Any Way to Keep voice feature with NAV and Aftrmkt HU??

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2005, 04:02 PM
Hmm...Is that right??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Any Way to Keep voice feature with NAV and Aftrmkt HU??

I thought I saw someone say in a thread that their stereo shop was able to somehow keep the voice feature in their '03 TLS w/Nav. when using an aftermarket head unit. I can't find the thread I was in. Does anyone know if and how this can be done?
Old 02-10-2005, 01:29 PM
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Yo Mike!

Anything is possible... but, sometimes it's a pain in the buttocks and not worth it.

I currently have my voice off because it's annoying when i'm trying to jam out. I don't need that chick coming in ruining my song lol.

If it's really important to you... I think alpine had something... you will have to talk to a technician... It will take some time for you to find the right person to talk to and to get the job done.

Call alpine phone number. They are very helpful usually. Just ask them... I think they have 2 things... One will allow you to use your steering wheel volume controls and the other might be navi voice prompt... but, it might only work with alpine's aftermarke Navi head unit...

At any rate... I would just lose the voice, keep the visual, then rock the house with an aftermarket head unit... If you like the volume of your factory system and want more bass, then add an rca line converter, amp, and a bigger sub.

I don't know about the clarity or sound quality of using the line converters with the other factory speakers, but you can definitly do it.
Old 02-10-2005, 01:36 PM
Boomer SOONER

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
have to agree with Doc. I was kinda worried that I would miss the voice...but I dont. Not at all. Watching the screen is plenty for me - and it would be annoying to have that gay voice come over your song!
Old 02-10-2005, 02:44 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
You need an aftermarket head unit and an amp that uses RCA inputs. Then you can use a multiple RCA input device that switches on a 12v lead and you should be able to maintain the voice on your NAVI.

The PIE MPSS-4 for $37.99 from Crutchfield will do it for you ...

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-QWRcjdU...600&I=469MPSS4

I'm not sure what the NAVI uses to transfer audio to the OEM stereo, but if its line level inputs then you can buy a line level converter to change the audio over to RCAs. If you've already got an aftermarket head unit and an amp, the cost of this probably isn't too bad ... then you just need to figure out where the 12v line for the NAVI is and how to get it to run to the PIE MPSS-4 and you should be golden. Might even be pretty easy if you splice into the NAVI wires in the trunk and just run them to your amp ... no need to fish another set of RCAs from the front of your car to the back.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:10 PM
Hmm...Is that right??

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
wouldn't mind hearing from someone who has achieved this (keeping nav voice with a/m head unit) in their car....