familiar if they specifically give points for that...however "total install quality" is part of it...and this of course would fall in that category. They want to see you put work in it. Besides...after the crap I do to it I need that type of alarm...to top it all off...my brother's Jeep got ripped into last night...they took out $5000 of equipment (he's got more cash than I) including 3 screens, DVD player, A/V unit, two heads, three Infinity Kappa 12" subs, two Rockford Fosgate 800a2P's, and other miscellaneous stuff. So yeah, alarm system definitely going in car...

I am a car stereo/alarm/whatever you want installer. However I do it freelance (and make a lot more cash that way too...without going to work, hey I'm a student) and have been for a few years now. By all means pay me a visit but only after I stop BSing and actually get this thing moving...

Another note PLEASE GOD someone answer my questions...I need advice so bad I'm about to wet my pants. Seriously, I think I'm going to get an AEM Cold Air Intake for $160 from a shop online...they come in red, silver, and blue yes? Probably go with the silver. I assume they're the best out there. Also, what are the pro's and cons of cold air vs. ram air? And will any of this stuff not fit under my hood? If I grab that comptech supercharger when it comes out...do this AEM Cold Air...maybe a 50 shot NOS kit...any of this going to not fit with everything else? I'm on my knees, moderators! Somebody!!!

Austin519
Old 09-30-2001, 11:15 AM
Intermediate

Make sure you cover you VIN (windshield one). If the car does not have the chip in the key, all the need is the VIN and if you have some connections at the dealer, they can make the key without the original one.
The is impossible with the chip in the key. They have to bring the car into the dealer for programming.
HTH
Old 10-01-2001, 07:49 AM
Instructor

Re: The ultimate car alarm solution

So you go get a wire mesh cage and alternate the polarity...coat it with a highly conductive goo...and if the b@stards touch it...boom, instant dead thief. Just a thought
I don't think systems like that are useful to the public..... one false move and you become a victim of you own trap. You have enough juice to fry anything, I just hope nothing ever goes wrong...

You know that police have bait cars that people can steal while the cops watch. Then at some determined time, they flip a switch and the whole car are shuts off... the windows roll up, doors lock, engine shuts off... then the police roll up and nab them. Pretty funny :p
Old 10-01-2001, 11:27 AM
Three Wheelin'

my brother's Jeep got ripped into last night...they took out $5000 of equipment (he's got more cash than I) including 3 screens, DVD player, A/V unit, two heads, three Infinity Kappa 12" subs, two Rockford Fosgate 800a2P's, and other miscellaneous stuff. So yeah, alarm system definitely going in car...
[/B]
Sorry to hear about that! Just makes you mad when someone takes away all the hard work and money you put into your car. When you say Jeep, you're not talking about the soft top convertible Jeeps are you? I hope not, as it's too unsafe. All you need is a knife to rip open the canopy. But if your talking about hardtop Jeep, then that's different.

You should send an e-mail to one of the moderators here. Tim (snook) will answer all of your questions. From what I understand, CAI is better but is more expensive and has a chance of water damaging your engine if you don't get that special round thingy (not sure what it's called) to prevent moisture from going into the intake. As for short ram, it is cheaper but not as good because it just sucks in the warm/hot air from the engine compartment (where as the CAI the pipe takes cold air from underneath the engine). Go with short ram, I got it, it works fine. Save your $ for stereo mods and alarm system.
Old 10-02-2001, 04:59 AM
Banned

UFCen2000:
Totally man...definitely not viable for the general public whatsoever...maybe not even legal...but I'll be d@mned if I'm going to let someone rip my stuff out...no way. Another idea I have thought of...I may try to do night vision and mount a camera in the grille (not really hard) and run it through the computer for image sharpening and other stuff that not even the night vision BMW things can do I may put a tiny camera in the car as well...only active when the security system is on...and then have it store the video on a hard drive I have secured deep in the frame (aka they'd have to take it to a chop shop and rip it down to it's frame)...I mean solder a metal box into the frame and put the hard drive in it...and have it record video like a looping tape...where when it fills up it starts over from the beginning. Sort of like a black box for a car sort of idea...it'd store the internal video if the security system ever went off...the video from the night vision camera outside (which is only night vision at...duh...night) and the coordinates of the car. Yeah, it's a bit of an overkill crazy idea...but my bro just told me what they did to his car...it was a straight rip and tear job...they didn't even try to remove the front paneling....just screwdriver/crowbar/finger action. So...I still like my toasty-crisp-car their idea....heh

Patrick:
Thanks for the advice...I really REALLY appreciate you answering a Q of mine...congrats you're the first :p heh. I was actualyl gonna go cold air intake...but yeah...I do definitely want an air bypass valve...and they work well too...the creator (over at AEM) tested it sucking from his NSX at full throttle with the filter in a fish tank...that speaks for itself...it's gonna cost $190 total...$160+$30 for the valve...so I think I'm gonna go with that...but I will send an email to Tim, thanks for that advice too!

Austin519

Quick Reply: ATT. everyone w/factory security sys, plz read. (pic)