Assistance/advise needed on my tire situation

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 09:30 AM
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Assistance/advise needed on my tire situation

(2003 TL Type-S)
Long Island, NY

I'm in a jam and not sure which course to follow...
I have 10,000 babied miles on my TL Type S with the Stock Michelin P215 50R 17 93V tires. I had my right rear tire blow out on me while traveling at 65 mph with the cruise control on. When I got the tire off my car, I noticed a 3/4 to 1 inch slice on the inside wall of the tire (which I believe make it un-rapairable?? Where the tread meets the wall of the tire. Looks like I probably picked something up on the road or ran something over that was protruding from the road. I heard about the bubbling of these tires and initially thought that it might have been a bubble that burst, but there's no indication of that.

Does Acura or Michelin cover the cost of a replacement under warranty?

What would you guys do in my current situation?
(1) Replace the stock tire with a new one from tire rack for $176 a tire??? Why are they so expensive?
(2) Go with another name brand and replace all four tires?? Which brand do you guys recommend? A shame since the remaining 3 are in excellent shape.
(3) Does anyone here have one of these stock tires sitting around in good shape that I can buy/take off your hands? Local NY area if possible.
(4) Go with another set/brand of tires and try and sell my remaining 3 tires which are in great shape?

Thanks for your help in advance.
It amazes me that this tire would cost me roughly $200 to replace.

ANGELO TOPIS
atopis@yahoo.com
Pls e-mail me if you have a spare Michelin Pilot HX MXM4 Radial XSE (P215 50R17 93V) sitting around that's in good shape.

Regards
a.k.a. GELLO
Old 05-02-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 58 Likes on 34 Posts
That is what the tire manufacturer's warranty is for.... (I *believe* this is how it works) ---> They should replace the tire while deducting the amount of money in accordance to the wear you've already done on the tire. You will pay the difference. If I have not gotten replacement details correct, definitely check it out cuz the manufacturer definitely warranties the tire for cases such as this.
Old 05-02-2004, 11:23 AM
Instructor

GELLO,

I just sent you an email
Old 05-03-2004, 01:58 AM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Street Spirit
That is what the tire manufacturer's warranty is for.... (I *believe* this is how it works) ---> They should replace the tire while deducting the amount of money in accordance to the wear you've already done on the tire. You will pay the difference. If I have not gotten replacement details correct, definitely check it out cuz the manufacturer definitely warranties the tire for cases such as this.

OEM tires that came with the car has NO warranty. Neither Michelin nor Acura/ Honda is willing to warranty the tires. You may have to start b**ching an whining like f**k to get some attention. Not even authorized Michelin dealers will touch this if you say the tires came with the car. Trust me, I've gone thru this BS. (got my money back tho..)
Old 05-03-2004, 02:15 AM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by vicman17

OEM tires that came with the car has NO warranty. Neither Michelin nor Acura/ Honda is willing to warranty the tires. You may have to start b**ching an whining like f**k to get some attention. Not even authorized Michelin dealers will touch this if you say the tires came with the car. Trust me, I've gone thru this BS. (got my money back tho..)
thats wierd.. here in vancouver... i got warranteed for a blown tire that was non-fixable... and yeah you just pay the difference of the tread wear left on the tire....
Old 05-03-2004, 02:17 AM
Banned

Bxscig lives pretty much in Long Island and has 2 OEM Michelin Tires for sale, I think for $60 bux each with about 15k miles on them. His ad is in the Black Market section, contact him... this will be your cheapest way out. Pics are up there on the thread as well.

Your alternative is to repalce all 4 tires, like many memebers did on this forum, including myself, but expect to pay about $400+ for tires, balancing, alignment and etc.

Email sent to you as well.
Old 05-03-2004, 03:04 AM
Banned

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
i had a little puncture hole in the inner side of the tire after 400 miles of driving my car. I've called just about all the dealers around southern california and they told me that the tire damage as a result road hazard was not covered. i had a tiny little hole that was leaking air and i had to replace the whole damned tire. cost me 80 bucks (thanks to hookups), but i was still pretty pissed off.

Anyhow, your situation will not be covered by warranty. If you are covered, you've been blessed and the dealerships in CA can go burn in hell
Old 05-03-2004, 08:45 AM
4th Gear

BXSCIG, if you still have those 2 Michelin MXM4 Tires...

BXSCIG...you have a buyer!!
Check your e-mail and call me.

I appreciate everyone's help and comments concerning these tires.
If anyone cares, MICHELIN's customer service number is 1-800-847-3435.

Regards,
GELLO
Old 05-03-2004, 11:09 AM
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Gello, please PM me. Work blocks me from checking outside email.
Old 05-03-2004, 11:26 AM
Drifting

Do NOT buy a brand new tire. They are not worth $50 each let alone $170.

I would get four new tires and try to sell your 3 remaining.
Old 05-03-2004, 01:27 PM
Pro

i've blown a total of 3 michellins on the LIE Grandcentral and crossisland. I don't suggest staying with michellin.....I got some Firestone Firehawks and I'm happy. 2000 miles later I haven't had a problem at all.
Old 05-03-2004, 09:23 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by chewi
thats wierd.. here in vancouver... i got warranteed for a blown tire that was non-fixable... and yeah you just pay the difference of the tread wear left on the tire....

I had to go thru hell just to get that pro-rated amount. Too much aggravation for getting back a substandard tire.

Bottom line is, pray that you don't get another blow out or bubble until the tire wears out then dump the f**kers for a different brand. Lucky there are guys here willing to sell their old ones to fill the gap.
Old 05-04-2004, 09:27 PM
Advanced

Try www.tirerack.com. You would not be disappointed