Anyone used the paint spray from Autozone and place like that?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2004, 01:03 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone used the paint spray from Autozone and place like that?

I just done paint the OEM lips of a prelude from my boy. I used the spray that i bought from Kragen. The color was pretty much match, but we found out that it's really easy to scratched down when we try to put the pieces back. Even we put 3, 4 layers of the color coats and also a final coat that make it shiny( forget what's that transparent spray called).

My boy also got a Spolier for VW GTI need to be painted, we called several paint house and that's gonna cost us $300 for that little piece..shiet....so decide to paint by ourselves,Wandering...

Is anyone here paint any body part yourself? What kinda paint you used? And how to make the paint really stick on the part like OEM paint, instead of scratched off easily by a coin.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:10 PM
Sig Rho's Finest

are you serious!? please tell me your kidding man...
Old 09-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
I'm assuming that you first used the primer, a few coats of that, let it dry in between and after, then the paint itself, a few coats and let it dry in between and after, and finally, two light!! coats of the clear coat..Let it dry for 1-2 full days if drying at room temp. The paint should not just come off like that, unless u didnt follow the right steps,or the what you are painting has particles of grease or oil, or it has a shiny part, which must be sanded down for the paint to stick.

good luck.
Old 09-18-2004, 01:17 PM
Racer

lol yeah i'm serious..

The job we did on prelude came out pretty good, the color is match. It took us like 6 cans of spray for 3 lips tho. (2 sides and 1 back. )

The only disadvantage is easy scratched off.

Is my idea really that stupid?? or else what's those paint use for??
Old 09-18-2004, 01:21 PM
Racer

Originally Posted by teknoking
I'm assuming that you first used the primer, a few coats of that, let it dry in between and after, then the paint itself, a few coats and let it dry in between and after, and finally, two light!! coats of the clear coat..Let it dry for 1-2 full days if drying at room temp. The paint should not just come off like that, unless u didnt follow the right steps,or the what you are painting has particles of grease or oil, or it has a shiny part, which must be sanded down for the paint to stick.

good luck.

Thanks a lot teknoking.

YES I DIDNT FOLLOW THE STEP!!!!
that's y.

I didnt use the primer and we only let it dry for 1-2 full "hours" instead of 1-2 days!!!
that's y...damn...
Old 09-18-2004, 01:48 PM
Race Director

Received 275 Likes on 159 Posts
its all good, not a big deal, its a long process because you have to give it time for the paint to bond properly, this way it will not scratch off like a lottery ticket Most body shops leave the painted objects under special warm lightining for a day. But for a few skirts it shouldnt be such a big deal.

hopefully your boy will enjoy the outcome.

peace.
Old 09-18-2004, 08:58 PM
I'd rather be driving:

1a) SURFACE PREP: First, make sure you "scuff" up the surface with a very fine sandpaper (>400 grit) before you paint. Plastics are so slick that anything you spray on them won't have anything to "grab" on to and it'll peel off, guaranteed.

1b) Completely degrease the surface with prep sol to remove any grease, wax, oil or other surface contaminants. Wipe down the surface with a tack cloth to remove any loose sanding residue.

3) PRIME THE SURFACE. Use ADHESION PROMOTER. Most grey primers are for use on metal, not plastics, you will not get the paint to adhere to plastics properly unless you use adhesion promoter. I think the directions say "allow to dry for ~5 min.".

4) PAINT: Now you can paint the part(s) following the directions on the paint can and finish up with clear coat.

I painted my Mugen grille with spray can paint using the above noted directions and it's still holding up fine (of course it's not impervious to stone chips but where it has chipped it has not peeled).

When you go to the auto parts store get adhesion promoter and read the label, you'll see it's meant for painting on plastics.
Old 09-18-2004, 10:26 PM
Racer

thanks for all the reply..

Love this forum
Old 09-19-2004, 04:09 AM
2Poor 2Furious

You can go to a hardware store and find plastic primer made specifically for plastic.
Old 09-19-2004, 10:56 AM
Banned

did you put a hardner/clear coat on ?