Am I Better Off Buying A VAFC I or II ?

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 01:00 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Am I Better Off Buying A VAFC I or II ?

i know what the differences are, but the question remains to me is whether or not it's worth the money to go with the VAFC2. my first inclination is yes since it allows more precise tuning increments, but obviously i could be wrong and blowing smoke up my own ass. does anyone out there have a solid conclusion on this? thanks.

SSTS
Old 08-23-2004, 01:35 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NONE save your money and buy headers
Old 08-23-2004, 01:50 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by Linner
NONE save your money and buy headers
that's a final step for me, but i don't want to sacrifice my low end torque for high end horsepower at this point. that and it costs less for the VAFC

SSTS
Old 08-23-2004, 03:24 PM
Banned

Where are you buying the VAFC from?? Also brand new OBX headers will only cost you like $300 + shipping...
Old 08-23-2004, 05:31 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ebay OBX stainless go for 331shipped (this is where i got mine from) And a new Vafc will run for 270shipped and a Vafc II for 290shipped (YOU MUST GET NEW because used has the wires already spliced)

To get either vafc you should have atleast 3 outa 4 of this: i/h/p/e otherwise you'll just be wasting money AND GAS. The extra $20 upgrade from I to II is worth it, i got vafc I and not being able to have 2 tuning curves is something i'd give $50 for (daily street/gaseffective map and a racing/gasanihilating map)

Consider Vafc as a culminating mod.

peace
Old 08-23-2004, 08:46 PM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by etxxz
ebay OBX stainless go for 331shipped (this is where i got mine from) And a new Vafc will run for 270shipped and a Vafc II for 290shipped (YOU MUST GET NEW because used has the wires already spliced)

To get either vafc you should have atleast 3 outa 4 of this: i/h/p/e otherwise you'll just be wasting money AND GAS. The extra $20 upgrade from I to II is worth it, i got vafc I and not being able to have 2 tuning curves is something i'd give $50 for (daily street/gaseffective map and a racing/gasanihilating map)

Consider Vafc as a culminating mod.

peace
i have some local connections for getting a VAFC for very cheap so that's not too much of a problem for me.

i have the intake right now. i'm having pulleys and exhaust done with the VAFC. the local riceshop guy seems to think i can do without the exhaust though and offered to test his theory on his dyno for free so i will let him go ahead. he is extremely knowledgeable and i would like to see if he is right. it's just not worth it for me to go with headers. the dyno doesn't lie, and we see where it makes or takes power. that's just not the way i want to go quite yet. maybe soon, but not yet.

i will definately go with the VAFC2 though. i appreciate all the input. i used to deal with yamaha engines alot in the last forum i belonged to when i had my taurus SHO, so i'm pretty familiar with how to squeeze a little juice out of a japanese engine whenever i get around to getting this done though i will be happy to post dyno number for a comparison.

SSTS
Old 08-23-2004, 08:54 PM
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
i have some local connections for getting a VAFC for very cheap so that's not too much of a problem for me.

i have the intake right now. i'm having pulleys and exhaust done with the VAFC. the local riceshop guy seems to think i can do without the exhaust though and offered to test his theory on his dyno for free so i will let him go ahead. he is extremely knowledgeable and i would like to see if he is right. it's just not worth it for me to go with headers. the dyno doesn't lie, and we see where it makes or takes power. that's just not the way i want to go quite yet. maybe soon, but not yet.

i will definately go with the VAFC2 though. i appreciate all the input. i used to deal with yamaha engines alot in the last forum i belonged to when i had my taurus SHO, so i'm pretty familiar with how to squeeze a little juice out of a japanese engine whenever i get around to getting this done though i will be happy to post dyno number for a comparison.

SSTS
Pleae do post your dyno results when you get the chance! I am also in the market for a VAFC, so I would be extremely interested in your results.
Old 08-23-2004, 09:47 PM
@ slide or die @

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Know either mod wont give anything in the low end, but in the highend, headers will give a hell lot more. Combine both and its even better.

exhaust is just show for our cars (2hp at most w/ vafcII 2.1hp) Remember Vafc just regulates airflow on the vtec area aswell as moves it to the perfect place for better performance. NOT POWER, you might get some because you'll be getting power earlier and givin the engine space to develop more.

You do what you please, i think that your i+e and vafc combo will raise you from 260hp to 275hp and lower your 1/4dramaticly since when you shitf to 2nd and 3rd you wont fall outa vtec (performance) BUT i recomend you do the headers first.

either way i'd like to see the dynoes!

-----
a bit off topic, how do i earn this "reputation" points?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:52 AM
ChairmanMaoSaysRTFM

Originally Posted by etxxz
Know either mod wont give anything in the low end, but in the highend, headers will give a hell lot more. Combine both and its even better.

exhaust is just show for our cars (2hp at most w/ vafcII 2.1hp) Remember Vafc just regulates airflow on the vtec area aswell as moves it to the perfect place for better performance. NOT POWER, you might get some because you'll be getting power earlier and givin the engine space to develop more.

You do what you please, i think that your i+e and vafc combo will raise you from 260hp to 275hp and lower your 1/4dramaticly since when you shitf to 2nd and 3rd you wont fall outa vtec (performance) BUT i recomend you do the headers first.

either way i'd like to see the dynoes!

-----
a bit off topic, how do i earn this "reputation" points?
well i definitely want headers, but since this guy is offering to lend me dyno time for free to test his theory (and basically i'm getting some of the labor free too) then i will be more than happy to let him go at it for a day. he is all too familiar with tuning vtec engines, so i bet he can deliver on some of what he says. besides, even if i don't get the gain i want then i was going to buy it anyway, so i'm halfway there.

there's no disputing the fact that my high end will sing with headers. like i said, i'm just apprehensive about dropping my low end power when i install them. which is really my only problem.

we shall see. i will definately post results as i get them. i expect to do this within another month to two months.

as far as reputation points goes, check your PMs

SSTS
Old 08-24-2004, 01:18 PM
mushroom mushroom

Originally Posted by SatinSilverTypS
that's a final step for me, but i don't want to sacrifice my low end torque for high end horsepower at this point. that and it costs less for the VAFC

SSTS

not in the long run. Say $300 for AFC, $120ish for the install, $120 for tune. And thats if you want to just stick the thing in your glovebox. Additionally if you are looking for some good WHP gains you are looking in the wrong department. The AFC will get you very very small number in comparison to headers.

Another thing to add is that the AFC should be the last motor mod on your list. So it can be properly tuned.