Another New Noise?!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2002, 03:32 AM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Another New Noise?!

I have a 2000 TL, I pulled into the driveway tonite after work (about 4am) and do the usual pull in the driveway put it in park and let it sit for a second before shutting it off. Well tonite i heard i new noise, It sounds like a little waterfall.Its under the hood, its really noticable from in the cabin and thats it, its really hard to detect it if you have the hood open unless you're really listening for it. I'm thinking along the lines of waterpump or something in that area, i slowly raised the RPM's and the rate of the water noise rose as well. I'm tired and i have no clue what this noise is, is it something that wont be there when i start it tomorrow? Or is it a problem to the point that i may want to call the dealership tomorrow? Just your thoughts on the problem, thanks.

howard
Old 01-27-2002, 05:00 AM
Three Wheelin'

I'm going to say check the coolant level when you wake up. Make sure the engine is cold!

It would seem like a coolant system related prob. but I'm not sure at all. Does the HVAC still funtion properly? I doubt it's condensation from the AC condenser because your in cold PA. Besides, that should not make much noise. If the coolant is low and has air in it, it might make some noises in the system like in the heater core or something. I'm not to familiar with the TL's HVAC and cooling sytem too much so this might be useless info.
I have no idea why I mentioned this as I'm sure you would of checked it yourself anyway

Good luck
Old 01-27-2002, 02:27 PM
Instructor

Angry Noise has been identified!!

OK i went to start the car this morning and the noise that i thought i would hear last night was much much worse. You can now hear it from outside the car, so i popped the hood to have a look see. and this grinding noise was coming from the top pully (gold one), which is the powersteering pump. I looked at the fluid level and its far below "Min". so i figured it was low, but yet enough to keep the pump somewhat quiet. After i shut it off last night it allowed the fluid to all drain into the reservoir. When i started it up cold, the pump was pretty much running dry. so thats the noise ladies and gentleman, the only problem now is figuring out how and why i am losing powersteering fluid. i've been doing donuts in the snow, umm last night i was at blockbuster (work) and our parking lot is slanted, and i was moving the the car to a lower spot in the lot.. i just turned the key on, and put it in N, therefore the powersteering wouldn't have been active, could that result in lose of fluid? I've heard rumors that automatic transmission fluid is the same fluid as powersteering fluid (the same type of fluid) and that it can be used as a substitute, whats the deal with that? I think i'll just put some fluid in it, and if i start to lose that, i'll just call the dealership and drop her off...

thanks,
howard