Almost wrecked Saturday night

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 02:56 PM
Senior Moderator

Received 616 Likes on 294 Posts
Almost wrecked Saturday night

Thankfully, It was just a 1 car accident, and i wasnt involved

I was heading into the city with a friend on the Cross Island Pkwy (for the NY'rs). To those who dont know its a 3 lane pkwy with concrete thats several feet high on both sides and no real shoulders., so its concrete followed by 3 lanes and more concrete.

I was in the middle lane doing about 70mph, and in the left lane right in front of me was a Mitsu Galant following another car. There were some big orange construction barrels in the shoulder on the left, but since there is no real shoulder, they jut into the lane a bit.

I was just driving when I noticed the woman driving the Mitsu start driftin way too far left. I started to slow a little in case she clipped the barrel, so I wouldnt hit it, but the next thing I know, she got nailed by one on her drivers side mostly at the rear or the car.

Everything after that happened in seconds because it was over before I knew it, but it seemed like it was in slow motion. She yanked the wheel hard to the right, and over corrected, then she yanked it hard left, again too much, and one more time far right.

The body roll was sickening, my friend told me later he thought she was going to flip the car over it tipped up so high, then she totally lost it, the rear end came around she did a 180 right in front of me with her headlights pointed right at me while I was probably doin 60 at least.

I slammed my brake pedal through the floorboard, and checked my rearview also, but luckily the next car was aways back, and he was braking big time also.

The Galant was now in the far right lane going backwards, and then all of a sudden, the car cut right back across the highway again and SMASH went rear first into the concrete wall on the left side of the road. The car spun some more so it was going with traffic instead of facing it, so she ended up doing a 360.

The car never completely stopped, and I think she was trying to limp the car to a spot she could pull over. She was in the left lane still drivin with the rear of the car smashed completely, so I guess she was ok.

I got out of there quick. There was absolutely no place to pull over, and traffic was movin quick. Stopping would have been asking to get rear ended by someone else at high speed.

My heart was in my throat, and I was so scared I drove right past the exit I needed to take, and my friend said the same. We were both shaken even a few hours later while tellin our friends we met up with about it.

In the end it was a one car accident, and I was lucky that no one was right behind me, and that was as light as it was when she lost it.

I am also very very happy that I have this car and have modded it like I did. My car will never sway like hers did before she lost it. My upgraded brakes slowed the car very well even with the stock crappy tires, and there was no nose dive, or loss of control at all. Someone was watchin over me, and Im grateful. Keep an eye out at all times guys. I dont know what she was doing, cell phone (Ilegal in NY while driving), nodded off, picking something up, I have no idea.

If I had gotten hit by her or that barrel???
Old 02-05-2003, 03:39 PM
l33t

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Another close cal, glad you came out without harm.

I just finished explaining in nother topic that here in FL, Pinellas county especially, the drivers are so terrible, that a 30 mile drive down US 19 prompts for 2 or 3 "close calls". Wish i was in NY.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:20 PM
O.G.

I'm glad no one got seriously hurt. This is why I always drive defensively. Your ride is too :wow: to get into an accident.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:23 PM
Liquid Ice

Received 89 Likes on 48 Posts
Damn ... Glad to hear everything worked out for the best for you. You chalk it up to the car and mods, but there's probably some driver skill there too!!!

In the end, the TL-S is still OK so no worries!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:25 PM
Safety Car

glad to hear that ur ok.
Damn, i be sh*tting in my paint!!
Old 02-05-2003, 07:21 PM
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good thing nothing happened to you or your friend. And good thing nothing happened to your car. Your ryde inspires me.