Any transmissions experts in here? Question about 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2016, 11:22 PM
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any transmissions experts in here? Question about 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches.

I've read many a post here of people replacing the 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches on their 2G TL transmission because these electrical components allegedly degrade over time due to wear and tear. Is a pressure switch that's been on a transmission for over 80,000 miles really going to affect shift quality in comparison to a new pressure switch? Or do these things just tend to go out from one second to the next?

I found this interesting Wikipedia article on the failure of electrical components but don't know what section would apply to the degradation of pressure switches.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Failur...nic_components

Thanks in advance.
Old 04-14-2016, 02:59 AM
Drifting

Received 481 Likes on 422 Posts
The 3rd & 4th gear switch preventive maintenance is basically bs. There are 7 or 8 solenoids on the trans, why only change 2, why not all solenoids?

If the trans is shifting fine then the solenoids are working fine. No need to change.

If you have trans problem(s)... try the following first before changing any solenoids.

1. Check the screens under Pressure Solenoids A/B & C.

2. Change 100% of the atf and trans filter if it has a serviceable trans filter.

If problem is still present then it's time to start replacing solenoid(s). Depending on what the problem is- replacing the corresponding solenoids. Not just the 3rd and 4th solenoids automatically. That makes absolutely no sense. The trans have 4/5 gears plus the reverse gear. That's a total if 5 or 6 gears. Two Solenoids does not fit all. LOL

However, there's nothing wrong with doing preventive maintenance in changing the 3rd and 4th gear switches. By definition, preventive maintenance means changing a part as routine maintenance before the part(s) have fail. So don't be surprise if there's little to no improvement in shifting. That's ok bc the part has worn but is still in spec or near end of the service limit (trans shifting fine). Just keep that in mind if you decide to change those two solenoids.

80k Solenoids should be ok.

200k I would say sure change them if you want to for a peace of mind. Besides, you've already got your money's worth already.
The following users liked this post:
Happyjack (04-30-2019)
Old 04-14-2016, 03:12 AM

Received 1,017 Likes on 867 Posts
When I finally got my B7WA out of the car in favor of the AV6..
I was using the OEM Pressure switches (Never changed those in 216,000 Miles) and they were working just fine... The trans died by the common transmission failure, before it died it was shifting fine and smooth under that mileage, so at 80K? nope.
Old 04-14-2016, 05:56 PM
Pro

Received 62 Likes on 58 Posts
Originally Posted by 01acls
The 3rd & 4th gear switch preventive maintenance is basically bs. There are 7 or 8 solenoids on the trans, why only change 2, why not all solenoids?

If the trans is shifting fine then the solenoids are working fine. No need to change.
Just for clarification purposes, 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches are sensors, not solenoids. There has been a lot of buzz about these going bad prematurely on many Honda related forums, I don't know what evidence there is about it though.
Old 04-14-2016, 10:38 PM
Pro

Received 61 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by SuperGreg
Just for clarification purposes, 3rd and 4th gear pressure switches are sensors, not solenoids. There has been a lot of buzz about these going bad prematurely on many Honda related forums, I don't know what evidence there is about it though.
I also do not understand the full functionality or degradation of the switches that well. If anyone is curious about it then go to the gen3 TL side and find IHateCars thread about the switches. They are very similar to the ones on the gen2 TL and the thread has a lot of information.