Atlanta Buyers, Unite!

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2001, 10:08 AM
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Atlanta Buyers, Unite!

OK, now that we've seen So. Cal. people and NJ people getting TL-S' at great prices, it's time for us Atlanta people to answer the challenge.

First of all, let everybody know if you are in Atlanta and are interested in buying TL-S in near future. Once we have at least 4-5 people, we can start negotiating with dealers in the area, telling them that if they are willing to deal they will quickly get business in internet speed!

Also, if you already bought one, let everybody know the process and your price (if you don't mind) so we can all benefit.
Old 05-21-2001, 12:01 PM
Intermediate

TL-SorMaxima,

Thanks for the detailed description. I like the price you've got but I'd also like to have the navi. Could you put the salesman's contact info here?

Old 05-21-2001, 01:18 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by Alpha:
Could you put the salesman's contact info here?

My salesman at Ed Voyles Acura was Michael Iscaro. Phone number 770-452-8800. Someone on this site tried to get a deal from him after me, and they were quoted barely under MSRP.

The salesman at Acura of Augusta was Kyle Christiansen. Phone number 800-851-5158.

The salesman at Acura of Athens was David McCoy. Phone number 706-546-1033.

The salesman at Nalley Acura was Alan Bailey. Phone number 770-422-4441. Good luck with this guy - "Mr. MSRP".

I still believe you can do better than I did if you shop wisely at the right time of month, they have enough available cars, and you are EXTREMELY patient.

Hope to see you on the road soon!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 05-21-2001, 04:18 PM
Cruisin'

I agree with you about the acura dealers in the Atlanta area. They all suck especially Nalley Acura. The only acura dealer that I had a positive experience dealing with is the Athen's Acura.

If I were in the market for a TLS, I'd definitely check out the out-of-state dealers. Based on the posys I have seen, you should be able to get a Non-Navi TLS around 29,500 and the NAVI one around 31,300.

Remember that whatever you pay above the invoice is the immediate depreciation on the car as soon as you drive it out of the dealeship. If for any reason, you decide to trade-in the car the most you can ever get for it is an amount below the dealer's invoice.
Old 05-21-2001, 06:24 PM

Hey guys, I spoke to Michal I. from Ed Voyles on the phone the other day, and he quoted me at $31.7 for the tl-s with navi with the destination waived. I am assuming there might be some room to work with, not sure. I think a good price would be $31.2, with destination waived, and free mud guards, floor mats, trunk tray, and spoiler! That would be my ideal deal..not sure if it can happen, anyone else get a similar deal or better? please share!
Old 05-21-2001, 09:47 PM
Racer

Fellaz, don't forget about driving down 85 to Montgomery, AL. I was quoted $30,600 for a TL-S non-nav. That included a pinstripe, wheel locks, mud guards, full front mask, and some kind of protection package that Scotchguards the carpet. Anyway, I didn't buy from them because they still had 2001s on the lot and couldn't give me what I was looking for on my 2000 TL w/ Nav trade-in. I bought my Type-S in Birmingham, which gave me a great trade-in price but only came $700 off sticker...

------------------
John

2002 WDP TL-S (non-nav)
ex 2000 WDP TL Nav driver
Old 05-21-2001, 11:15 PM
Instructor

There are 9 Acura dealers in Georgia, and I was willing to go to any of them to get a good deal.

I first tried a fax attack letting the dealer name their own price. Big mistake. The 3 that repsonded wouldn't go under MSRP.

I then went to an e-mail attack naming my own low ball price. No one went for my price, but it started the ball rolling. I at least started getting some decent responses. After some more e-mails and phone calls, my best price came from Acura of Augusta. Receiving what I felt was a good offer at the time (according to this web site, others have done better), I took the Augusta offer to Ed Voyles Acura. He matched the price, and we set a delivery date. I might have been able to drive the price lower, but several dealers had already dropped off on pricing after I sent all of them notice of my best deal.

I paid $30,785 for a non-nav. The price included the destination charge, OEM rear spoiler installed, 4 splash guards, wheel locks and trunk tray. After tax, tag and title, I added the 100K warranty for $885 (it's non-taxable). My total drive away price came to $33,500.

Nalley Acura in Cobb County wouldn't budge off of MSRP even though we traded messages several times, and I visited the dealership twice. He said something like "I've already sold several of these at MSRP, and I'm not interested in discounting". Guess he didn't need my business.

The easiest to work with were Augusta and Athens. Athens actually came back and beat my price by $200, but not until I already had the car. Athens also offers a free loaner car even for oil changes, but they want to drive your car back and forth to Athens. Who needs those extra miles on the odometer?

Good luck with your purchase experience!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 05-22-2001, 08:15 AM
Intermediate

As long as the 'un-informed' buyers are paying near MSRP in Atlanta, the only thing we can do is to wait a while till the demand dies down. If it's a good car, it'll be worth the wait, right?
Old 05-22-2001, 09:17 AM

My take on things is...if they want to force MSRP, and you really want the car...then force them to give you more free options...otherwise walk away.
Old 05-22-2001, 12:15 PM
Cruisin'

It is really amazing that TL-S prices here in Atlanta are way higher than other places in the country including northeast and west cost( higher cost areas than atlanta). I just saw 2 posts from New Jersey and AZ where TL-S/Navi was purchased at 31,200 and 31,500, resp, with the standard dealer installed options.

Either people here are too uninformed maybe a collusion is in the works by the dealers not to come off the MSRP.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:32 PM

If you guys in Atlanta think its bad at MSRP....try buying one here in Nashville. The dealer here is adding an additional dealer markup of $1000 OVER sticker to the Type S. Memphis told me that they have been selling cars at $500 OVER invoice and only recently at sticker and have a "waiting list" of about 15 people. Knoxville finally did come $500 below sticker. Still not good enough. The wife wants me to just forget it and buy the Infiniti we looked at. I did talk to Michael at Ed Voyles a while back and told him my situation here. He didn't seem too interested and said "maybe" he could knock about $200-300 off of a non-navi car if I wanted to drive down!!! I said, no thanks.
Old 05-22-2001, 01:39 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by GTL2K:
Either people here are too uninformed maybe a collusion is in the works by the dealers not to come off the MSRP.
In yoyo's list above, he was quoted $2000 off MSRP for a TL-S with Navi @ $31,700. I got my non-Navi for $1700 under MSRP, and then got a $635 discount off the list price on the extended warranty. My net price including the spoiler and the warranty was $2300 under MSRP. The dealer also did as some other have by throwing in the splash guards, wheel locks and trunk tray for free.

People have done better elsewhere, but there are good deals to be had everywhere---even in Atlanta. You just have to be willing to work at it to get a price you're comfortable with. Good luck!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 05-24-2001, 08:24 AM
Intermediate

Another thing we can do is that several of us potential buyers could get together and try to get a better deal at a dealer at the same time. But it doesn't seem there are too many Atlanta buyers on this board...
Old 05-24-2001, 09:30 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Talking

Count me in.. I took my TL in for oil change today and looked at the TL-S. I'm in.. I want one.

I just bought my 2000 TL from Athens, David McCoy, a joy to deal with.

Michael Iscaro is a total pain in the @ss, he wouldn't budge on price. Tried to sell me a 5,000 mile 2000 demo for 29,800. Athens gave me walk out on a 2000 for $29,000 said and done.

I'll join the pile to help the prices. I was just down at Baranco today, they had window of $31,7 I believe and he said they already knock 1500 off that. My trade in value is just about equal to my pay-off right now so I just need to get another loan.

I'd be more than happy to call Athens back since I just got this one from them. In fact I am calling them just to see if they'll beat Atlanta dip-Sh1t prices again.

You are right, Atlanta doesn't like to budge, too many people with too much $$$ will buy them anyway.

can email caspreha@southernco.com at work or cspreha@bellsouth.net at home if ya need me to help.

------------------
1998 BlackCurrant Accord EX4 Coupe (Watson)
35% Tint, full Honda front Mask,
Polk Dx all around, Alpine 353, 2xMTX 10"
2000 Laguna/Fern TL (Sherlock)
20% Tint / 20% Platinum, otherwise stock.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:47 AM
Intermediate

Great! Also I think it'll help if we exchange our 'requirements' up front.

Here is mine:
TL-S with Nav, silver or white; spoiler wanted but not necessary. Desired date of purshase: now to whenever my current ride dies.

My contact info is in my profile.
Old 05-24-2001, 09:59 AM
Burning Brakes

TL-S Navi definately, I wish I had gotten it on my TL.

I want the Blue/Ebony. I DON'T want sunroof visor. And I don't want Spoiler, mudguards yes though.

Athens is nice, they drive down in a loaner (last time I got a Volvo S80, it's their same dealer), pick up the TL take it back to Athens, oil change, 2 free wash/wax's a year. And bring it back.. I think 1 day turn around last time.. Sure it's 88 miles up there, but hey, they came right to Georgia Power parking lot, called me when he was here, signed the paper and away I went.

Tho the S80 was hatefully underpowered with the 2.9.. ick.. but it was nice.

I just left a VM with David McCoy at Athens, we'll see.. I told him 3 or 4 more people want them, so lets speak up.

------------------
Old 05-24-2001, 02:09 PM
Burning Brakes

Red face

Athens just came back with $33,100 for Navi, No Spoiler, Yes Mud Guards, No Sunroof Visor.

Yay ?? Nea ??

------------------
Old 05-24-2001, 02:17 PM
Instructor

Is that the Athens deal for 3 or 4 people?

Several dealers are giving the mud guards, wheel locks and trunk tray free at delivery. With that being said, a $33,100 offer is $600 under MSRP. Yoyo got a better quote from Iscaro at Ed Voyles ($31,700 with Navi) earlier in this post.

Push McCoy harder at Athens. Try Kyle Christiansen at Augusta as well.

Good luck to all in Atlanta! Hope to see you on the road soon!

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 05-24-2001, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by TL-SorMaxima:
Is that the Athens deal for 3 or 4 people?

Several dealers are giving the mud guards, wheel locks and trunk tray free at delivery. With that being said, a $33,100 offer is $600 under MSRP. Yoyo got a better quote from Iscaro at Ed Voyles ($31,700 with Navi) earlier in this post.

Push McCoy harder at Athens. Try Kyle Christiansen at Augusta as well.

Good luck to all in Atlanta! Hope to see you on the road soon!

Ok, I just went for a test drive today with Michael at Ed Voyles...well he claimed the quote he gave me was without navigation and it is actually 33.7k which is MSRP. WTF..I spoke to this guy on the phone and even sent him an email via carpoint for a quote with Navigation...very dissapointing..sorry to get your hopes up yall.

Old 05-24-2001, 02:37 PM
Instructor

Originally posted by yoyo:

Ok, I just went for a test drive today with Michael at Ed Voyles...well he claimed the quote he gave me was without navigation and it is actually 33.7k which is MSRP
Ouch! Keep trying, yoyo. There are 8 other dealers out there. Hell, try Southern Motors Acura in Savannah! Work them against each other. That's the only reason I feel I got a decent price. Check out Alabama dealers as well. Somebody else on this site got a good deal over in Alabamie.

------------------
2002 TL Type S
Nighthawk Black Pearl
Black interior
Old 05-24-2001, 03:03 PM

Oh yeah, I only saw about 5-6 TL-S on the front lot, not sure if they had more in the back. The ride was smooth as hell, but could not really push the car as much as I wanted to due to Atlanta's slow drivers and mild traffic around 2:30pm..which is odd. Anyhow, I really like the silver color and the blue, I am leaning toward the silver mainly because the it was so easy to notice the dust laying on the blue (which was indoors in the showroom). Atlanta's spring pollen and dry leaves in the fall will definatly be visible in dark colors..in my opinion. I did not see a white one though. Also, the black fake wood interior is not as bad as people make it out to be. It blends in nicely, and could grow on you, originally I was all for getting the wood kit and switching out the wood, but not so sure anymore. Anyhow, I hope we soon-to-be-Atlanta-TL-S owners can find a good deal soon!
Old 05-24-2001, 11:09 PM

Talking

The TMV just dropped today on Edmunds.com
Old 05-24-2001, 11:29 PM
Instructor

i dont remember but, what was the TMV before they dropped it?

Old 05-24-2001, 11:32 PM
Intermediate

I believe the TMV used to be the same as MSRP
Old 05-25-2001, 08:17 AM
Intermediate

Originally posted by Sherlock:
Athens just came back with $33,100 for Navi, No Spoiler, Yes Mud Guards, No Sunroof Visor.

Yay ?? Nea ??

Working from TL-SorMaxima's purchase(from Ed Voyles): $30785, no Navi, with OEM spoiler, splash guards, wheel locks and trunk tray, destination charge included. Now with Navi, we should expect $32785 with all the goodies, and a lower number with only splash guards. Spoiler's MSRP is around $600-800 (not sure). So our target price for TL-S/Navi/Splash Guards should be around $32k. Still not the best on the board, but something we can live with, right?

Just another piece of information: I went to Acura Carland in Gwinnett last Saturday and saw all TL-S' had dealer installed package of splash guards/all-season floor mats/trunk tray with the add-on price of $795! I guess this is just another way of jacking up the price before negotiation.

Old 05-25-2001, 09:22 PM

I'm in the market for a TL-S and live in Marietta. Should be ready to buy in 2 weeks. I've got a good friend in Montgomery. I'll drive three hours to save a couple of grand! Maybe we should give our business to Alabama and tell the Atlanta dealers to sh-ve it! I went to Nalley and it was a waste of time. I'd go MSRP if they threw in the body kit and spoiler, and got no bites from any dealer in Atlanta, so I don't even want to go back and give them any of my money...
Originally posted by Alpha:
Working from TL-SorMaxima's purchase(from Ed Voyles): $30785, no Navi, with OEM spoiler, splash guards, wheel locks and trunk tray, destination charge included. Now with Navi, we should expect $32785 with all the goodies, and a lower number with only splash guards. Spoiler's MSRP is around $600-800 (not sure). So our target price for TL-S/Navi/Splash Guards should be around $32k. Still not the best on the board, but something we can live with, right?

Just another piece of information: I went to Acura Carland in Gwinnett last Saturday and saw all TL-S' had dealer installed package of splash guards/all-season floor mats/trunk tray with the add-on price of $795! I guess this is just another way of jacking up the price before negotiation.

Old 05-25-2001, 09:31 PM
Dr. TLS

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey PETDOC,
I am from the Nashville area and I might be able to help you get a car. As of right now, I will not reveal any information because I have not actually bought the TL-S yet, but I have negotiated and put in an order. Here are the stats: TL-S without Navi, White Diamond Pearl, Parchment Interior, Sunroof Visor, Mudguards, and either wheel locks or a nose mask. The total price I agreed to was $30,000 even, incuding destination. Car's build date is May 27 - June 01 according to dealer, and he said I should be getting it between June 6 and June 16. I will let you know if this deal goes down as planned. I have managed to have him put all this in writing so there is a good chance it will go through. I will keep you posted.
Old 05-25-2001, 11:32 PM

Vandy,

Keep me posted. That deal sounds sweet. Maybe I can keep the wife away from the I30's until then!! lol
Old 05-26-2001, 07:45 AM
Intermediate

I'm also willing to drive 2-3 hours and save a couple of grands. Should we get a price and see if any of the Atlanta dealers match?
Old 05-26-2001, 10:44 AM
Burning Brakes

Told ya Michael I was a pain.. never likes to come down. And he tells ya the whole time "We're the largest Acura dealer, we can do anything"... Except come down on price.

I didn't verify with Athens if he'd only do -$600 if it was a 3 or 4 car purchase.. I can verify that either today or Tuesday.

I'm getting offers of about $23,500 to $24,000 for my current TL, so $33,100 before taxes is gunna hurt to add another 10K to my loan.. not going to do it at those rates.

AND.. I know this board loves rumors.. did I hear someone say manual tranny coming up ??

I had done the Carpoint thingy when I got my TL last year.. I heard from Nalley, Voyles, and one other I forget.. all sucked.. no one would come under $29,800, and only one did that, the rest were over $30k. The hell with Atlanta and their snobbed nosed salestwits.

Lets take our business elsewhere.

------------------
Old 05-28-2001, 06:12 PM
Intermediate

Atlanta People,

I just bought my Silver TL-S w/Navi from Acura Carland in Duluth today. The negotiation was fairly painless and short (30 minutes). The price is not the lowest on the board but one that I consider acceptable. I'll post the details of the transaction tomorrow (5/29) during my lunch time unless I have to 'break-in' the car. :-)
Old 05-29-2001, 09:37 AM
Intermediate

(Disclaimer: I didn't get the best price in GA, and I certainly didn't get the best price on the board. The price I paid doesn't matter to me now 'cause the car was bought and I intend to enjoy it. I hope by me posting my process here, it'll help somebody to get a better deal which in turn will help more people.)

May 26, Saturday:
called the salesman Richard Mahoney, told him I've done my research on the internet (I did a test-drive with him on 5/19) and ready to talk numbers. He said he couldn't quote price over the phone and I had to come in. Made appointment for Monday morning.

May 28, Monday:
10:25AM - got to Acura Carland with a binder in hand (clips of different threads from this forum), Rich was talking to another customer. Later he told me he'd let me drive the car around.

10:40 - the car (TL-S Silver Navi) was brought up (from the lot in the back) and I looked around it while Rich was copying my DL and insurance card.

10:50-11:05 - drove the car around by myself.

11:15 - Rich brought another salesman - Randy Peiffer - 'cause he's still dealing with the other customer. To my surprise, Randy had a printout of Edmund's with the TMV as of 5/28. I mentioned that the price of their dealer package (mud guards, mats, trunk tray) - $795 - is too high and therefore I didn't want the mats and trunk tray. He said he'd give me those with a 'at cost' price of $425. It's a start. So here is his starting point: Edmunds TMV $32,683 + $425 = $33,108.

11:25 - I started referring to the clips I brought with me and doing calculations in front of him. Asked him what their 'document fee' is (it's $300). He asked me if I needed financing, I said no. I mentioned some people on this board paid $31.5k, he said he wouldn't make any money that way, I said yes you would and here is how much (price-invoice + dealer holdback + document fee). Finally I put up a number: $32,500.

11:30 - Randy came back from his 'manager' and said they could do $33,000. More haggling. He suggested we could 'split the differences'. I said no. Mentioned this forum and that I could recommend more people if I could gett what I wanted.

11:35 - Randy went back to talk to his 'manager' again.

11:40 - Randy came back and agreed to the price. I brought up the fact that I had a trade-in. Gave him the key to have someone look at the car.

11:50 - Randy came back with a price for my trade-in and I agreed. Started signing some initial paperworks.

12:15 - Started talking with financial guy Robert, he showed me several 'products' and I rejected all but the extended warranty (which is fully refundable). Signed more papers. Wanted to pay the whole thing with credit cards (all with cash back) but was told I could only pay $3000 with credit cards, , so I had to pay the rest with check.

12:50 - Came back out and waited some more.

1:20 - Randy came back and told me that the car I wanted had defective paint job and they had to switch me another car (same specs). I became very suspicious. Went to see the cars. The first one (24 miles after my test drive) had a 'bubble' the size of a penny on the edge of the hood in front of the driver, it had not been visible because of all the platic on top. The workers were washing the second one (seats were still wrapped). Checked the mileage - 29 miles. OK. Went back to Robert to sign more papers (had to chang VIN on all papers).

1:40 - took a loaner from Randy to grab a bite.

2:20 - came back and saw my car in front. Checked very carefully to make sure there was nothing 'fishy'.

2:40 - left the dealer after Randy gave me the packet and put my old license tag back on my new baby.

Here are the numbers without trade-in:

Satin Silver TL-S w/Navi, mud guards, all-season mats, trunk tray:
Price: $32,500 (desi. included)
Doc. Fee: $299
TTL: $41
Sales Tax: 7%

Overall the negotiation was fairly pleasant but I'm a little PO'd that I had to wait that long to drive off. Randy didn't use any high-pressure techniques so I'd say he's ok.
Also, during the process, I told him "it doesn't matter how much car I can afford, it matters how much more I'm paying than the best price I know and I don't want to pay too much over it".

This is the only non-Clark-Howard type of spending I have done so far in my life. So I'd be very defensive if you questioned my skills.

Now go out there and get yourself a better price! When you do, you owe me lunch,

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Alpha on May 29, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 05-29-2001, 04:03 PM
Pro

Cool

"You did good!!!" Don't look back! Enjoy the vehicle and congratulations!!!
Old 06-04-2001, 09:23 AM
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 6 Posts
Thumbs up

I tried dealing at Baranco, but they messed up the deal right from the beginning by not being above-board...sales person also told me to drive in D3 all the time during the test drive...I suggested they read the Driver's Manual.

I started out dealing on email. Don't talk to ANY dealer directly...and refuse phone contact. Name your price and tell them that's it.

I got my TL Type S Nav with splash guards, (carpeted floor mats are standard), wheel locks, and sun roof visor for $32K from Michael Iscaro at Ed Voyles. This was my most pleasant car buying experience in 30 years.

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by garylee55 on June 04, 2001 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by garylee55 on June 04, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-05-2001, 07:43 AM
Intermediate

garylee55, you definitely got a better deal than I did. Congratulations!

Now the bar has been lowered, can anyone lower it even more around here?
Old 06-05-2001, 01:41 PM

hey guys..
It's good thing that atl guys can gather and exachange the shopping skills(??)..
well as garylee55 has written, 32k. isn't it good??
I'm trying to get the TL-S for 34k D.O.(7%tax) w/Nav, Spoiler, mud guard and wheel locks.
I might be wrong. But, my calculation say, 34k DO is giving em' $200 over the invoice.
And I'm looking 22k on my accord, listed at the bottom and, driven only 6month w/12k miles..
I'm going to Ed Voyles to see jeff Rizzo,a sales and Finance manager. to make a straight deal.
I let you guys know when my deal is done.
Old 06-05-2001, 01:53 PM
Intermediate

groyuki, it might help if you go to Carmax or some place to get your Accord EXVL priced first. Of course you need to get the 'theoretical' numbers from Edmunds as a reference.

I was shopping for an EXVL a couple of months ago till I had my eyes on the TLS. Now if I had known you were selling and lived nearby...

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Alpha on June 05, 2001 @ ]</font>
Old 06-06-2001, 10:33 AM
Pro

Edmunds is a good place to start, but a dealer will rarely even give you the Wholesale price on a car...they start by looking at the market for the car...which of course, is excellent...but the disadvantage in your situation with such a new car is dependent on what NEW ones are selling for in your market; e.g., they would not give you retail for the car because someone could strike a deal on a brand new Honda better than the retail price on your used one. They also will not give you wholesale because they want to make a profit on your trade when they sell it...and as big of a profit as possible.

Good luck!
Old 06-06-2001, 10:35 AM
Pro

Edmunds is a good place to start, but a dealer will rarely even give you the Wholesale price on a car...they start by looking at the market for the car...which of course, is excellent...but the disadvantage in your situation with such a new car is dependent on what NEW ones are selling for in your market; e.g., they would not give you retail for the car because someone could strike a deal on a brand new Honda better than the retail price on your used one. They also will not give you wholesale because they want to make a profit on your trade when they sell it...and as big of a profit as possible.

Good luck!
Old 07-03-2001, 10:42 AM
Intermediate

Final post on my purchase: I went back to Acura Carland last Saturday and cancelled my extended warranty of 6yrs/100k.

Quick Reply: Atlanta Buyers, Unite!