Anyone tried Meguiar's No 20?

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 04:27 PM
Not a Blowhole

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts
Anyone tried Meguiar's No 20?

It is from the Professional Series Mirror Glaze line.

It contains "polymers, resins, silicones, and imported waxes" for the claimed benefit of highest durability. I figure the TL paint needs all the help it can get.

I buffed out the car with medium cut compound, then #9, then No 20 and I like the results.

I also did two sections with Zymol (yes, I once was part of the Zymol cult), Pinnacle, and Gold Class, then asked my wife to examine the surface. Her young eyes can spot a bit of dirt that I have tracked in from 100 meters! I asked her if she could tell the difference between the rear deck - area to area, and which looked better. She spent 5 mins. eyeballing the whole affair from different angles, finally pronouncing themequally shiny.

I concur. To my mind, it is the polishing and surface prep that make or break a great shine. If it were not for the harsh environment, I would juswt buff my car with No 7 Meguiar's (or the hard to find but better No 5) or Pinnacle Paintwork Cleansing and be done with it - that;'s what most show cars use.
Old 09-09-2001, 09:26 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No, but I've used No. 26 Hi-Tech Yellow Wax, which contains "the highest grade Brazilian Number One Yellow Carnauba Wax" along with the "polymers, resins and silicones for extraordinary durability."

I haven't used it on the TL-S as of yet, but I've been happy with the results on my other cars.

I couldn't agree more with your statement that surface prep makes all the difference. I clayed, prepped and polished the wife's Honda last weekend (all with Zaino products . . . oh no, I'm being pulled into the cult!). The results were impressive. I'm sure the No. 26, or No. 20, based on your results, would be equally so with the same surface prep.

Another good wax I've used is Eagle One Carnauba Paste. Great shine, so-so durability.
Old 09-09-2001, 05:16 PM
jps
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well, I just spent the day doing the #9 followed by the #26, but now its raining so I can't take it out of the garage to get a good look!

The #9 scares me a little. It seemed to leave a bit of a haze, like it was still wet long after wiping... You guys have any problems like that?
Old 09-10-2001, 08:54 AM
Burning Brakes

Road Rage -- did you apply/remove these products by hand or with a buffer? Most of the Professional grade Meguiar's stuff recommends a buffer. I'm just wondering what kind of a difference it makes if you do it by hand.
Old 09-10-2001, 10:48 AM
No, you are a dork.

As reigning Grand Pooh Bah of the Zaino cult, I have been given orders to only stand behind Zaino. I have no further comment about any "other" products.
Old 09-10-2001, 07:26 PM
Not a Blowhole

RedLined - I use a Porter Cable random action sander with a plate attachment that allows using hook/loop buffing pads. I use Meguiar's w-9006 (6.5") for cutting in, W-8006 for polsihing, and W7006 for waxing. I set the Porter to "3".
Daryl: Hey, lighten up man, if you have something yea or nay to say about No20, bring it on. Tom Daschle is reigning Pooh Bah of the Democraps, but that doesn;t keep him from weighing in on George Dubya.:p
Old 09-10-2001, 07:57 PM
No, you are a dork.

I dont have any "weighing in" to do at all. Just like messing with you. Your cult comment was so dumb that I had to beat it into the ground some more.....
Old 09-11-2001, 10:20 AM
Not a Blowhole

Sorry that your sense of humor was surgically removed, but Webster defines a cult as "a great devotion to a person, idea, or thing" . In a thread with hyperbolics such as "Sal Zaino is a god" I consider my comment appropriate. Get rid of that chip on your shoulder, it is not attractive and does funny things to your clothes; and you can rub all you want, my skin is thick. Actually, rub a bit to the left - I think a little mosquito is flying around making a whiny buzzing sound.