air recirculation flap and control motor

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2003, 04:54 AM
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
air recirculation flap and control motor

need help with HVAC. can anybody post a pic or explain how the air recirculation button works? I'm getting fresh air from outside while the recirculation mode is on - orange illumination.

my A/C still works, just annoying because i'm smelling exhausts from older cars stopped in front of me. Is there a way to test the A/C by making it flash a code, i.e. blower motor, air mix control motor, mode control motor, evap temp sensor. where do i start checking?
Old 04-19-2003, 04:04 PM
Racer

i had that problem, it started when they replaced the panel and didn't hook up that button.

i'm pissed that it still draws in fresh air (but a lesser amount) when i press recirculate. i'm told that's a normal function, which i think is bull****.

when you close the vent, it should be CLOSED, not partially.

you can push the button and the blower will increase output, but it still draws in fresh air, which defeats the purpose of the button in the first place. WTF?

when driving through a dusty area/smelly area, closing the vent never seems to work. i still think it's a defect.
Old 04-19-2003, 07:51 PM
Moderator Alumnus

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mine acts the same way...when i took off the dash to do my video-navi mod I looked at it and everything looked ok, but it just didn't close all the way and nothing i could do would have fixed it. I think it was a design flaw or there might be more reasoning behind it (might need fresh-air so people don't die from carbon monoxide, etc..)
Old 04-20-2003, 09:32 AM
Cruisin'

to pull codes from the HVAC hold down auto/off buttons while putting the car in ACC mode. keep holding, if you see any weird lines (half characters), youll have to look it up in the service manual
Old 04-21-2003, 11:11 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
It's a safety precaution. Even if you turn your system completely off you should still feel outside air coming in from the floor vents. It's to prevent CO poisoning as previously mentioned.
Old 04-21-2003, 11:35 PM
Advanced

Originally posted by trelos
to pull codes from the HVAC hold down auto/off buttons while putting the car in ACC mode. keep holding, if you see any weird lines (half characters), youll have to look it up in the service manual
okay while driving, i entered the Diagnostic Test Code mode by pressing AC AUTO and OFF buttons and I get blinking code from the double 88 digits. From the service manual, it shows that the "fin thermo sensor is short" (blinking code I) and i asked the dealer/parts if i can order that part. They were not sure what it was and suggested I special order an "evaporator" thermo sensor instead. Is this right? Anyhow checked fuse #3 (7.5a driver's side) and it was good. I checked the yellow and black to the recirculation motor pin 5 and it was good. So the only thing left is to replace the recirculation motor and evaporator sensor.

Can someone confirm if you get any led blinking digit by going into diagnostic mode?