Air Intake question

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2002, 10:00 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Air Intake question

I am thinking of buying the air intake from this site, but I have some questions for you guys. I know most of you have it. My questions are:

1. Whats the difference between regular and short ram?
2. What is and do I need the Air Bypass Valve?
3. How loud is it? Does it make noise? When? How does it sound?
4. Does it make the TL faster? By how much?

Thank you all.
Old 09-21-2002, 12:39 PM
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1. Difference 60 to 100 bucks. The 'regular' draws air from low in the bumper giving it cooler air. Cooler air equals more hp. The short ram filter sits in the engine bay drawing hot air at low speeds. At high speeds enough cold air rushes in the engine compartment where it is claimed that they gains are the same.

2. A bypass valve keeps your from CAI from sucking water into the intake and destroying the engine. Do you need it? Everybody's got an opinion. Some have not installed it and do not have any problems, so long as you don't go through deep puddles.

3. Claims are the short ram is louder than CAI. They are mostly quiet until you get the RPM's up into the VTEC range. If you don't know when VTEC kicks in it will definately be apparent after you put on a CAI. It is an aggresive sound that takes away the luxury car persona. It does hiss and whine at low speeds and idle. Not loud but not quiet. It is louder when you first start the car. Some people like the sound as they think it sounds like a turbo wastegate. I hated it at first but the sound has grown on me.

4. Does it make it faster? The claims are any where from a 4 to 15 hp gain. Any gain should make a car faster but is it perceptable. Seems nobody has gone to the track run on stock intake then put on a CAI and run again. There is a placebo effect. It will probably feel faster because you'll love the vtec noise so much that you'll be constantly mashing the gas. So the gains are there but not very much.