Amsoil ATF Users- Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 01:07 AM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Amsoil ATF Users- Question

I have a quick question for the Amsoil ATF users.

Upon switching to Amsoil ATF in your TL, have you noticed firmer shifting under wide open throttle and/or normal driving?

Regardless of whether you noticed firmer or smoother shifting upon switching to Amsoil ATF, please state how many drain and refills you performed.

Thanks.
Old 05-23-2006, 03:54 PM
Initial D

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Drain and file with 3 qts last week, better down shift. I also have this clamping noise when I shift from P to D. New fluid whether it is Honda ATF or Amsoil, both help to reduce the noise. With Honda ATF, the noise returns only after 1 month, not sure about Amsoil yet.
Old 06-13-2006, 05:14 PM
Initial D

Just found a Honda Z1 ATF oil analysis result from
http://theoildrop.server101.com/ubb/...;f=50;t=000063
'99 Honda Accord 2.3L Auto
63k total miles
dealer drain/fills @ 30k and 50k.
girlfriend's car... mainly city drving, nothing too rigorous
The result came back aluminum and iron is way out of wear limit, suggestion is to change ATF after only 13K of last drain and fill. This is a four cylinder car, and our TL has a V6 and should put more stress on the tranny. God knows how fast TL's tranny cook Honda Z1 ATF
Old 06-13-2006, 09:03 PM

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts
Blackstone's recommendations are a bit on the conservative end...as the wear metals are no where near the limits...but that transmission in my opinion, needs to be watched as Al is high for that many miles.

Note that the fluid was never changed completely...only partially drained, so keep that in mind.
Old 06-14-2006, 02:55 PM
Initial D

My TL's service manual calls for ATF replacement every 60K, which is inadaquet if you believe this oil analysis result. This guy did a drain and fill @ 30K, and again @ 50K, here he is at 63K and oil analysis showed too much metal particles.
Micheal, do you think installing an external tranny filter may help to extend the life of ATF? To me Honda ATF Z1, let assume it is not burned so viscosity is still good, should have enough additives. Looks like high metal particles forces ATF to be drained.
I wonder why vicosity at 40 degree is not reported. One of the reason I went with Amsoil is for better flash point protection and higher viscosity index over Honda ATF Z1.
Is this typical?
I believe oil analysis are just like Dyno testing, you need at least two to tell the whole story. It would be interesting if this person has before/after drain and fill tests or a series of oil analysis results.
Old 06-14-2006, 09:50 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 3,063 Likes on 2,119 Posts
Originally Posted by TunedTL
My TL's service manual calls for ATF replacement every 60K, which is inadaquet if you believe this oil analysis result. This guy did a drain and fill @ 30K, and again @ 50K, here he is at 63K and oil analysis showed too much metal particles.
Micheal, do you think installing an external tranny filter may help to extend the life of ATF? To me Honda ATF Z1, let assume it is not burned so viscosity is still good, should have enough additives. Looks like high metal particles forces ATF to be drained.
I wonder why vicosity at 40 degree is not reported. One of the reason I went with Amsoil is for better flash point protection and higher viscosity index over Honda ATF Z1.
Is this typical?
I believe oil analysis are just like Dyno testing, you need at least two to tell the whole story. It would be interesting if this person has before/after drain and fill tests or a series of oil analysis results.
my no to the filter, and my tranny lasted longest when i changed the fluid at 50k. Nothing will help our trannies. maybe the new ones with parts that are upgraded but not the old. fluid isnt the issue on our trannies!