anyone know of GOOD wiper blades?

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2000, 09:12 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question anyone know of GOOD wiper blades?

I cant seem to find a good set. I've had the stock ones, i've had some pep-boys brand like proLine or something and most recently i bought bosch ... the bosch seem to be the worst (surprisingly) .. i want blades that wont start smudging 2 weeks after i put them on.. anyone know of good ones?
thanks

------------------
-Fiddler
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe
Old 11-14-2000, 09:31 AM
Banned

Exclamation

Do you use rain-x or any other junk on your windows by any chance? I found out by experience that using any of that stuff screws the blades...

------------------
Just my 2 cents...
Old 11-14-2000, 09:36 AM
Racer

nope - nothing .. just windwasher fluid
Old 11-14-2000, 09:53 AM
Three Wheelin'

What I found that helps is use Zaino on the windows. This might sound odd but all the rain just beads and roll off the windows. I use the stock blades as well.

------------------
'00 White Diamond Perl w/Nav
Wings West Spoiler
Rear Comptech Sway bar
Old 11-14-2000, 10:46 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Angry

I too wasted my time and money on Bosch crap.
I use RainX window cleaner, not the RainX repellent itself. It's a fine grit polish of glass level that cleans any rubber/grime/pollution from the glass, works great, you can see it when you rinse it (and rinse and rinse takes a while to get off) but leaves a very clean window. I've been thru Proline, tripledge, bosch, they all seem to fail, I'm almost about to pay the $$$ just to see if Acura parts can sell me anything better.

------------------
Had 1989 Black CRX Si (Cracker)
Have 1998 Black Currant Accord EX4 Coupe (Watson)
Have 2000 Laguna/Fern TL (Sherlock)
Old 11-14-2000, 04:24 PM
Racer

I haven't replaced the Acura ones yet, but on my other car I recently replaced with Bosch Micro Edge. They work great still after about 2 months, and being constantly parked outside.

I didn't spend the extra $$$ on Micro Edge excels, my friend got them and they don't stay in contact with the window very well, but he has a rather curved windshield.

------------------
"Now you see that evil will always triumph, because good is dumb." --Dark Helmet

www.distributed.net
Old 11-14-2000, 07:20 PM
Three Wheelin'

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Fiddler:
I cant seem to find a good set. I've had the stock ones, i've had some pep-boys brand like proLine or something and most recently i bought bosch ... the bosch seem to be the worst (surprisingly) .. i want blades that wont start smudging 2 weeks after i put them on.. anyone know of good ones?
thanks

Consumer Reports did testing on wiper blades its in the October 2000 issue & I can not find that issue I have all the others.They had test for replacement & OEM blades I think OEM came out well on some test.They do have a web site so you might go there & look under Auto wiper blades here is the link www.ConsumerReports.org

Old 11-14-2000, 08:07 PM
Racer

I see at least one of you may not like the rain x products but i use it on all my cars. it definitly helps keep the water from sticking to the window. One time I was on a trip to Utah and it rained the whole way there. It was at night and because of the Rain-X I never used my wipers at all the whole night. I tried to use them but it seemed like it streaked and made it harder to see with wipers than without. Also, with the shallow angle of the windshield you only need to be going 35 mph and the water will blow right off the window. havent had any problems with blades but it seems likr the wiper blades work better with the rain-X you just have to buff it in a little when applying or you will get streaks.

------------------
formerly 98 prelude type SH

Currently 2001 Acura 3.2 TL With Navigation Black/Ebony
Old 11-14-2000, 08:27 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally posted by preludeshfan:
I see at least one of you may not like the rain x products but i use it on all my cars. it definitly helps keep the water from sticking to the window. One time I was on a trip to Utah and it rained the whole way there. It was at night and because of the Rain-X I never used my wipers at all the whole night. I tried to use them but it seemed like it streaked and made it harder to see with wipers than without. Also, with the shallow angle of the windshield you only need to be going 35 mph and the water will blow right off the window. havent had any problems with blades but it seems likr the wiper blades work better with the rain-X you just have to buff it in a little when applying or you will get streaks.

I have used Rain X for many years but on the TL I got the Aquapel glass treatment on the front windshield last Feb.This stuff last about 6 to 8 months its still working on my car but the sticker they put on has exspired &its time for retreat.This stuff was put on at Ziebart it cost about $20 for treatment works much better than Rain X the windshield is clear & its know glare like Rain X its made by PPG I think some auto stores sell something called Vision Blade thats probaly the same stuff last about 6 months.The Aquapel works great & I still use Rain X on sides & rear windows.

Old 11-14-2000, 11:00 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 740 Likes on 309 Posts
Bosch all the way.

------------------
'99 TL Satin Silver/Ebony, Non/Nav, Comptech lowered, Comptech Air Filter Element, Inspire Tails

Pics of my TL
Pics of my Miata! Wadya think?
Old 11-14-2000, 11:19 PM
S/C'd Accord Coming Soon!

I used Bosch wipers on my Eagle Vision and those had to be the worst wiper blades ever!!! My stock Honda wipers lasted almost a year before they started to go out on me, the Bosch started crapping out after 2 or 3 months!

------------------
Brian =B-)
2000 Accord LX V6 Sedan White - 3,310 lbs w/ driver - 170HP & 160ft/lbs
- Eibach Pro-Kit (1.5" drop)
- Red AEM Short RAM Intake (8-10hp & 5-6 ft/lbs gain on a DynoJet)
- Red AEM Tru Power Pulleys (10hp @ 5,600rpms & 11ft/lbs @ 4,600rpms gain on a DynoJet)
- 15.5 @ 88mph (Track) [with AEM intake] 0-60mph 7.2 sec (G-Tech) [with intake/pulleys]
Old 11-15-2000, 07:41 AM
Banned

Question

FTM-1:
They do have a web site so you might go there & look under Auto wiper blades here is the link http://www.ConsumerReports.org
You need a user name and password to get the article... anyone has it? Maybe cut and paste it in here?

------------------
Just my 2 cents...

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by grishulia on 11-15-2000 @ ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by grishulia on 11-15-2000 @ ]</font>
Old 11-15-2000, 09:24 AM
Racer

Ye.. i subscribed... the article isnt much help .... cause it regards the bosch as excellent and thats' just not what i'm experiencing (maybe my particular blades?)
i'd paste the article but it's in tables with images and such so it'a a b*tch ... here are some results :
------------------------
The top six wiper blades in the Ratings worked the best overall. Opt for the high-rated Anco, Trico, or Bosch blades, and you also get easy installation, though several others scored well in this area.

Despite their generally higher cost, you may want to consider dealer's wipers, given the strong performance of wiper blades sold by Toyota dealers for the Camry and by Chrysler and Dodge dealers for their minivans. While refills cost the least and reduce waste, they can be inconvenient to install and had slightly worse clearing in our tests.
-------------------------

these are the top 6 blades best to worst:

Anco Premium 31
Trico Exact-Fit
Anco AeroVantage 91
Bosch Micro Edge 407
Trico Nu-Vision 21
Bosch Micro Edge Excel 409

------------------
-Fiddler
1998 Accord EX V6 Coupe
Old 11-15-2000, 12:43 PM
Pro

hey fiddler and others that have bad wipers, i went to acura and got my blades replace 6 times before i got it write.
many times they simply replaced the blades and it worked fine for about a week, and here in sfla ir rains too too much, than other times they tried telling me my blade holder, (whatever it's really called) is bent, so they straightened out... still didn't really help much, and finally they asked me if i ever used rainX, i lied and said, no, of course not, so they simply waxed my windshield, w/i dunno what crap... but it works so damn great... at lights i just squirt some washer fluid just to see how quickly my water vanishes from the my windshield
they did all this w/no cost too of course... though they did try and make me pay the first time telling me blades run out very fast and shit like that... IDIOTS
does anyone know that name of the wax they used?????? get it, it's good... i'll get some too.
Old 11-16-2000, 03:55 AM
Three Wheelin'

usually anything with ammonia will clean the blades, like Glass Plus or something like that
Old 04-24-2004, 09:52 AM
Advanced

My husband is a service manager and he said RainX actually just came out with their own wiper blades and they are supposed to be pretty good.
Old 04-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Pro

i picked up a whole bunch of STP VisionBlades last november when they were on sale and it's the bomb. my windshield is still repelling water and it was much easier to apply than rain-x without all the buffing you have to do. i highly recommend this stuff. it's the same stuff as the Aquapel that places like Ziebart put on.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:48 PM
Pro

i'm disapointed a the bosch blades i spent good money on the micro edge ones for them to be needing to replace 4 months later.
Old 04-24-2004, 05:56 PM
Pro

are those Pylon and Lexor blades that walmart sells any good? i saw them selling a Lexor silicone blade.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:10 PM
Racer

the lexor blades are great and the pylon refills are cheap.

i like them.

don't get silicone, it rubs off onto your windshield.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:23 PM
Instructor

Writing from Japan.

I use PIAA Super Silicoat with Rain-X coating.
http://www.piaa.com/WiperBlades/WiperBlades.html

Although the life of the blades is not so long and quite expensive, I am satisfied with this PIAA because it is silent, smooth and no squeaking.
Old 04-24-2004, 06:48 PM
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by amfjabe
Writing from Japan.

I use PIAA Super Silicoat with Rain-X coating.
http://www.piaa.com/WiperBlades/WiperBlades.html

Although the life of the blades is not so long and quite expensive, I am satisfied with this PIAA because it is silent, smooth and no squeaking.
I just picked up a set of PIAA's and I love them. It's true, they put a layer of silicon on you windshield, but it's totally invisible - so there isn't a downside to the PIAA's other than the price ($40 for the set) in my opinion. The water beads away immediately, moving car optional, and there's never any streaks or sound. In fact, once you get a layer of silicon on the windshield, you can drive without your wipers on (not that I’m saying anyone should drive in the rain with your wipers off) Also, at night, on a two lane road with oncoming traffic (headlights in the eyes), the windshield is 100x better to see through. I’m a PIAA (or equivalent) silicon wiper blade customer for life.