Another TL Tranny Died Today :(

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another TL Tranny Died Today :(

8 years 6 months. 141,915 miles. R.I.P.

Ok, I knew it was coming. I had been nursing this 2nd gear clutch for months. But the past two days the roads here have sucked here with geasy slushy snow. A lot of tire spinning must have been the last straw.

I go to pull out on Rt. 9 here (just a few hundred yards north of Northeast Acura coincidentally) and THUD. And then the motor just revs, with a ting-ting-ting sound. I was able to get the car off 90% off the road to help avoid the mad traffic there.

Had the car towed to Buffomatic. Will get the cost to repair/rebuild in a day or so. How come trannys in big trucks can usually go 500,000+ miles (pulling tens of thousands of pounds) with no problems. But these cheesey tranny's Honda use die after 60,000 to 140,000 miles?

Still an Acura fan.......but when your TL's tranny dies while you are driving it you get a different perpective on things

Jeff
Old 01-02-2008, 09:10 PM
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 49 Posts
Sorry to hear your tranny quit on you. Try to speak to acura client services and see if they can split the cost after you hear from the dealer. Hope things go well for you.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:41 AM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. Not exactly the way you want to ring for the new year I'm sure. What year was your car?
Old 01-03-2008, 01:54 AM
Team Owner

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,067 Posts
phee with a 99 just got coverage by talking directly with the dealership and they got acura to cover his 99 trans failure

You should have gone in while in the time limits and prob was evident, but being nice and explaining that you didnt know about the extended warranty yadayada

as always- I suggest a box of donuts and a chat with the service manager

Other makes of cars are lucky if the whole car makes it to 100 to 150k miles!!
Old 01-03-2008, 10:18 AM
Racer

Yea, it's a '99. Do you think Acura will really do anything at this point? I was going to give them a call shortly. I do know the place I had the car towed to does a good job and will use the latest upgraded compontents and it should go another 100,000k no problem. But let me see what Acura says...
Old 01-03-2008, 11:06 AM
Team Owner

4 speed or 5 speed automatic?
the dealers service MANAGER should be the contact point- 800 customer care, will blow you off and say no coverage.
Read the threads by phee- use search
his 99 was just given a goodwill trans

the acura replacements are better than any shop rebuild because you get the upgraded NEW case design with better oil passages- not reuse your case with the old design

shops about 2500 for rebuild acura total 4000
see if acura will do anything to get money split or better- they are desperate for work this time of year.
Old 01-03-2008, 08:48 PM
Racer

I have the 4 speed automatic.

Ok, early this morning the tranny shop called and said the problem is definitely inside the tranny. Do they have my permission to drop the pan. I said "Ok"...she said they'd get to it sometime today.

I immediately called my dealer to see if Acura might pick up any of the cost. I told them where the car was and I had no choice but to tow it somewhere and get it off Rt 9. She said they would have to look at the car first. I said to do that I'd have to get the car towed again to their garage, was there any chance a tech there could go over and look at the car at the tranny place. I'd pay for his time. She insisted no, I had to bring the car there. I asked what the chances were they'd pick up some of the cost. She said they would probably do "something". She looked up my cars VIN and said it was beyond the 109,000 mile extension Acura gave out for my vehicle but they would probably still do "something". I said "25%? 40%?..." "Sir, we need to look at the car first"

Ok....I understand that. I was as nice as I could be. I asked her if I could speak with someone in service. I got Dave. Again, I was as nice as I could be. I told Dave the situation and again he said they had to look at the car there. He said they most likely could do something under Good Will...he asked if I was the original owner, I said I was. Then after some more back and forth he said they'd probably do half of "warranty cost" so it might cost me $1000 or so. I said "I thought the cost might reach $4000....so half would be $2000". He said its half of "warranty cost"....which I guess is less. He was getting a little annoyed at my questions....but hey, I understand he is probably busy. I just explained this does not happen to me every day so I just want to understand what the cost might be. I got his extension and said I may call him back later.

Ok, so I can't say Acura did not step up and offer me something here. He also said the rebuild would have a 3 year / 36,000 mile warranty. Can't complain about that.

I call back my tranny guy and they already started to take the tranny out. This local shop is highly regarded in this area. They do a lot of foreign cars and the local dealers send work to him.

So.....I think I am stuck using the local tranny shop. But when I asked my dealer several months ago about a rebuilt tranny cost I thought I figured over $4000 when shipping and labor was added in. And my local tranny shop said they'd use any upgraded components he could get. That and the fact I read in these threads that some rebuilds guys got failed after just a few months.....so I was leaning toward my local tranny shop. Now it may end up costing me a few bucks.

But the fact my local dealer would not tell me what the cost would be to put in a re-build bugs me! They know the cost. I am sure they have done at least several. So why can't he tell me what a typical tranny swap out costs? I wasn't even asking for an exact number, I said to the guy "Just a ball park, I know you can't be exact." and he says "I can't say until we see the car" .....which would cost me another tow job just to have them look at it.

eeeeeeee Either way I am out a few bucks here.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:21 PM
On The Road

Thumbs down

Dude, take the car to Acura. Your car has 150,000 miles on it and the tranny isn't even close to being under warranty. If you could get it replaced for $1K, that's quite awesome.

They have to see the car - they aren't idiots. They have no clue what condition your car is in.
Old 01-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Team Owner

dont let the other shop open the trans at all !!!! or you are stuck with them- acura wont cover you
Of course the dealer needs to see the car- diagnose it, and see what teh regional rep can do for you as an original owner- thats goodwill getting ready to happen

Go to the dealer-
you think your guy is the ultimate rebuilder? parts fail- thats what happens to an occassional rebuilt unit anywhere

again- search memeber phee
and his story of trans failure and dealer hookup
Old 01-03-2008, 10:19 PM
Racer

It may be too late. Plus I'd have another tow job to pay for. Plus the last few times I got quotes at this dealership.....well, lets just say the "new guys" there are not the same guys there when I bought the car. I don't want to say any more.

Well, I may have screwed up. But when I talked to one of the service techs a few months ago when I was in there, like I said above, we figured probably over $4000 for them to do it. And they were offering me nothing on warranty.

The "around $1000" was not in writing and would still have to be approved by Acura. I am not saying they would not do it for that price, it's just this whole equation had a lot of "ifs". I could have got the car to Acura and they could have said "It's just the torque converter, well replace that for $1000".....then I still have 8.5 year old parts in the rest of the tranny. I don't know. I think my dealership is probably one of the better ones based on what I've here in these forums. But again, a lot of"ifs" here.

I made made my decisions on the info I had at the time....good or bad.

I will post what Sean tells me in the morning. I suspect my tranny is already out of the car...

I really would have prefered not to deal with this at all. Maybe I'll just put a Fuller 13 speed in there with Hi/Lo range from a truck....in a passenger car it should last about 3 million miles.

Thanks for the replies.....appreciate all of them
Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Drifting

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
You know, I feel like venting a little. First, you were told by people in this thread to go to Acura before you posted saying you gave the other shop permission to look at the tranny. Mistake 1. You want to avoid the cost of having to tow your car, great, when your rebuild fails you can tow it then instead, and Acura wont cover a dime of it.

The other thing I can't get over is that Acura can really get off charging anything for a new transmission for the TL. They blew it, big time, and now they expect the owners to have to eat any of the cost of their mistake? Hell, if I had to pay a dime for a new transmission the car would be for sale once I had gotten it back from Acura. That's ridiculous. Still, you should have gone to Acura. Oh well.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:00 AM
Racer

Dude, enough. I am not knocking Acura. Just their crappy transmissions. And when the phone rang early yesterday I had to make decision. I HAD ALREADY TALKED TO MY DEALERSHIP, IN PERSON, A FEW MONTHS AGO AND WAS TOLD THEN WE WERE LOOKING AT $4000+ALL ON ME ....FOR A REBUIILD I SEE MANY HERE COMPLAIN FAILED IN MONTHS.

Vent all you want want. The tranny place was trying to help me buy by getting my car right in.

But yes, it may affect my next car purchase.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:40 PM
Team Owner

you talked to to a tech about cost WHYYYYY?
not the service MANAGER!!!!!!!!!! as every trans failure thread on azine tells you to do.
I am not going to review the fine points of how well acura is taking care of trans customers on out of warranty conditions.
35-50 bucks for a tow-vesus 2500+++++ for unknown shop to ..... and then a faulty repair requires tow and rebuild again......

Acura had a problem - so does every car made- if it causes you to distrust the TL sell it right away and buy a toyota
People with trans failures gather here- so the amount is not representative overall
Old 01-04-2008, 12:42 PM
Team Owner

8 years 6months 142k miles trouble free- most cars are ready to retire then,
and all the TL needs is a freshening of the trans- what a bargain!!

btw- acura does not replace any seperate parts like the convertor- it test as good trans, or its replaced as a unit that comes on a pallet ready to go in
Old 01-04-2008, 01:37 PM
Racer

01tl4tl, why are you upset and yelling? I'm the one with a toasted TL tranny. Your more upset than I am. Forgive me for not knowing the chain of command at the Acura dealership. I guess I should have been prepared for 'the day my tranny died". But I am glad you are such an expert on all things Acura.

The other reason I hesitated using my dealer was because last time I was in there he charges me like $95 bucks to tell why the engine light was on.....I complained and they dropped the price a bit. But they were still quoting me like $1000+ for a bunch of stuff that later turned out to be a failing ingnition switch and nothing to do with what they thought the car needed. I quit even getting oil changes there or similar things.

>>and all the TL needs is a freshening of the trans- what a bargain!!<<

Did you hear me once complain about my TL or the cost? I love the car. There is a reason I still have it 8.5 years. I agree with you, if a new tranny gets me another 3 or 5 years out the car I'm happy (the average life of a car today is 17 years...I could probably drive it abother 8 years). But I am not screaming "Acura owes me a transmission!" or "I got ripped off!". Hey, I am fully aware these are machines with a design life. They DO wear out. I just not all that happy with my tranny going.....but I am not blaming anyone or crying victim here. If you own and drive a car it costs a lot of money. I fully accept that.

As far as the "unknown shop" it is not. I have known Sean over 10 years and he has a real solid reputation in this area. In fact I had my TL in there at one point because I heard what I thought might be a u-joint going. Even though his bays were full of cars and work the guy said "lets go for a ride" (turned out to be nothing bad)....then when I said "what do I owe you?" for a half hour of his time he says "Don't worry about it".

>>btw- acura does not replace any seperate parts like the convertor- it test as good trans, or its replaced as a unit that comes on a pallet ready to go in<<

Noted.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:39 PM
Team Owner

Jeff
go back and read your first post, and check the attitude you displayed-
You have been a member here for 5 years! And you were not aware of how to handle acura on a warranty wear out> c'mon- you are not a ~had the car 3 months~ nooooob

I would like to see the research where you found cars built today designed to last 17 years as you say. BMW has a recycle code on all their parts---they are not thinking past 10 years and the car is recycled- that 2-3 owners and done!!

You say you knew you there was a trans problem for months - that means you were able to go to the dealer in that time. There are diagnosis fees quoted and not charged to you when warranty prob is found. Thats a legal thing for paperwork to prove they are not stripping your car for parts- ie: stolen car

Your guy may be known to you- but has he rebuilt 50 or more TL transmissions?
If not- then he is an unknown to that job
Even acura's rebuilding shop can encounter a bad set of parts- maybe selenoids or seal or...
thats going to happen when you build anything

I do not claim to know all things Acura- I often post or PM others for help on an issue I cant find with search button. Once I know something, I try to share it with interested parties.

I do know a bit about dealerships and techs from actual personal life experience working in those jobs, and I maintain a good relationship with the local service Manager and the top Tech, who goes for free test rides whenever I have a question.

As for why the dealer could not tell you how much acura would help- it's because they have to CALL a Regional Acura Rep and talk with them for approval. After they have seen your car of course- why would they ask for trans help when the real prob may be ........
Until its been checked by then- you were asking the impossible- you want a number based on your own gonkulations--hows 4 grand! and someone just earned a fishing trip~

A trans that last 60-140k is good by todays standards- look at fords or VW tiptronics= 50k failure no warranty!!
Think acura had it fixed in 03-04?, look at gen 3 thread on trans failures- worse than ours~

Acura makes good on trans replacements- anyone not aware of the symptoms and solutions must not belong to acurazine
Old 01-04-2008, 03:14 PM
Drifting

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
What the hell man? Why are you giving this dude such a hard time about the course of action he choose, no doubt under a good deal of duress. It's not like he came back and started calling Honda a crappy company for abandoning him. He stated his problem, what he's done about it so far and you jumped down his throat. Now you're indirectly attacking his character?

Dude, have a drink and settle yourself down. He's the one with a blown up tranny and he's downright placid.
Old 01-04-2008, 03:46 PM
Team Owner

Please excuse my stress
the 40 foot tall-20 foot wide pine tree in the neighbors backyard-
that needed trimming for years....

Is now residing IN my pool and on my roof, and only the stump remains on their side of whats left of the fence!!!!!! The tree cutting guys cant come till tomorrow- maybe- and they dont even haul it away in the deal!!!

so things that were known probs and could have been handled when if wasnt a huge stress..... are a touchy subject now- sorry
Now I will go fix the leak at kids house now, and stock up for the impending blackout and floods! Too much rain fore the TL so relegated to the old beater truck too~
wont someone feel sorry for me!!!! <g>

Jeff does smack talk acura and the dealer- the current prob caomes from his own lack of initiative on getting it inspected or failure to ever read acurazine trans failure threads in 5 years of being a member.
Thats all I am saying.
Old 01-04-2008, 06:58 PM
Racer

Ok, I do want to reply to this but none of us need the extra stress right now it sounds like. So lets take this low and slow...

1. My "attitude": I came here to just relay my experience. I thought it came across as subdude and somber. That's how I felt. Not angry. Just bumbed out and wanting to talk about it. But I guess people can read things differently without tone of voice or facial expressions.

2. The 17 year life cycle: That is from John McElroy on AutoLine Detroit who was siteing a report that tracks such things. It was on one of his shows a couple months ago. I can't recall the exact show but you can watch them here yourself. It will confirm what I said. All good shows actually.
http://www.autolinedetroit.tv/autoli....php?year=2007

3. History of the problem: Yes I had a feeling there was an issue with the 2nd gear clutch. I talked to my dealer. I knew the history of these transmissions from this forum. It was going to need a rebuild at some point. I dont know what the dealer could do to 'diagnose' it without opening it up. And Acura dealers don't fix transmissions. They just replace them. I got a quote to do that. $4000+. My plan was to get a few more months out of it then address the issue. It all seemed do-able until I spent two days spinning my tires in snow.

4. 50 transmissions?: All they do is trannys. Sean and his crew probably do 20 to 25 a week (or more) from what I see. He has 7 bays and a huge shop. They do lots of foriegn cars including Honda and Acuras. He was fully aware of the issues with the '01 TL's. But the fact is I did read many of the posts here, any many guys had their Acura rebuilds die shortly after getting them. That was but of the decison factor a couple days ago.

5. The Cost: I was asking the guy at my dealer "if" the tranny is replaced what is the typical cost to do that. I was not even asking for an exact price...rebuilt tranny + shipping + labor = cost. It can be ball parked. I just wanted an idea of the cost if that needed to be done.

6. Smack talk: I thought I was fair and accurate in what I said about Acura and my local dealer. I even said "I can't say Acura did not step up and offer me something here" and "I think my dealership is probably one of the better ones based on what I've here in these forums." And I even said "well, lets just say the "new guys" there are not the same guys there when I bought the car. I don't want to say any more."...at that point I was trying to avoid saying anything bad about anybody. Then you got me getting into details of my experiances with my dealer I would have left unsaid

Well, maybe all the above info can be of help to someone. The main reason for having a forum like this...sharing experiences and information. From 2001 when all this tranny stuff in the TL's started I have nervously waited for the hammer to fall on mine...at least I won't have to worry about it anymore

Sorry to hear about the tree man...that is something I am pretty sure Acura Customer Service can't help with

Jeff
Old 01-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Team Owner

Sorry I came across wrong Jeff- I herby publically apologize to you, and to all- for being online when I have problems of my own and it comes across in post wrong- didnt mean to slam or offend anyone.

I also hate to see anyone here pay for a trans, it offends me, so I have privately and publicly helped several members get full or partial coverage- even after flat out denials by Acura, or repairs by outside shops. Having worked inside the industry for many many years in different posititions, I learned things the average person would not know, and what to say when requesting things from a dealership.

The dealer tech checks for any codes and test drives the cars
Lots of transmissions and lots of TL transmissions are different story, you have a contact with the RARE experienced place you trust. May cost 2500 but thats a still a heck of a deal for the lifespan of the car versus its overall upkeep cost.
May your rebuild be perfect and last another 150k - thats amazing miles

State Farm Customer Care did offer to take a report!
It was Ficus tree..... right sir???
because your policy only covers Ficus tree damage,
not- ~there is a giant tree laying on my new roof!!!
Old 01-04-2008, 08:49 PM
Racer

No need for an aplology. I have been around this and other boards long enough to know we all (including myself) can be sucked into a debate or discussion and start type things we might have said differently had we had just walked away from the keyboard for a few minuets. Having a tree in your pool and on your house did not help matters I am sure. Makes my tranny problem seem not so bad

BTW thanks for all your posts on this forum. I am sure it is a better, more informative, forum because of it.
Old 01-05-2008, 11:24 AM
Team Owner

in normal coversations:
70% of what you get from the other person is from their body language
17% their voice-tonality-inflection
13% actual content of their words

in a forum, you have to guess and use colors for different meanings and appearently many other things I dont even know about~
shhhh dont tell my wife I said there are things I dont know!
Old 05-18-2008, 09:52 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by JeffNY
No need for an aplology. I have been around this and other boards long enough to know we all (including myself) can be sucked into a debate or discussion and start type things we might have said differently had we had just walked away from the keyboard for a few minuets. Having a tree in your pool and on your house did not help matters I am sure. Makes my tranny problem seem not so bad

BTW thanks for all your posts on this forum. I am sure it is a better, more informative, forum because of it.
hey Jeff wanted to ask you if you ever got this resolved with the dealer. my trans or at least my torque converter is going on my car and it is a 1999 CL. i am not the original owner however I was wondering if it makes a difference. I mean if I just said yes I am how could they disprove it? In any case I am torn between having the shop look at it or taking it to the dealer. let me know yor thoguhts.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:16 PM
Team Owner

99- you are well past the warranty extension of 7 years plus 9 months from date of first use/sold- though thats not a deal breaker- see trans thread by phee for success story

Warranty does not care if you are the 1st or 25th owner- its the cars warranty, not you!
A trans shop gets about $2500 depending on whats needed inside- its not worth doing a half azzz job on a trans. If its just a torque convertor thats a different matter
How many miles are on the car now?
Take it to aamco for a check- maybe cottman as well and compare answers
Acura gets 3500-4gs for the rebuilt trans if you buy one outright from them- if they are selling them- there is a shortage I heard of recently and they were only doing warranty replacements- no over the counter sales

If you have the 4 speed its a better more reliable trans than the 5, they shoved more parts in the same space and it gets hot- try to look surprised
Old 05-18-2008, 10:39 PM
Racer

Well, I was lucky I had a really good local transmission guy that I trusted a lot. So, as I recall the situation, I had a choice to use the dealer who could not quote me a price or my tranny guy. I opted for my tranny guy. That may have cost me a few dollars but I feel good about my decision. I can pull out the reciept if you like but basically it was:
$2450 to rebuild tranny and for new torque converter (mine was blown apart)
$500 or so for new drive shaft
$500 for misc. components and sales tax
.....about $3500 total. But for that I have all new or upgraded components to from the engine to the wheels, new CV boots, everything. He even replaced the "neutral switch" I think it is called. He tells me, and I trust him, that "it should go 300,000 with the upgraded parts". My engine probabaly won't last that long but I plan now to keep the car for a few more years. So I think it was a good deal.

BTW way, after I had the tranny rebuilt I called Acura Client Services and asked if they would pick up any of the cost given the issues they had with the trannys. But the guy said "No sorry. If it was maybe a little over the 109,000 mile limit MAYBE I could do something. But not at 140,000...." he said. Hey, it doesn't hurt to ask right? But given what he said I wonder how much my dealer really could have done on the price. Plus I needed a new drive shaft.....

How many miles on your car? Less than 109,000? I think that was the extended limit.

I would ask your dealer for a quote to look at your tranny and if its reasonable have them test it and have them give you a quote to repair (and if any warranty applies). Do you have a good tranny guy in your area you trust who could also look at it? I would ask their opinion too.

One other suggestion, if you feel the tranny is going to at any time keep the phone number of a good towing company in your cell phone. When mine went I had the # of a towing company I use for my heavy trucks. Within 10 minuets or so of my tranny blowing my TL was being loaded onto a flat bed truck...and shortly after that on her way to the tranny shop. It is good you are planning ahead on what to do....

I am glad my rebuild is over....now I feel safe driving the car on long trips, even cross county or to Florida if I want to....

Jeff
Old 05-18-2008, 11:29 PM
Team Owner

the warranty limit is 7 years plus 9 months or 109k miles
There are cases where acura works with the customer over limits- it takes help from your service manager and acura regional rep to make it happen

Acura dealers do not open the trans case and do any repairs on them at the shop.
They pull the codes and do a road test and smell the dipstick for burned fluid.
If its at the dealer getting the old 2004 recall for external oil jet kit install,
they look inside with a boroscope camera for damage to certain parts- if they are hurt- warranty trans replacement. yeajh!!!!!
The only thing they can do ona out of warranty car is inspect, and quote the retail price of labor and the replacement unit
There is a story recently that no over the counter sales of replacements were available- only have enough for warranty jobs
On warranty replacement- the entire unit is removed and shipped to a place that does acura's rebuilds, and then it goes on the shelf untill needed by a dealer (they fly off the shelf).
Your old one is stripped for parts that are reuseable and the rest recycled for cash (my guess on recycle)
Old 05-18-2008, 11:47 PM
Racer

Oh, one thing my tranmission guy suggested is changing the tranmission fluid every 13,000 miles or so I think he said. And even at that I think he said only half the oil is changed (the other half in the tranny somewhere). That may not have helped my original tranny but I may do now anyway. It is cheap insurance I think.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:03 AM
7th Gear

Sup guys I see you have problems with auto tranny mine just went crazy today when my tranny start making hard shifts and than the vsa went on and check engine. I bought my TL type S 2 months ago with 67,000 miles. how much does the transmission run for if I am not covered?
Old 05-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Ya....It's an Acura

Originally Posted by JeffNY
8 years 6 months. 141,915 miles. R.I.P.

Ok, I knew it was coming. I had been nursing this 2nd gear clutch for months. But the past two days the roads here have sucked here with geasy slushy snow. A lot of tire spinning must have been the last straw.

I go to pull out on Rt. 9 here (just a few hundred yards north of Northeast Acura coincidentally) and THUD. And then the motor just revs, with a ting-ting-ting sound. I was able to get the car off 90% off the road to help avoid the mad traffic there.

Had the car towed to Buffomatic. Will get the cost to repair/rebuild in a day or so. How come trannys in big trucks can usually go 500,000+ miles (pulling tens of thousands of pounds) with no problems. But these cheesey tranny's Honda use die after 60,000 to 140,000 miles?

Still an Acura fan.......but when your TL's tranny dies while you are driving it you get a different perpective on things

Jeff

Because the tranny's used in GMC and Chevy full-ton diesels as well as Semi's are the Allison transmissions...the same transmissions used in the Abrahams M1A1 Tank....so there that is haha
Old 05-19-2008, 06:06 PM
Racer

Lox, get it looked at by a good transmission guy. A hard shifting tranny does not mean it's "blown". It could be even just a bad ground wire (when my car was on the lift my tranny guy showed me the heavy copper cable that is by the front driver side wheel. He was saying as cars get older they can be cause of problems if they work loose. These transmissions run by computer so good electrical connections are critical. It could also be just the "neutral switch", I am NOT a transmission guy, but that switch is critical to the operation of the tranny I understand. They are about $100-$150 bucks I think (...but a lot less than a whole rebuild). You really need to get a guy who knows foreign transmissions to look at and check it out. Start asking friends who they had a good experience with....
Old 05-19-2008, 06:10 PM
Racer

ftLauTL, actually mine are Eaton-Fullers...
Old 05-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Team Owner

lox- you have at least an 02 or newer being a TYpe S, so you are inside both time and miles limit
assuming thats not a ~salvage title~ car- take it to the dealer who will say there is a 100 dollar diagnosis fee- thats a legal issue not for you to worry about- just sign the paper and write a good description of the problems for the tech to read
The dealer checks it out- if bad- warranty replacement and warranty pays the diagnosis and you get a fresh car in 5 days
If its not the trans- they will figure out whats wrong quickly and you go from there!
you can verify 7yr9 month/109 coverage by registering with acura and check the recall section- need your VIN to register
http://owners.acura.com/registration...erstepone.aspx
make sure the 2004 recall for oil jet kit says it was completed
the next line should say warranty extension campaign- 7-109 yadyada OPEN
that means your covred no question
If a late 03- we can still help you
Take a read of the first and last few pages on thread titled Tranny Failure
Old 05-21-2008, 11:25 AM
7th Gear

thanks you guys jef and tl4 i went to the dealer they got my acura and strted to work on the tranny i got 14 months left or 109,000 miles warranty on the car which ever comes first i am guessing the 14 months. They going to do it for free even the towing was free. ill get my car back into week they said which is sad because they have no loner car. Thanks though for the insights.
Old 05-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Racer

Lox, glad things worked out for ya....
Old 05-22-2008, 06:52 AM
2nd Gear

Jeff,

Reading all these posts it is hard to understand how much people were an a$$hole to you regarding your problem. That is sad. In any case my local mechanic , I dont even go to the dealer anymore because I do not trust them much, replaced the transmission solenoid kit and now the trans is back in great working condition for now anyway. 115,000 miles and counting (praying I should say).
Old 05-22-2008, 09:04 AM
Racer

Naw...everybody here was fine. In a public forum everyone can speak out and contribute and that's Ok. The only down side is you usually here more from the people who have a different view than yours But it's Ok, thats what makes the world go round.

Glad yours was an (kinda) easy fix!